Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @izash i filmed with the lumix 14mm and canon 24-70 with kippon adapter. Smooth Profile all -2. Im thinking of putting sharpness up to 0 though. Then edited in CS5.5. Exported as prores 422. Recut in FCP, then graded with Color.

• @sohus Hey! You’re much more daring than I am with your shutters speeds. I suppose that explains shorter recording times you got the HBR mode.

@driftwood Nick, in case you overlooked my report, here’s the direct link so you don’t have to hunt for it: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/44878#Comment_44878

@everyone I believe shooting static stress charts for the 720p mode is not as useful, since it’s not an all-intra mode. I guess an animated sequence with two different charts would be better, unless you’re willing to babysit the camera and wiggle it around all the while.

• Nick. My quest has been to have a great HBR NTSC picture, today I chose x v5cVBR. Did a test, no crashes on my air conditioner fins of death. Since it is wrapped I ran it through 5dRGB and Cineform> Cineform rendered it better IMO especially the motion. Now another problem: banding please take a look at this clip

any suggestions? ISO 320 (yup I went to 400 first) NOS-2 everything. Sorry I imagine the Driftwood test kitchen is a little cluttered lately.

• @driftwood, I have been using Quantum X Orion CBR all week to do B roll on a doc and I love it, so does the editor I have to say. I have noticed some banding in the red channel but it's only visible on high iso or badly exposed shots. I have tried out Pictoris tonight cause I would love to shoot some interviews with it. I really like the new matrix over the Pictoris orion matrix. How much does it differ from the orion matrix, can you see problems intercutting the two?

• @driftwood Nick, I did some testing with Orion 4b and Sandisk & 64GB 95mb/s & voigt 25mm found the same results as @Mr_Moore

Profile: Nostalgic -2 0 -2 -2

24H 1/250 ISO 1600 — spanned
    24H Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — spanned
    Vari 80% 1/250 ISO 1600 — recording stopped after about 8 seconds. No lockup. Plays back in camera
    Vari 80% Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — recording stopped after 7 seconds. No lockup. Plays back in camera
    HBR (NTSC) 1/250 ISO 1600 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after approximately 40 seconds. Lockup. MTS file 0 bytes.
    HBR (NTSC) Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after approximately 40 seconds. Lockup. MTS file 0 bytes.

720p (NTSC) 1/250 ISO 1600 — spanned (video stream bit rate 53.3 mbps according to MediaInfo)
    720p (NTSC) Ext Tele 1/250 ISO 1600 — “Motion recording was canceled . . .” after a few seconds. Lockup. MTS file of 0 bytes.

Not sure how these modes are supposed to work or if 24H was the main focus. Just giving you feedback.

• Waiting for the 720 Intra for super slow motions... ;-P I already have a headache to understand the best and/or the differences of settings for the HBR 25p mode.. Now the news with the matrixes... I´m very gratefoul for your work and effort, but for people that are not so long in this forum like me is very much stuff!!

• @feha I´d love to watch the original file... looks good on youtube.. did you have any issue with 25p?

• so far I'm having to pull the battery on 720 every time...

• Guys, not one of you have commented on the 720p settings and HBR modes. Spent an age on 720....!

• @driftwood How does the new Pictoris 75mbps compare to the Orion 4b 24L setting? Very curious to find out. Orion 4b lasts 40 - 50 seconds on my Transcend, forever on my Sandisk 64GB and the 24L setting is spanning. So what would be the reason for me to start using Pictoris? Might use the L setting for my 4 week India trip to save on cardspace. A vbr setting might be even better for that. Can you combine CBR and VBR in one setting :) I think I am asking too much now <:->

• @driftwood ,correct, no worries.

• I mean the full 154mbps version not the 50/75mbps.

• @Reckless I tested on my Transcend 32Gb and got spanning... strange world we live in...

• @Reckless apologies for this multi comment thing going on but p-v is taking an age to update over here... Ok I understand, you loaded it INTO Orion setting. Should be good to go.

• So I went ahead and loaded your new hybrid matrix straight into Orion and did a quick test. Unfortunately I am waiting my Sandisk card to be sent back from a producer out of state so I had to use my back up Transend card (I know I need to buy some more cards) so it only records for about 30 seconds before write error is displayed. From what it looks like the new matrix seems to be a in between, it is sharper than the Orion matrix and softer than the stock Panny matrix. I will hold my tongue till I do some real world testing but I like what I see so far.

• As in Q to AQ yep well spotted, Ill upload set-i again. Well done to @oleg2k excellent spotting. I guess youre the first guy to try set-i then! ;-)

Q-corrected for the VBR version - Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip
  • @driftwood i mean [Information] sections differs, but [Settings] sections are identical

• @feha Hey, nice demo, thanks mate.

• @driftwood

Thank you, this is fucking good, no words ...

• @oleg2k I'll take a look. UPDATE: No its right, v5b settings are set-D (CBR) & set-H (VBR) are with the hybrid Panasonic GH2 meets Orion matrix. The v5c settings which are set-E (CBR) and set-I (VBR) is the Orion only matrix. Just download both packs and u cant go wrong! ;-)

I've purposefully flattened (all 16s as in 0x1010s) the scaling Ps and scaling Bs as theyre not used by my settings in 24p (Intra i frame only), notice scaling Ps are on for 1080i/HBR and all three are on for 720p scaling tables. Don't worry - its all ok!

With the Hybrid Ive left all the correct scaled tables in place (even though Intra 24p won't use them, and 1080i will only use i-frames and P-frames, 720p all 3 get used) in case any of you want to borrow 'em!

Get your head around that lot and stay cool!!!! phew.

• @Driftwood pls compare sete.ini and seti.ini in "Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip", they are identical

• @Zaven13 You know, I really love the action of the Panny 45-175 X Lens Power Zoom - simple... smooth - brings you Camcorder style control - definitely the future for HDSLR video freaks. And its fucking Quiet. Just not so sure about the quality of the glass... I'm gonna give it a big test tomorrow and throw up some footage in the lens section.

For any Brighton based GH2/Gxx Lumix users, the Panasonic Brighton Store manager personally brought them over from Germany yesterday and he has a few of each left in stock... Hurry! ;-)

PS He brought me back a lovely lill' gift - a Lumix camera keyring! A MUST have ;-)

Oh go on then, here's a quick hand-held demo of the zoom out!!!!

45175.png
    768 x 576 - 652K
  • @Driftwood. Nick, I am interested to know about your impression of the new 45-175 power lens you just purchased after you have tested it. I am thinking about buying one but your evaluation of it will go a long way towards my decision to spend the money. Cheers.

• For those who want to see a totally flat matrix, you can enter in hex values for scaling tables i, P, B with every number at 16, as in;-

16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 etc... (enter 48 entries of 16 basically)

Remember to insert the HEX values of 16!!!!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions