Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • Guys, since today all who have GH3 in their posession, post any systematic opinion/review into

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5304/gh3-user-reviews-and-opinions

• Does firmware 1.0 have focus peaking? If not, any word from a substantial/reliable source on when/if it will be added (via firmware update)?

• @Manu4Vendetta Where? Can't find it in this forum as up to now

• Noise,Softness (yes I know the SLRMAGIC is soft),mushy image...not exactly the best demonstration of the GH3s capabilities.

• All I wanne see is sharp images with possibilities for moare and aliasing. ;-)

• @EspenB Yeah it all seems like its being avoided :-D

• I think it's timely to quote a sentence from the action movie The Rock; "I don't like soft-ass shit!"

• Re; lens correction issues talked about earlier: Is there any documentation available from Panasonic which describes this feature and which lenses has such firmware LSI correction of the image?

And 2nd, using other brands of m43 lenses on any Panasonic camera will never have lens corection in this way I pressume?

Does Olympus lenses have LSI correction on any Olympus camera?

• About the @driftwood test (nice test btw):

In Panasonic website they say there are two levels of profiles. The PICTURE PROFILES and the CREATIVE CONTROL. The High Dynamic is under the CREATIVE CONTROL. Would be nice to see a test showing the CREATIVE CONTROL options.

• @Mimirsan @EspenB

The purpose of this video with GH3 and 12mm lens is more like a "hardware to do a mood/feeling". The combination of lens flare, slow motion and sad/romantic music follows the same mood/feeling from the "Hold Me Now" anamorphic video.

• @apefos That may be but these kind of pretentious videos could of been shot on a 5d,nex,Gh2 etc and you would not know the difference. Driftwoods video at least is offering examples of the features/capabilities of the GH3. I got nothing from Reids video. Nothing we aint seen before on a dozen cameras before it.

• @Mimirsan

I understand what you mean. You want to see the GH3 hardware results to judge the camera quality and capabilities, not a mood/feeling results which can be done with other cameras. I just don't see these videos as pretentious, I see them as other purpose, the purpose to show mood/feeling achieved with a hardware instead of a hardware analyses. Maybe this topic is not the correct place for these videos, they must be in a "director topic - how to use hardware features to turn a script intention into a motion mood".

Just started a new topic in this direction:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5306/directors-topic-how-to-use-hardware-features-to-turn-script-intention-into-motion-moodfeeling#Item_1

• That was a really helpful video, Driftwood. Looking forward to the next one.

BTW, fellas, the video 'A day in Montmartre' said that it was filmed with the Neutral profile. I didn't see that in Driftwood's video. Am I missing something?

• All I wanne see is sharp images with possibilities for moare and aliasing. ;-)

I thought the B&W daytime stuff was pretty sharp and detailed... no aliasing either. That seems to only be happening with panny lenses.

• Should be up soon :-)

• Andrew sends his love...says "it's called filmmaking."

• I have a special request for early GH3 users:

ISO 12233 Resolution Test Chart. This will let us see the moire / Aliasing if any plus some apparent direct resolution. And please test with a Lumix lens and a MF adapted lens to see if the in camera processing is introducing artifacts as some have hinted.

www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/sharpness/

Thanks for this!

• so glad to see the green tint gone =)

• The biggest problem with moire - especially in the field lets forget charts for a moment - is wide angle/hi detail shots with something in the picture (like a mesh grill). I think with most DSLRS there's no escape. Its much less apparent when you zoom in / have decent lenses, but sadly its still there in the GH3. Arguably slightly better than a hi-bitrate hacked GH2.

I have a 'death' scene which I always test on (trees and grill) which will more than adequately detail this in an up-and-coming review.

• This is getting exciting to see more and more test footage. That last video from @emeric was very impressive for the GH3 over the GH2 as far as high ISO is concerned.

• do we have any AGC control? Just about to invest in an external mixer and would like to see how this pairs up with the GH3. Still waiting for release here in Australia unfortunately.

• The biggest problem with moire - especially in the field lets forget charts for a moment - is wide angle/hi detail shots with something in the picture (like a mesh grill). I think with most DSLRS there's no escape.

Yep. I've even seen it on 4k Red... and on film transferred to blu-ray. Panavision Genesis had it pretty bad from what I've heard also. It can even happen on that holy-grail, overpriced-dinosaur-tech, fanboy wet-dream C300. Anyways, it doesn't matter what your capturing format is... if your project is shot digitally, or going to see digital distribution, there's always a good probability your going to see moire somewhere. It's just part of the digital world. Most people don't even care though, unless it's so distractingly bad, that it's showing up in hair and other organic areas. It was just those ass-hats at that dvx-forum that were using it to turn people away from DSLRs shooting in the beginning. Now the moire talk is just out of control. Remember back to before those ass-clowns started pointing it out on everything know to man... how often did you just naturally notice it?

I have a 'death' scene which I always test on (trees and grill) which will more than adequately detail this in an up-and-coming review.

Well hey, if it's still got that 1000-line real 1080p detail like the GH2... and the moire is only showing up on select surfaces, like grills and power lines, then it's all good over here! I can deal with that. No problem. :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions