Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • When "pros" go looking for gear, they tend to buy expensive. When "amateurs" buy gear, they tend to buy cheap, regardless of what kind of price/performance you actually get. Companies who want to compete must perform and play the part as well. That means if they want to snag some of Canon's market share, they have to increase price accordingly so that "pros" will subconsciously think that they are getting value for the price. It's a well known phenomenon as strange as it is.

• I don't think that the gh3 will be able to price much higher than $ 900/1000 body because it will be more or less equaling (quality wise) camera like the Apsc Nikon D7000 if everything is good. The only reason that Panasonic would put it higher is that they really want to target the indie filmmakers market with the gh3 video capabilities. But I think it is a vocal but small community and I think they would prefer to touch a much bigger user base by pricing it competitively against competing camera like the D7000. Another thing is that a revolutionary camera price point could be on its way with the full frame D600 in the $ 1500 range.

• I´d expect it to be priced in the same range as the OM-D (body only).

• Another thing is that a revolutionary camera price point could be on its way with the full frame D600 in the $ 1500 range.

Biggest thing I do not understand is this sacramental, long running in circles and wanting full frame. Cheap full frame, any full frame (look at Pentax forums, it loooks like they get some infection).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It is simply down to the overall assumption that short focal field = better + the assumption that full frame has better DR and low light capabilities. (without any context).

• I am not talking about video, because I am not that big fan of the bloom look, which mean super shallow DOF. It is more of an effect than true cinematography. But in photography it is different and even if DR and low light depends more on the technology use than pure sensor size, at equivalent technology they will be superior.

• For me that I use the GH2 underwater, any sort of remote control is welcome. Maybe one day I will break free to buy a new housing for every new camera. Current camera underwater housings are tailored perfectly to the camera shape so it means that my beloved Nauticam GH2 housing will be nearly trash with the new GH3. For amateur camcorders this is not always true because many housings have the Lanc or infrared controls. So some housing fits several camcorders models.

One Italian company makes a universal underwater housing for Canon and Nikon camera using their ability to be fully controlled via USB. They built a small electronic circuit with a different firmware for each model. So when a new Canon or Nikon drsl come out they immediately write a new firmware and you are set:

http://www.easydive.it/public/uploads/prodotti/leoII_pro_4.jpg

Thanks to the USB Control Panel all major controls are remote, avoiding the need to build custom mechanical buttons. You can use the same housing if you buy a new camera.

http://www.easydive.it/public/uploads/prodotti/leoII_pro_1.jpg

Unfortunately Panny never had this ability while Canon or Nikon users can control their camera even through Lightroom.

Maybe with these new GH3 remote control capabilities someone will be able to build an universal housing...

• @RRRR It seems DR performance is more related to pixel pitch size than overall sensor size. I do want Panasonic to supersize pixel pitch!!!

• @stonebat it makes sense though, doesn´t it? Just because something is physically larger should not mean it is better, if it has the same properties as something smaller. Just smaller / bigger, ideally.

I recall a few years back when I got the lx3 people were talking about how the m43 sensor would not be possible to improve over it´s then current state. A few years later and m43 sensors perform light-years ahead of what was possible back then. Funnily, some people are now saying the same things (also about aps-c and other sensor formats). What it comes down to is how everything is handled... The megapixel race screwed a lot of things up.

And yes, I´m all for a super-sized pixel pitch from Panny!

@danyyyel - I´d say bigger, different, rather than superior.

• @RRRR I guess adding more pixels is easier and cheaper than making each pixels bigger. A bigger pixel pitch might take longer to refresh a sensor. Anyways this would be another topic for another day ;)

• Good news! Focus peaking in GH3! ... That is actually a very helpful feature to have in camera..

/ FT5 rumor, source: 43rumors.com

• YEEESSSS!!!!

• Looking at all other things it is natural thing to expect.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Theoretically: Could you port this feature to the GH2? Just like you did with the GH1 to the GF1? What are the odds of Panny updating their old cameras with peaking via firmware?

• GH3 FT5 rumor: 72mbps all i, will it be the end of the hack?

• @apefos

You had been away for too long? :-)

No it is not "end of the hack" :-)

You can check top message in topic for features and probabilities.

• Still missing some features, at least for stills, like highlight peaking in live view and, more important, customizable minimum shutter speed option for A priority shooting mode (with/without auto ISO).

• @Vitaliy I agree its not the end of the hack, on the contrary the start of something new.

@apefos It's just the beginning. Think how much the GH2 Has developed because of all the great peooke such as Vitaliy, Driftwood, CBrandin, Lpowell and so on as well as all the testers and contributors. Because of them they took a consumer camera and turned it into the beast that the GH2 is. And you say GH3 72mbit I Frame haha. Well that only half the bitrate of he latest 150mb GH2 settings such as Canis Majoris. Imagine the scope that we could have with the GH3. With a new hack it could crush the competition.

Yesterday compared the 5dmk3 to the gh2 shot for shot. I laughed at the 5d. Laughed more at the price my friend paid for it.

So much of the image is in the glass. But so much of post is in the codec and the frames.

I have high expectations of the Gh3 and will suppor vitaliy and others anyway I can to develop a gh3 hack.

• As the day go by you have to ask yourself what is the strategy for Panasonic, or if they have one with the GH3. If all the rumors prove to be true, we are getting something ground breaking and market destabilizing. Not only for the Panasonic competitors but for Pana video division also.

Have Panasonic Lumix division decided to be the de facto standard in the dslr/hybrid video market even at the expense of its pro video division with the quality/feature of the gh3. If they are completely independent and have concluded that they had an opportunity to put a foothold in the dslr/hybrid camera market with the technology and goodwill that they have with the gh2.

Or, is it only a test bed from which Panasonic camcorder division will devise its future camera line. Putting things like 10 bit, higher avc-intra codec and form factor to differentiate itself from the gh3. They have been super low profile lately with all the Sony, Canon etc camera that seem to pop up every week.

• Or, is it only a test bed from which Panasonic camcorder division will devise its future camera line. Putting things like 10 bit, higher avc-intra codec and form factor to differentiate itself from the gh3. They have been super low profile lately with all the Sony, Canon etc camera that seem to pop up every week.

Next major pro cameras generation will be raw. This is that I think. And in two year all that is only 1080p, do not have 240fps, and do not shoot raw will be just entry models.

• I'll be happy with FHD 24p and 60p and 4:2:2 10-bit.

• I'll be happy with 1080p 4:2:2 10-bit.

This is for now. I am already able to see huge wining in 2014 Photokina - "How they could offer us this camera, it has not integrated 3D sync, recorded resolution is just 4K, and all this at 120fps only? No 16bit raw? Why they artifically made only compressed 12bit raw? What they are thinking? Only some stupid fool will buy it for $2000! No thanks."

• We want more!!! Ironically the most impressive video I watched this year was made by using GoPro HD2. So so image quality but lots of moving lines and pretty text flying and chasing around. Plexus for After Effects seems very interesting. Anyways my point is that decent image quality + awesome editing skill can entice viewers. Gh2 has it. Of course Gh3 will have it even if it might not support 4K, 120fps, and uncompressed 12bit raw.

• 'The GH3 is weather sealed, has a new 16 Mpx sensor, ALL-I 72Mbit/s video recording, 100-12.800 ISO, external vertical battery grip and full Application remote control.' 'The GH3 is bigger and heavier, it is built like a tank' 'Filmmmakers are going to have all the connections they need for a professional production'

• wow
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions