Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • @EspenB After all they have added is that really the deal breaker for you? Until we see some charted original clips I'm not convinced aliasing will be a big issue.

• One thing which is completely unclear as of yet is wifi feature and what we can expect from that.. Custom profiles would be the shit. :)

• If we connect the rumors pretendint that GH3 has the same em-5 (supposly Sony sensor) and the fact that EM-5 has the same Nex-5 sensor (proove: http://www.43rumors.com/nex-5r-and-e-m5-have-the-same-dynamic-range/ )

Logicly GH3 could have Nex-5 sensor

• In firmware .5 I couldn't get wifi recording working - only photos. Though it will be operational on release Im promised.

Analysis of quantisation shows a definite improvement. Images and macroblocking/QP evaluation will appear tomorrow using 'Vega H264 Analyser'.

Mesh test: Std -5,-5,-5,-5

gh3_All-i_24p_p1010631_mesh_test.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
    gh3_All-i_24p_p1010631_mesh_test_qik_grade.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    HDMI0ut_1080p_is_clean.png
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    GH3_Wireless_tethering_Live_View.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
    PanyTV_HDMI_In_from_gh3_24p_1080p_HDMIOut__reporting1080p50hz_clean_onscreen_in_firmware_0.5.png
    2560 x 1440 - 5M
  • @amateur Haha, that would be hilarious if true. That was my prediction the very day I saw Philip Bloom's "Genesis". After only a few minutes of watching that footage... I thought quietly to myself... damn, this totally looks like Nex footage but somehow with a Panasonic color pallet.

I know people probably don't agree with me at all on this, but seriously... there are some striking similarities with the Sony NEX series and all the footage I've seen so far from the GH3.

• @driftwood, thanx for the updates and screenshots. Can't wait to see more of your report. Look like it's gonna be good grading footage.

• @driftwood Any chance we could see a test between 0,0,0,0 and -5,-5,-5,-5 on a resolution chart? Would be interesting to see how contrast and sharpness affect the image and if moire is worsened or improved based on the settings. Thanks.

• @Tron In depth tests like your suggestion are being done in Bracknell next week when I will have more gear available. I do feel that '-5 for all' is not going to be ideal for GH3.

The BIG question is will it be worth hacking. I think so despite the GH3's big improvements over the stock GH2. This is because the decoder constraints for the GH3's Level 5 High profile are far higher (6.5 times higher) than that of level 4.0 in the GH2. And with more cores and better heat dissipitation I see no reason why the GH3 can't be pushed further than anything seen before. But that will be down to VK. :-)

• Sounds great... thanks!

• @driftwood how flat of a pic can we get on the gh3 compared to the gh2 ..and also if you can comment on the dynamic range of the gh3 compared to the gh2. Thanks

• @driftwood next hack will be for the gh3 or for fz200??

• @driftwood the last 3 pictures you uploaded are from GH3?

• Awaiting the news on this. Cheers for taking the time to put it through its paces. I have been excited about the gh3 for a while. too much worrying seen so far on forums. I hope some solid tests can make things clearer because i have been wanting to move to the micro four thirds sensor for a while now.

• From what I have seen already, gh3 (pre-production) doesn't seem to give the promised "insane resolution" so far. Will driftwood be able to bright us about this?

• @driftwood have you noticed any improvement in audio with AGC and the like?

• The BIG question is will it be worth hacking. I think so despite the GH3's big improvements over the stock GH2. This is because the decoder constraints for the GH3's Level 5 High profile are far higher (6.5 times higher) than that of level 4.0 in the GH2. And with more cores and better heat dissipitation I see no reason why the GH3 can't be pushed further

So anyone who wants a hacked NEX-5x that can record very high quality video at very high bitrates, can take native m4/3 lenses and comes with many valuable convenience features for doing video work; should buy a GH3.

Anyone who wanted a direct successor to the GH2 (a camera that produces images so crisp and sharp that people on this forum apply patches and use vintage lenses to soften the output) should buy a ...

• @Tex

You can get same thing cheaper, I mean Fotga camera base. I though that you have something like full circular collar.

Otherwise it is offtopic here.

• Looks like GH3 now has RAW support in Adobe ... anyone sitting on GH3 RAW images we can pixel peep?

"Camera Raw 7.3 release candidate adds raw file support for the following cameras: Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 Casio Exilim EX-FC300S Nikon D600* Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus STYLUS XZ-2 iHS Panasonic DMC-GH3 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax Q10"

• @vicx You just blew my mind! :)

• Audio: GH2 v GH3

GH2 with Pasadena Pulse audio hack.png
    731 x 500 - 134K
    GH3 Audio.png
    696 x 499 - 130K
  • I really want to see a good comparison sometime with the GH3 pitted against the NEX6.

• @manu4vendetta wow, do you have a vimeo account to ask him what what the video settings? : iso

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions