Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @jizzyjones

It's not 422, but it is real.

he didn't mention what else the new cameras has.

Guess the leaks begin now.

• I like how Reid now calls the Hack "unreliable" before it was all awesome hack this and that.

Oh! How fickle these Bloggers are! :-D

I personally await the facts not the rumours from some gobshite (remember that we had news of sources that there was to be global shutter in GH2?).

Either way (going from the absurd pricing on the G5) its gonna be a pricey upgrade in comparison to the GH1>GH2. Especially with the new X kit lens.

• I really hope the high bitrate 4:2:2 mode (if there will be one) will be also for 1080/50p because I wouldn´t like to be in that awful 4:2:0 color space again just because I do a lot of dynamic, fast scenes

• +1 @Mimirsan bloggers bloggers bloggers smh. Can't wait for all the rumors and dust to settle down and GH3 is finally revealed.

• Btw I also have a source in asia who tells me that the GH3 will directly record your films/videos shot in 4k 4.2.2 super intraframe in a all new supercodec and automatically pitch to all local film producers. It will even print out movie posters for you.

Amazingly it will also replace your own basic outdated "human" vision with mega high deforama and will be the best lover you've ever had!

Oh and it has Global shutter :-D

• It will make morning coffee, too.

• IMO the Hack's biggest benefit isn't just the improvement in quality, but the instructive nature of the improvement and the users needs and desires for the camera. Panasonic, Canon et al, have been aided ENORMOUSLY by the hacking community. They may have stumbled into this realm, but there was a community of film makers that were already in existence using other exotic and cobbled together means to try and achieve a higher quality of image. These users already knew what they wanted and once DSLR's had video capability the flood gates where opened and users expanded the possibilities and only after that have the camera makers adjusted their goals to try and meet the needs and demands of the users.

The GH3 has a chance to be much more than it may have otherwise been if not for the Hack and the input of the user community. I think now there is a pressure in the industry to give the users more of what they want and with the BMC adding even more pressure I think that also had an effect on what the GH3 would be. I'm very hopeful about this camera. Giving users options for higher bit rates, frame rates and more range of adjustment on settings seems like a very painless thing to give to users and it was prompted by the Hack and user community. I actually don't want the Hack to go away. It's not unlike the PC community that loves to overclock and otherwise tweak their computers to do more. Opening up the BIOS was a good thing and to be embraced by the manufacturers.

• Guys, really, any reasons to discuss fantasies of the guy who never actually had any sources previously (except pasting from some forums) and is known for inaccuracy and incompetence?

• I'm willng to start a paypal, those who want to bet on what Andrew said being right candrop 10 bucks in.

Let me know, I need extra money

• He (Andrew) may be right about the 80mbit codec..I guess we will see. But in any case as was previously mentioned the hack and the community has helped Panasonic enormously, so if they want this to continue they would be very wise to have "expert" features available in a menu or something, for flexible customization, so Vitaly, Driftwood, LPowell etc...can continue tweaking areas of the camera that the standard user and aspiring filmmaker does not have the time or expertise to do. In fact if anything the camera should be more customizable than the GH2 was, in fact if they restrict the customization then the GH3 will never reach the sustained level of interest the GH2 has had, even if the improve a lot of other areas.

• @Astro

Please, keep on topic and not turn it into other "hack" thing.
    This is about GH3.

• @vitaliy I was talking about the GH3, is the firmware and onboard flexibility not a part of the GH3? I was simply suggesting that they make the firmware tweakable on the GH3 for ongoing interest and development, how is that not part of the GH3?

• I was simply suggesting that they make the firmware tweakable on the GH3 for ongoing interest and development, how is that not part of the GH3?

It is just getting old :-) No one must make anything tweakable.

• @Vitaliy OK point taken, I wont mention it again

• If the higher bit rate for the GH3 is true, then it would mean that Panasonic is being responsive to the demands of the users. I'm sure they are very up to date on just what is going on in the User community of the DSLM/R world in terms of Hacks and HDMI recorders in order to extract the highest possible quality. They fully intended the GH line to be hybrid Cameras so none of this conjecture would seem off base given the factors. Sooner or later someone was going to do something like this. The GH Hacks have pretty much proven the logic of in camera high bit rates and a need for greater flexibility in parameter adjustment.

They now know that many users don't care about making the files smaller at the expense of less quality. They now know that real world experience proved the strength of their product and that it could be pushed much further without fear of damage to the camera. None of this cost Panasonic a dime. Now they can reap the benefits of this user research and experiment.

I just hope that they extend the range of adjustment of settings. It's one of the things that frustrates me most. Just a bit more range on the setting adjustments would be great. New and more useful Color profiles would be HUGE! I wonder of they'll do a LOG profile of their own?

• Panasonic Consumer and Broadcast have little to do with each other.

I think that Broadcast has a history of listening, but they also have a history of listening in their own way. Hence, the AF100.

But, Consumer department really did listen this time... it won't be crazy, but it will be worth the upgrade. I'm already preparing for it, personally.

I'm gonna try to stop talkin' before I get in trouble, but Andrew leaked a lot already so. lol

• @Kholi It sounds like you know more than we do. Were you part of the testing or do you just have your own sources? It also sounds like you're unofficially confirming Andrews rumor (good news!). :-)

• what would you guys estimate the price would be around? I have 2500usd stashed away for a gh3/12-35 kit. Think that will be enough?

• @boxfx

y0 Boz, long time man.

I tap people's phones and dig through trash a lot. Andrew's telling accurate info here, dunno who is source is but yeah. xD I'm sure there'll be a lot more info soon.

• Replacement percentage: if the IQ looks ten percent better all round, including some gains in aliasing and DR, I would buy it immediately. At five percent I would be inclined to wait and see, and enjoy the present excellent state of the hack on the GH2. What do other people think it would take to upgrade to a GH3, in terms of the difference in IQ?

• Hey @Kholi , it has been a while! :-)

The higher bit-rate is a good thing, if true. It means that Panny is truly kicking things up a notch with the GH3. Now if they can give us better lowlight and a bit more dynamic range, I will be truly happy. Better colorscience & flatter image control (ala Canon's picture styles) would be icing on the cake!

• One would think there will be a $2000-$2500 GH3X and a regular $1200 GH3. With the GH3X replacing the AF100. Nah, probably not, because these are two seperate divisions. However, it would not seem so strange, because of the 5D MarkIII and also BMCC. It would be Panasonic just jumping to where it's all going, with a low end "cinema" type camera. This would not compete with ENG-style camera's and camcorders.

• Anyway, up until dealers and press will get details we won't get good rumors.

• If the Nikon D600 is released at less than $ 2000 even to a $ 1600 as strongly rumored it will put a big big pressure on the apsc and even m43 cameras prices. So the gh3 body and other olympus camera won't be able to be higher than $ 1000 at most, I believe.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions