Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @sebben, In VLC it interprets footage correctly (as in the images above), and in premiere5.5 it shows as progressive. I guess both 5dtorgb or clipwrap exports to prores need to be placed in a progressive timeline in final cut. And because they can't play in VLC (prores) in quicktime it will always be interpreted as interlaced. Hence why it shows as it does. I'm nor sure about this. specially if they would be flagged correctly when placed in final cut.

Dropframes is another issue. it shows in all this modes, VLC, prores in quicktime, and the original mts in premiere, going frame by frame, it suddenly repeats twice a frame from 10 previous frames, it goes like 1...10, 1, 12, 1, 14, 15.... I can't use streamparser, but i could upload an mts if someone would run it.

• Holy crap, look at those skies! Clean stuff, eyefi and Nick.

• That's the first thing that I thought of cosimo!

• some great looking footage, is it just me or does these last clips posted seem to have more film like motion,that I have not seen before ,great work VK and Driftwood

• does anyone know if quantum 100v4 is out yet? it is supposed to be optimized for etc 24h and etc 80%? Or is that patch the quantum v4 orion?

• Alright, I tried out the v.2 on some crappy dead trees/leaves footage and all I could say was "Wow!". Nicely done, Nick!

Very filmic now!

• What bit rates are you guys/gals seeing in your videos?

• Mostly around 110 mb/s for my stuff, but I'm not using stream parser. I'm using media info, so I'm not sure if it's as precise as SP.

• @videohq Thats because v2 Rocket is ADAPTIVE bitrate! Read the top page. In simple terms it assigns bits to the quality of the image.

• @rockroadpix

That video looks freaking good!

As you can tell, I'm trying to clean it up a bit..... ah fuck it, great job Nick!

• Did some quick testing of v2 Rocket yesterday. I am looking for high quality 30p so only tested a few settings. Used a Sandisk 16GB 30MB/S card. Lens used was a 14-140mm with IS on and auto focus on. Shutter was 60 and iso 160. The shots were close up of some sunlit palm trees on a windy day. Streamparser was used to check bitrates.

HBR recorded fine with an average bitrate of 93mbps. HBR with ETC on twice caused a hard lockup and battery had to be removed. 24H recorded ok with no problems at an average 143mbps. 24H 80% stopped after about 4-5 sec with a card write speed error. The file that was recorded had a bitrate of 144mbps. 24H 80% ETC stopped after about 3-4seconds with a card write speed error. The file had an average bitrate of 121mbps.

24L 80% recorded fine with an average of 46mbps and 24L 80% ETC recorded fine at 48mbps.

Thanks Nick and Vitaly for all the hard work.

• Did some spanning tests with a Lumix 14-42mm lens and the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB / 95 MB card. 24pH spanned with no problems and full in-camera playback. Tests were 8 minutes, 12 minutes and a full 21 minutes. Images weren't very complex (TV images, interiors, pans, etc.) and I'm looking to test a fully lit setup of some sort with my Lumix 25mm 1.4 over the next several days. But so far I'm pretty psyched.

• I did some Quantum X v2 tests with my GH2, my 14-140mm kit lens, 24H, 1/50, 1600 ISO and ISO 400 on a Sandisk Extreme 32GB HD 30mb/s.

It looks and records great as long as the camera doesn't move a lot. However, the moment I try to do a fast, short pan left or right, the video gets choppy - as if there were hiccups when writing to the card. In most tests I see here on this site, the camera rarely moves much.

Quantum 100 v3 does not have this fast pan hiccup problem with my setup, which of course could be due to the less demanding bitrate.

But since a lot of other people were using the 30mb/s Sandisk Extreme with Quantum X v2, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this behavior with fast pans?

• @THX1965 I have the same problem too. I tried to test quick moves using Nokton on my GH2 with 16Gb and 32Gb 30Mbps cards and in HBR mode the video is like "dropping frames" (not using 720 mode) movement is not as fluid as 720. It seems my cards cannot follow. I tried in low light, less noticable (35-40Mbps) but in sun light with lot of move (central train station @ 95Mbps)) the film is lagging (both on camera playback and on computer) and cannot be used. I've ordered a 32Gb @ 95Mbps to see if there is any difference. * edit: It's not when I move the camera but rather when I shoot quick moving subjects.

• My camera crashes (so I have to remove the battery) using this patch in 720p 25FPS on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95 MB/S

Did a test in dark conditions with a Nokton in full manual, bombed out almost immediately.

• @cycla I have the same problem, but with cinema 24I/S mode, using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 45 MB/S Sequence with Big Drop Frame when Quick Move…

• @badie the visual result is even worse for me on 24I/S and noticed I have same results as you @THX1965 when doing fast pans using Sandisk Extreme HD 32gb/30Mbs and 16gb/30Mbs. The results for 720 are opposite and look so smooth and great for same fast move tests

• Seem like driftwood slip into a Quantum Deep Sleep

• @Tifose I think if anyone deserves that, it's him

• Thanks @cyckia, @badie for your feedback. So it's either a problem with 30mb/s, 45mb/s Sandisk cards, or maybe it's a problem the patch has regardless of the card that's being used.

It would be great to hear from 95mb/s Sandsik users. Can you do fast pans without dropping frames?

• Not all cards, even from the same family/model are the same. The memory is "binned" according to testing at the factory and the lowest sustainable data rate is what the manufacturer stamps on the chips. The SD card manufacturer buys these ICs based on availability, price and performance. So they might buy a ton of a certain date-code due to availability, price and performance. The IC manufacturer during that week might have had a real good yield of fast parts, so many that they even branded them as slower parts to meet production numbers. When the SD card manufacturer buys these, they will perform better than their labels might say. On the other hand, if the IC manufacturer has a poor yield and the ICs barely meet the speed rating, they will still brand them as the same speed as the faster batch. When the SD card manufacturer makes their cards with these ICs, they will still meed the minimum speed but not be equal to the "faster" cards with the same speed rating.

For instance, I have a Patriot LX card that never fails in any condition, up to 175mbps. The other 3 I have barely do 80mb without crashing. They both meet the Class 10 speed rating and they are both the same model of card.

• @badie @THX1965 bitrate will drop on fast movement - thats the way a vbr will work. You would need 60 frames per sec at HD level minimum to capture decently all those inbetween frames. However Orion will perform consistently and should in theory provide a better job.

• Got the frame drop/freeze last night shooting with 16gb 30mb/s cards, didn't notice until I looked at the footage. Happened on a fast camera shift from bright to dark.

Non Panasonic glass.

• Always check suspect files in streamparser first, if there is a frame drop you'll see it visually. If there's no sign of it on Streamparser, then import into NLE and check the neccessary area on edit view/timeline. Sometimes playback incamera and playback on poor codec in Windows Media player/Mac player (or too slow computer) will not be able to deal with it. If its still there, then we need to sort it. Remember: Check check check, a h264 player might not be good enough to stay up to speed.

• @THX1965 @badie it seems I solved my problem by putting the I.dynamic to 'none'. it's getting smoother then. Let me know if this works for you too.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions