Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Whatever it is, just make sure Gh3 has the same battery, same size and same price like the Gh2 and I'm a happy man.

• I just read the GH-3 will have 24 megapixels. No removable LCD like I hoped.

• For me the most important thing is having the GH3 of the right color: pink of course.

• @disneytoy where did you read it?

• For me the most important thing is having the GH3 of the right color: pink of course

Yes. If Panasonic won't make camera in my favourite color it'll be inexcusable.

• Panasonic GH3 has a new 16 megapixel sensor. It is not the same of the Panasonic G5! Panasonic defined this as a “Wide Dynamic Range” sensor. Dynamic range increase looks like to be more in the shadows than in the highlights. ISO goes up to 12.800.

The GH3 has intraframe 72 Mbps mode

Via: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gh3-with-new-16-megapixel-wide-dynamic-range-sensor-12-800-iso-and-72mbits-in-video/

• Saddest thing here will be seeing guys who fail to understand physics and will look for 4 stops DR increase :-)

Btw, main idea of BMCC camera sensor design is to reduce sensor and ADC noise as much as possible (hence, good cooling and use of double ADC, as early raw research show, producing 12bits by mapping 16bits double ADC output)

• WOW, if that is true, it would be very exciting. I am all for dynamic range because it is the missing element from the total film look. Getting 2 to 3 stop DR in a gh3 would put it very very near to the more pro cameras like the F3 and above, looking at the Zacuto test. A $ 1000 body gh3 and a $ 3000 BMC would really be very very good for the indie camera world.

• @danyyyel

Saddest thing with DR is that somehow it makes many people think that it is now good idea to not use lighting.

• That is true. It does help a lot smaller production when you have to balance against sunlight because the only viable solution is high wattage HMI light. But we will see a lot of over reliance on DR without lighting (shaping) as we see with high Iso shoot.

Black magic where not stupid to put a good DP as the first to show footage of the BMC. Be prepared to see an onslaught of ugly footage from it once it is widely available. But one thing is that with the wider DR, even the more amateur will be able to achieve at least Ok result even not knowing how they did it because the camera will be more forgiving on the exposure.

• So, 72mbit i-frame codec, 1080p50/60, better build/weather sealing body, 12800iso (probably useable at 6400), battery grip, most likely improved dr/latitude in shadows, better screen/EVF and maybe dual SD-card slots. Heard nothing on profiles/colour improvements as of yet.

• @Jizzyjones

The G5 has some new color modes that are more like smooth on steroids. Those modes have a much flatter response than anything on the GH2. Hopefully, the GH3 will have those modes as well as having a fantastic new sensor.

• how will it compare with the Black Magic, the C300 and the new Sony A99 can't wait to find out!

• G5 has NO playback thru HDMI whilst in Live view/Record modes making it impossible to record/monitor to HDMI. Lets hope the GH3 will have this.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I believe the DR cravers are those that can't light up a landscape. You can always say ETTR but then you loose any shadows that are left...

Some rumors are speaking about an electronic first curtain shutter, which I applaud! My extreme telephoto shots are always blurred below 1/100s no matter what solid tripod I use :( . Can you see a good technical reason against using an extended DR mode that does two silent exposures (with the electronic shutter) and merges them while still in RAW?

• Is it just a coincidence, market trends, corporate competition or something more that both new sensors from Olly and Panasonic are touting the wider dynamic range?

• @duartix

If the shutter speeds are long enough or if the subject is moving merging them won't work.

• Just a little trivia to wet your appetite.

The G1 was announced on Monday Sep 12, 2008. PhotoKina started Tuesday September 23(Tuesday) that year.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcg1

The GF1 was announced on September 2, 2009 but there was no PhotoKina that year.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgf1

The GH2 was announced on Monday Sep 21, 2010. PhotoKina started that day(Tuesday September 21 2010).

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgh2

I think we will see the GH3 announced on Monday 9-17-2012 because Photokina starts on 9-18-2012(Tuesday). I think they will announce it one day early to get a jump on some of the other manufactures.

I don't think they will announce it the Tuesday before that because that is September 11th and that just isn't a great day to say look at our fun new product.

Maybe on Wednesday 9-12-2012?

I bought both the GF1 and GH2 the first day they were available in the US. For the GF1 that was the first week of October and for the GH2 it was the first week of December.

I think the GH3 will be available in the US around Thanksgiving.

These are just guesses. What do you think?

• Pretty damn close to it @mpgxsvcd That'll be my birthday if it did :-)

• Pass me your Crystal Ball?

• @driftwood

They should just send one of the prototypes to your house as a present then. That would be the best marketing money they ever spent.

• Dual wifi live streaming 12 bit RAW 1080p to external SSD recorder. Am I just dreaming?

• @mpgxsvcd, hi do you have any example online about those flat picture profile. Is it the hi something name profile, until now I did not see any example showing it clearly.

• Sorry, this is just brilliant. And so true.

"Saddest thing with DR is that somehow it makes many people think that it is now good idea to not use lighting."

The best thing about the gh2's poor DR is that its absolutely forced me to get off my lazy ass and be on location 45 minutes before sunrise.

• The GH-2 is great but the highlight roll off gives away a non film look. Even the Red camera has a function in the software to try and restore or fill in from the other channels that are not clipped calculated by the color temp. I keep saying the shadow detail is not that important. Almost every colorist "crushes" the blacks anyway. I've never heard of a colorist crushing the highlights to blow them out.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions