Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @izash i filmed with the lumix 14mm and canon 24-70 with kippon adapter. Smooth Profile all -2. Im thinking of putting sharpness up to 0 though. Then edited in CS5.5. Exported as prores 422. Recut in FCP, then graded with Color.

• @sohus Hey! You’re much more daring than I am with your shutters speeds. I suppose that explains shorter recording times you got the HBR mode.

@driftwood Nick, in case you overlooked my report, here’s the direct link so you don’t have to hunt for it: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/44878#Comment_44878

@everyone I believe shooting static stress charts for the 720p mode is not as useful, since it’s not an all-intra mode. I guess an animated sequence with two different charts would be better, unless you’re willing to babysit the camera and wiggle it around all the while.

• Nick. My quest has been to have a great HBR NTSC picture, today I chose x v5cVBR. Did a test, no crashes on my air conditioner fins of death. Since it is wrapped I ran it through 5dRGB and Cineform> Cineform rendered it better IMO especially the motion. Now another problem: banding please take a look at this clip

any suggestions? ISO 320 (yup I went to 400 first) NOS-2 everything. Sorry I imagine the Driftwood test kitchen is a little cluttered lately.

• @driftwood, I have been using Quantum X Orion CBR all week to do B roll on a doc and I love it, so does the editor I have to say. I have noticed some banding in the red channel but it's only visible on high iso or badly exposed shots. I have tried out Pictoris tonight cause I would love to shoot some interviews with it. I really like the new matrix over the Pictoris orion matrix. How much does it differ from the orion matrix, can you see problems intercutting the two?

• @driftwood Nick, I did some testing with Orion 4b and Sandisk & 64GB 95mb/s & voigt 25mm found the same results as @Mr_Moore

Profile: Nostalgic -2 0 -2 -2

24H 1/250 ISO 1600 — spanned
    24H Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — spanned
    Vari 80% 1/250 ISO 1600 — recording stopped after about 8 seconds. No lockup. Plays back in camera
    Vari 80% Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — recording stopped after 7 seconds. No lockup. Plays back in camera
    HBR (NTSC) 1/250 ISO 1600 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after approximately 40 seconds. Lockup. MTS file 0 bytes.
    HBR (NTSC) Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after approximately 40 seconds. Lockup. MTS file 0 bytes.

720p (NTSC) 1/250 ISO 1600 — spanned (video stream bit rate 53.3 mbps according to MediaInfo)
    720p (NTSC) Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after a few seconds. Lockup. MTS file of 0 bytes.

Not sure how these modes are supposed to work or if 24H was the main focus. Just giving you feedback.

• Waiting for the 720 Intra for super slow motions... ;-P I already have a headache to understand the best and/or the differences of settings for the HBR 25p mode.. Now the news with the matrixes... I´m very gratefoul for your work and effort, but for people that are not so long in this forum like me is very much stuff!!

• @feha I´d love to watch the original file... looks good on youtube.. did you have any issue with 25p?

• so far I'm having to pull the battery on 720 every time...

• Guys, not one of you have commented on the 720p settings and HBR modes. Spent an age on 720....!

• @driftwood How does the new Pictoris 75mbps compare to the Orion 4b 24L setting? Very curious to find out. Orion 4b lasts 40 - 50 seconds on my Transcend, forever on my Sandisk 64GB and the 24L setting is spanning. So what would be the reason for me to start using Pictoris? Might use the L setting for my 4 week India trip to save on cardspace. A vbr setting might be even better for that. Can you combine CBR and VBR in one setting :) I think I am asking too much now <:->

• @driftwood ,correct, no worries.

• I mean the full 154mbps version not the 50/75mbps.

• @Reckless I tested on my Transcend 32Gb and got spanning... strange world we live in...

• @Reckless apologies for this multi comment thing going on but p-v is taking an age to update over here... Ok I understand, you loaded it INTO Orion setting. Should be good to go.

• So I went ahead and loaded your new hybrid matrix straight into Orion and did a quick test. Unfortunately I am waiting my Sandisk card to be sent back from a producer out of state so I had to use my back up Transend card (I know I need to buy some more cards) so it only records for about 30 seconds before write error is displayed. From what it looks like the new matrix seems to be a in between, it is sharper than the Orion matrix and softer than the stock Panny matrix. I will hold my tongue till I do some real world testing but I like what I see so far.

• As in Q to AQ yep well spotted, Ill upload set-i again. Well done to @oleg2k excellent spotting. I guess youre the first guy to try set-i then! ;-)

Q-corrected for the VBR version - Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip
  • @driftwood i mean [Information] sections differs, but [Settings] sections are identical

• @feha Hey, nice demo, thanks mate.

• @driftwood

Thank you, this is fucking good, no words ...

• @oleg2k I'll take a look. UPDATE: No its right, v5b settings are set-D (CBR) & set-H (VBR) are with the hybrid Panasonic GH2 meets Orion matrix. The v5c settings which are set-E (CBR) and set-I (VBR) is the Orion only matrix. Just download both packs and u cant go wrong! ;-)

I've purposefully flattened (all 16s as in 0x1010s) the scaling Ps and scaling Bs as theyre not used by my settings in 24p (Intra i frame only), notice scaling Ps are on for 1080i/HBR and all three are on for 720p scaling tables. Don't worry - its all ok!

With the Hybrid Ive left all the correct scaled tables in place (even though Intra 24p won't use them, and 1080i will only use i-frames and P-frames, 720p all 3 get used) in case any of you want to borrow 'em!

Get your head around that lot and stay cool!!!! phew.

• @Driftwood pls compare sete.ini and seti.ini in "Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip", they are identical

• @Zaven13 You know, I really love the action of the Panny 45-175 X Lens Power Zoom - simple... smooth - brings you Camcorder style control - definitely the future for HDSLR video freaks. And its fucking Quiet. Just not so sure about the quality of the glass... I'm gonna give it a big test tomorrow and throw up some footage in the lens section.

For any Brighton based GH2/Gxx Lumix users, the Panasonic Brighton Store manager personally brought them over from Germany yesterday and he has a few of each left in stock... Hurry! ;-)

PS He brought me back a lovely lill' gift - a Lumix camera keyring! A MUST have ;-)

Oh go on then, here's a quick hand-held demo of the zoom out!!!!

45175.png
    768 x 576 - 652K
  • @Driftwood. Nick, I am interested to know about your impression of the new 45-175 power lens you just purchased after you have tested it. I am thinking about buying one but your evaluation of it will go a long way towards my decision to spend the money. Cheers.

• For those who want to see a totally flat matrix, you can enter in hex values for scaling tables i, P, B with every number at 16, as in;-

16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 etc... (enter 48 entries of 16 basically)

Remember to insert the HEX values of 16!!!!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions