Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • Here is a great example using the quantum X Ver2. Thanks Driftwood

• FAST MOVE TEST 1080P VS 720P GH2 DRIFTWOOD QUANTUM X from Lionel Bah on Vimeo.

This is what I got before I change I.Dy to 'none'... now it going smoother.

• Just curious what size I-frames everyone is getting according to StreamParser. I know that this patch is variable bit-rate so depending on the scene you will get smaller/bigger I-frame, but just curious because I noticed I am getting rather low frame sizes. Well compared to what I remembered getting with previous hacks I've used. My shots weren't anything scientific, just shooting around my friends house, tried to get the most detailed scenes I could. According to streamparser, I am getting I-frame sizes between 350,000 bytes and 400,000 on average, with sometimes going as high as 500,000. Are people getting high rates than that? FYI, I was using a Transcend class 10 at the time. Didn't have my equipment with me to use my 30mb/s card, just what was left in the camera when I left the house. Also, haven't had time to watch the footage, just ran it through streamparser on some downtime at work, my computer here can't run the files smoothly.

• i dynamic is unpredictable, with movement, its going to be all over the place. Personally I never use it. I can't trust it. However, if its mounted on tripod in sustained lit location, you can get the best out of it.

• @driftwood, @cykla - I understand that bitrate drops with VBR and it's not a loss of picture quality I am observing here. And it's also not the effect of 24 fps vs 60 fps with smooth motion of fast moving subjects in front of the camera.

It looks like an actual recording hiccup (the drop/freeze effect that @kholi was also noticing) when the camera pans fast. It's not doing it with Quantum 100 v3, it's not doing it with FlowMotion 1.1, only with Quantum X. And that hiccup is also present when the footage is transcoded to ProRes 422. I do have a very fast and current Mac (with maxed out RAM) that doesn't choke on anything.

I'll see if I can put together a sample a little later, so that we're all on the same page.

Thanks for everything so far.

• @driftwood thanks for those wonderful settings, looking forward to do some more tests!

• @driftwood, I've also noticed this dropframes or hickups, after conversion also, both in clipwrap and 5dtorgb, and directly in the NLE, one of the files, from QuantumXv1, doesn't finish conversion in 5dtorgb, and with clipwrap, after conversion, it repeats the first bugged frame whenever it happened till the end of the clip. In the NLE I can see it going frame by frame in the viewer. I was using a Sandisk Extreme 32Gb 30Mbs, and the shots where static as per the frames on the previous page. Thanks in advance Nick.

• @eyefi, I am experiencing exactly the same. I am using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC Card.

• @eyefi and on Quantum X v2?

• @driftwood, Sorry I make a really bad beta tester!! I am using Quantum X Version 2

• QuantumX v2, happened exactly the same the only difference was that 5dtorgb was able to get to the end of the process, but results were the same, various frames or dropped or out of order. I can upload the mts if you want.

• @driftwood I sent you a dropbox link in a PM. It's for the QuantumX v2 25pHBR, as posted on the previous page.

• Span my up: Instant fail with 95MB/S card, Pana Lens in HBR mode(NTSC) Battery pull. Very little detail in subject

• Had quick play with SpanmybitchupV2 in HBR, instant card lock up at 12,800 (Sandisk 30mb/s) if that is of any use, thanks.

• In my opinion, the images produced with the Quantum X v.2 setting at 24H are some of the most "filmic" yet in terms of noise and motion. When examining images at 200-400% scale I can see plenty of noise texture which seems to mask some of the edge sharpening found on Panasonic and Olympus lenses. I can still see the edge sharpening, but it is muted. This seems to help reduce edge shimmer often seen in camera movement with these lenses.

snowdrift01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • I had to batt drop in HBR, as well.

@proaudio4 - Thanks, dude. I shot what I could with the 15 minutes that I had!

• Just loaded up SpanmybitchupV2 in HBR (25p), using SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC Card. Works fine. Looks good, especially on motion. The cadence looks much better than Quantum X. Nice smooth pans.

Update: When I play the MTS file direct in quicktime (using panasonic QT plugin) QT reports frame rates from 24.21 up to 25.57 but the playback is very smooth. After conversion to prores 422 it reports a constant frame rate of 25 but there is some stutter (I think this is called cadence) in the scene. Not sure if this helps.

Also camera is locking up after about 4mins of recording.

• My good experience. Using Rocket V2 I changed 24L setting to higher bitrate 66M. After some tests I filmed at very nice quality 5 memory cards Sandisk 32GB 30M yesterday. No crashes, spanning, extele and camera playback works fine. It takes about 1 hour on 32GB card. Thank you all!

• @act - did you do any short, fast pans with your camera? If yes, did you get any dropped frames?

I really like Quantum X v2 - the look is absolutely great. Very filmic as @Kount_Michula pointed out.

• @THX1965 , Completely agree about the look. It's amazing. The GH2 is changing the way I film docs and finding a stable 25p offering with spanning is almost a dream come true. Actually I can live without spanning :) but it would be nice.

• @THX1965 I filmed very long wedding day from 12pm to 3am. I done all kind of shots, usually 24p like 25p not recommended for fast pans, but it was very crazy wedding party with very difficult party lights - I very satisfied! Just donated 50$ for Top Man!

• @act - thanks for your feedback. When I say "fast pans", I don't mean panning across a landscape in a fast way. I mean a quick pan left or right - as a narrative tool. You start with a static shot and quickly pan (10-20 frames) to your next static shot - let's call it "adjustment of perspective". That's when Quantum X v2 chokes in my case - producing hiccups, freezframes as the camera seems to try to catch up while writing to the 30mb/s Sandisk card.

• A panning test of Quantum X v.2 in a snowstorm. The original is really impressive with loads of motion and detail thrown at it. The Vimeo playback version above is full of encoded mush so download the original video file for proper viewing.

snowdrift01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @Kount_Michula nice

Here is my first crack at Quantum v2 Rocket:

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions