Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @disneytoy, i'm just a newbie so pardon the question, but I thought the idea was to expose for the highlights and then if your cameras strength is in the shadows you can recover that info. Is this not the right approach?

If the GH3's strength will be towards the shadows wouldn't a user try to deal with the highlights knowing they have better handling down low? This stuff is still new to me.

• The all-I mode sounds great! I'd actually rather have 4:2:0 with all-Intra motion, than 4:2:2 with that cruddy log-GOP videoish motion. This will be a nice feature if true!

• If you are looking into the GH2 screen and the highlights are blinking, you definitely have a choice to make. You can live with the overexposed bits, or underexpose until everything is in range and then deal with the fact that the exposure is not optimum. The problem arises when you have say sunlight streaming in through a window in an interior scene, where the DR is too great to make an accommodation, This has happened to me on more than one occasion. Then you are looking at various things like filters to cope with the imbalance, or multiple cams focused on different areas. There is also a built in DR feature for the GH2, which is why some of us wish we could control it more precisely.

• One thing I also know. It is that it has Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi direct support.

• I found this table on a HDR photogaphers website. (http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr_tutorial/)

Typical outdoor sunlit scene  100,000:1 ~17EV
    16Bit TIFF 65,536:1 ~16EV
    The human eye 10,000:1 ~14EV
    A film camera Up to ~2000:1 ~11EV
    Average DSLR typically ~400:1 ~8.5EV
    Good monitor 500:1 to 1000:1 ~9-10EV
    JPG Image 256:1 8EV
    Photo print 200:1 ~7-8EV

Of course it would be great to have a camera that can capture 16EV but when you compress that much DR into an 8bit per channel JPEG it is why HDR looks cool sometimes but not very natural. I think that is why the GH2 image is often so pleasing, it just happens to record things right in the window of what our displays are capable of. The GH2 has a DR that matches a typical LCD monitor and its resolution also matches that of our displays. It hits a sweet spot pretty well. The only problem is that it is hard to capture all scenery in only 8EV and as other cameras start to capture more DR it is shown that having greater DR is extremely useful even if are going to compress it down later.

I don't expect the GH3 to have a world beating DR but I do hope Panansonic has applied some creativity to getting a better result. I am very impressed by the HDR mode and results of the Magic Lantern firmware on Canon cameras.

• http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gh3-has-wifi-and-remote-control-applications/

"Sources told us what we will be able to do with the GH3:

1) remotely control the GH3 with your iPad or iPhone or any other Android device. 2) It has a Cloud and and Backup service running through the Lumix Club 3) Of course fully integarated with social networks like Facebook. 4) Some other features (like wireless printing)."

Cool infos about the remote control thing, but who cares about the social network thing ?

• @bechou

It had been knowf for a while, check message above and GH3 firmware suggestions topic.

As for Social networks. Many normal guys care.

• ah ok, sorry for that Vitality. Many normal guys care, but i thought GH3 was not for normal guys... Does this function is also available on the G5 ?

• Many normal guys care, but i thought GH3 was not for normal guys...

You mean for weirdos? :-) Nope.

Does this function is also available on the G5 ?

Nope, G5 does not have any Wi-Fi.

• Btw, I updates first post with rumored specs with probabilities. Specs taken from suggestions topics.

• The 1080P 50/60 would be a big help, having being used to the TM700 a while back...great for slowmo! 1080p120/1080p100 special modes...that would be awesome!! but I see the probability is low on that. Hopefully they may just add editable color profiles...but that would not be much of a probability I guess.

• I think making things can be and should be moved to mobile applications. Including all profiles things.

• @mpgxsvcd Comparing to what normally is a HDR bracketed sequence, taking a merged HDR RAW in camera, would only be residually slower than the slowest of those bracketed shots. But that is assuming an instant readout and infinite bandwidth...

I still believe it would be very useful as an alternative to bracketing as there are much less shutter actuations and less time span on the whole capture, thus: less wear, less vibration, less files, less motion blur and less workflow. :)

• @Vitality_Kiselev No just mean for ambitious guys ;-) (end off-topic)

• I want to learn the expectations. GH3 allow it:

• instead of "all I" why not tweakable H264-Hi422P ? :p

• @Faudel

For now we have zero idea about that will be available in mobile apps. May be all the tweaks as we asked.

• Today I was at a photo equipment shop and the Panasonic salesman came, I am at Athens, Greece. I asked about the GH3 release and he said about November. But about in a month he could have a sample at the shop for preview. He said 16Mp sensor and weather sealed body. I asked what lens would be the kit lens, and he said a new 14-140mm weather sealed lens. He said also a new battery grip. "They are trying to appeal to the pro market" he said. He said also the prize would be around 1700 euros. Oh well.

• New 14-140? I hope they make it brighter or constant f4 and make the aperture adjustment faster when zooming to avoid brightness changes. The price seems ok.

• @inviev Uh... 2100 USD for a GH3 and kit-lens?! Or only GH3? Looks like we will see the price bump after all..

• @MarkV he was talking about the kit, so likely GH3 + new 14-140 = 2100 USD or whatever...

• They still charge 1900$ for the GH2+14-140 here in Sweden...

• I expect a price bump -- but US $2100 for a kit (about $1700 for a body) is a bit excessive, and from the perspective of most pros -- laughable for a micro-four-thirds camera.

If these guys at his forum hack it and make it a powerful video camera -- I'll buy the damn thing at that price. But until then -- I have zero interest in a circa $1700 micro-four-thirds video enabled stills camera.

• @oscillian

In December I paid US $699 for the GH2 with 14-42mm kit lens.

• I could see a new $1800 to $2000 (US) price tag for the GH3. It will have a better lens and obviously tons of new features. It's not that much of a bump up from the GH2's kit price of $1500 when it came out.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions