Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Non-multi sensor=fail. But I will wait and see, not in the mood for more swarming noise specks. Color looks OK. Anyone here like what they see more than a GH2?

• Where can you download the 1080p version?

• I think Philip enabled 1080p and download option.

• At least from what little we've seen so far the hacked GH2 does just as well or possibly better. That Musgo clip looked a heck of a lot better than Genesis in a narrative shooting situation, but it also could have had something to do with the post-processing.

If it's a Sony sensor, we may be gaining in some areas and losing them in others. Time will tell.

It really needs a clean, captureable HDMI output this time around to bump this camera past the GH2 in some respects in order to make up for any added deficiencies.

The GH3's build quality and ergonomics look to be much improved, however.

• If its sony, maybe it is capable of 120 frames per second. Firmware time.

• Until I see direct comparisons I'm going to reserve judgment and not take any of these premature reviews as gospel. It's WAY too early to really start going off on the GH3 without having a camera in the hands of many users to put thru the paces. I know it's hard to resist the urge to do this kind of stuff, but can we at least wait for more than one video before we start really getting into the pixel peeping? I'd like there to be some consensus based on real world tests of the production models.

• @kellar42 The frame rate on the uploaded 1080P vid is 23.976, you can check that with MediaInfo.

If you cant download it...get NetVideoHunter and install it in Firefox and you can download any resolution video that has been uploaded.

I have looked at the video a lot, its a nice production and stuff, but to be honest, the more I have watched it, the more doubts I have about the camera and the less I like the video. Soft images (almost out of focus...but not) none of the shots of the guy in bed are close to being sharp and detailed...and many others too. Then theres the murky colors (compare it to Reverie...how old is that now?). I just dont see (and I am not talking about digital over sharpening) those nice clean looking sharp and detailed images much at all, its like their lenses had a film of dust over them. Oh well on the positive side, if it does not live up to expectations...the GH2 will be cheap LOL!! I will buy another one or two of those until something a lot better comes along.

• @DrDave

DrDave Non-multi sensor=fail

Agreed!

DrDave Color looks OK.

Color looks murky to me (and thats not pixel peeping) just looks generally murky.

DrDave Anyone here like what they see more than a GH2?

Nope!

• Who knows what gets shared between companies when they use each others parts and IP. In a lot of ways I was not cheered by hearing that the GH3 may have a Sony sensor because I do not like the softer Sony look. At the same time I don't mind the sharp and vibrant look of some OMD video (however ruined by awful compression artifcats) so perhaps a Sony sensor can preserve the GH look while giving the image more flexibility.

I guess that is why I am not a complete fan of the Genesis short. My favourite shots were the GH2 looking ones but across the whole short it looks like it could have been shot with a NEX. Maybe they have graded a softer look into it or maybe looking more like a Sony is a property of the new picture. Still have to wait till Monday and beyond to answer these questions.

• The press conference on Monday will be

1 p.m. German time which means

11 a.m. GMT

We, Igor and I will report from ther via Twitter which can be found here:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/dieter-knuettel-page

Later I will upload videos from the press conference here:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/press-conference

• Ok, great, thanks

Makes things easier to find.

• The footage looks better than about 90% of the GH2 footage I've ever scene, in the aspect that it is looking far more cinematic. Not sure what people are talking about here about the quality, I think it looks great. It might not be quite as sharp as the sharpest gh2 footage I've ever seen, but didn't I just download a hack that gives me a softer image so that it will have more cinematic color and light output?

I've seen footage of the voigtlander in low light when it is wide open, and it definitely doesn't look as good as this does. Unless I'm wrong, and then by all means go ahead and show me a video you think actually has more cinematic qualities at play in the same terrible light set ups.

I'm also fairly confident that the rumor about the sony sensor is correct. If you look at the fan shot with the guy in the bed, you can notice the noktor 12mm is a decent amount less wide than its perspective on the gh2. Same goes for the voigtlander, which looks far more like a 50mm now than it did before. Also noting on the particular image and all other wide shots in this short film, the noktor hyperprime is notoriously hazy and nearly impossible to get good focus with, especially wide open, which it looked to be in that bedroom. It also does have a strange color cast about it, though I think most of the murkiness in the short is from the color grade. In fact I'm certain of it. Now the Tokina 11-16 would have been more interesting to see on this camera, though I bet you the reason it wasn't used was because Philip didn't have an adapter with aperture blades that would work on the sensor.

As far as the script, I bet you anything marketing designed it, or it's mission was to explicitly be designed to reach the largest demographic possible. I think that's why I hate it, lol

• Not for nothing but a lot of these comments remind me of the early doubts about the BMC. It's really hard to make quantitative judgments off the video we've seen so far. We do know that it was a pre production model. We don't know the intent of the person who graded the video and what they were trying to achieve. I'd like to see a lot more from different people. Even the early videos from different people using the BMC have looked vastly different. Some great and some not so good. A lot of the early issues were often user error. With a new cam and not a lot of time to learn how to get the best out of it, it's hard for just about anyone to really get the highest quality. There will be more videos to come in the near future and i'm sure they'll present some different looks to evaluate.

• Always cool to see what professionals do with a new camera. Plus, it's fun as a denizen of L.A. to see references made to the recent mass-transit changes (no more paper tickets if you get on the red-line: all TAP cards, etc.)

I still think that the short film that best combines storytelling with technical demonstration is far and away "Man or Beast" for the C500, directed by Dante Ariola with Jeff Cronenweth as the DP.

Here are two links to that (differently compressed and I have not checked which is better).

Personally, I think "Man or Beast" does a very good job of differentiating the C500 from the GH2 (and likely the GH3, but much too early to tell) in terms of dynamic range and highlight roll-off and really justifies the price tag on the camera (which is many times that of the GH2 and price-ceiling for the GH3).

But Bruce Logan and Phillip Bloom do a good job of creating energy (which is a very different challenge) with the GH3. It just is not as close to the material that I would normally seek out.

Still, I hats off to them (especially the Travel Town shots, I enjoyed those a lot) and the child actress that played the little girl. I am looking forward to hearing more about the shoot.

• http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS/25488/panasonic/116314.html

GH3 body only to be roughly the same price as GH2 + 14-140mm

Worth it?

What happened to the Mic on the top? Really does look like a Canon Dslr (hope it takes stills just as well as a Canon lol)

The "Genesis" video in 1080p...So far the footage looks not much different as GH2..maybe a bit better DR but then again they have used lighting.

• Some expensive. :(

• As I said, all use topic below, as we have price, specs, photos, it is time to make official topic

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4592/official-panasonic-gh3-topic

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions