Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood , great news, does now the Pictoris works with HBR 25p mode ? Stable ?

• Hi Driftwood Thanks so much for your work. I´ve been away for sometime, and now it is hard to be updated. I Shoot 25p (Pal land) As i think Pictoris is the best option for me... but i feel lost about having so many options.. Wich is the best matrix i should have? orion...hybrid..? what are the diferences?.. i´m interested about latitude (like everyone i guess) and reliability Thanks! f.

• Just bought a Panny 45-175 X Lens looks cheap as chips (which it was) but I love the power Zoom... initial impressions - it goes hunting a lot! Trying it out on v5 β Pictoris now :-)

@Fulgencio Try them both - it won't take you long. You may want to opt for constant bitrate (CBR versions) of said settings (we don't call them patches anymore)

• @driftwood Thanks for the insight driftwood. I will keep watching this space until I go filming. Thanks again for your great work. My macbook is struggling at the mo with all the footage I took on holiday using Quantum v7 and 9vb but I think I just need to clear my harddrive as its not very organised and is nearly full or just stick in a new 750gb 7200rpm. Should do the trick.

• @Joshua_Cadmium

Hmmm. No actually I wouldn't. I like using the black diff 3 a lot now. The only thing I really want to do is get my hands on a 2 but that's about it.

Driftwood is right, picture profiles/film modes is like the last hurdle. Once that or IF that opens up things will probably change again. I know I want a profile that's specifically for daylight shooting and one for night.

RIght now, that means Cinema for well exposed setups, and then standard for everything else.

• @driftwood Thanks for all the work! I've shot some tests with Pictoris, trying to see the difference between the Orion matrix and the hybrid matrix, but I can see very little variance. Are there certain conditions or subject matter that would make the differences more obvious?

• @royadkins Hybrid should be a little more leaning towards the higher luminance side of the Panasonic GH2 matrix, very subtle but its an attempt to bring Sharpeness back to 0 as the starting point! I didn't want to bring back degradated sky issue... so its slight. I'll keep pushing things dont worry.

• For those who want to see a totally flat matrix, you can enter in hex values for scaling tables i, P, B with every number at 16, as in;-

16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 etc... (enter 48 entries of 16 basically)

Remember to insert the HEX values of 16!!!!

• @Driftwood. Nick, I am interested to know about your impression of the new 45-175 power lens you just purchased after you have tested it. I am thinking about buying one but your evaluation of it will go a long way towards my decision to spend the money. Cheers.

• @Zaven13 You know, I really love the action of the Panny 45-175 X Lens Power Zoom - simple... smooth - brings you Camcorder style control - definitely the future for HDSLR video freaks. And its fucking Quiet. Just not so sure about the quality of the glass... I'm gonna give it a big test tomorrow and throw up some footage in the lens section.

For any Brighton based GH2/Gxx Lumix users, the Panasonic Brighton Store manager personally brought them over from Germany yesterday and he has a few of each left in stock... Hurry! ;-)

PS He brought me back a lovely lill' gift - a Lumix camera keyring! A MUST have ;-)

Oh go on then, here's a quick hand-held demo of the zoom out!!!!

45175.png
    768 x 576 - 652K
  • @Driftwood pls compare sete.ini and seti.ini in "Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip", they are identical

• @oleg2k I'll take a look. UPDATE: No its right, v5b settings are set-D (CBR) & set-H (VBR) are with the hybrid Panasonic GH2 meets Orion matrix. The v5c settings which are set-E (CBR) and set-I (VBR) is the Orion only matrix. Just download both packs and u cant go wrong! ;-)

I've purposefully flattened (all 16s as in 0x1010s) the scaling Ps and scaling Bs as theyre not used by my settings in 24p (Intra i frame only), notice scaling Ps are on for 1080i/HBR and all three are on for 720p scaling tables. Don't worry - its all ok!

With the Hybrid Ive left all the correct scaled tables in place (even though Intra 24p won't use them, and 1080i will only use i-frames and P-frames, 720p all 3 get used) in case any of you want to borrow 'em!

Get your head around that lot and stay cool!!!! phew.

• @driftwood

Thank you, this is fucking good, no words ...

• @feha Hey, nice demo, thanks mate.

• @driftwood i mean [Information] sections differs, but [Settings] sections are identical

• As in Q to AQ yep well spotted, Ill upload set-i again. Well done to @oleg2k excellent spotting. I guess youre the first guy to try set-i then! ;-)

Q-corrected for the VBR version - Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip
  • So I went ahead and loaded your new hybrid matrix straight into Orion and did a quick test. Unfortunately I am waiting my Sandisk card to be sent back from a producer out of state so I had to use my back up Transend card (I know I need to buy some more cards) so it only records for about 30 seconds before write error is displayed. From what it looks like the new matrix seems to be a in between, it is sharper than the Orion matrix and softer than the stock Panny matrix. I will hold my tongue till I do some real world testing but I like what I see so far.

• @Reckless apologies for this multi comment thing going on but p-v is taking an age to update over here... Ok I understand, you loaded it INTO Orion setting. Should be good to go.

• @Reckless I tested on my Transcend 32Gb and got spanning... strange world we live in...

• I mean the full 154mbps version not the 50/75mbps.

• @driftwood ,correct, no worries.

• @driftwood How does the new Pictoris 75mbps compare to the Orion 4b 24L setting? Very curious to find out. Orion 4b lasts 40 - 50 seconds on my Transcend, forever on my Sandisk 64GB and the 24L setting is spanning. So what would be the reason for me to start using Pictoris? Might use the L setting for my 4 week India trip to save on cardspace. A vbr setting might be even better for that. Can you combine CBR and VBR in one setting :) I think I am asking too much now <:->

• Guys, not one of you have commented on the 720p settings and HBR modes. Spent an age on 720....!

• so far I'm having to pull the battery on 720 every time...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions