Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless
  • 162 Replies sorted by
  • @tetakpatak

K-01 is example of beautiful camera :-)

Beautiful yellow brick with good features and construction.

• This design in combination with yellow is sensational. I wonder how many people complain about it. It is matter of taste and I find Pentax K-01 just cool.

Anyway: can anyone explain what the term "beautiful camera" means?

• My K-01 will arrive tomorrow, and I will test it in a fun photoshoot, also for video. Here's an in-depth review I found of the K-01's video capabilities.

Main disappointments:

1) HDMI can't be used for monitoring

2) Focus peaking is disabled when video recording starts

3) No audio monitoring

I'll see how the IQ looks. Hopefully VK might be tempted to hack his K-01... :-)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k01/pentax-k01VIDEO.HTM

• Faster focus here means stills mode or prefocus before recording starts. But it is still much slower than any m43.

Exactly

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Re pancake -- sadly, I wanted the pancake but the yellow version with pancake is no longer in stock at B&H. :-(

• I have a question about "catch-focus"... can you hold shutter down with manual lens settings, and when camera detects focus it will actuate? I heard this is possible with K-30, but wonder if K-01 can do this also?

Such things are only possible with phase AF :-) Here just turn on focus peaking, it has very good realisation of this feature.

• @ahbleza

Btw. Bad idea to order without pancake :-) It is fun, light lens.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I have a question about "catch-focus"... can you hold shutter down with manual lens settings, and when camera detects focus it will actuate? I heard this is possible with K-30, but wonder if K-01 can do this also?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Haha I have Pentax K-mount lenses since 1980s.... :-) That's why I ordered without the pancake. I want to see how my thirty year old f2.0 50mm prime will work with this sensor.

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/normal/M50f2.html

• I just ordered a K-01 with a lens baby for some fun. Yellow, of course. It's a great price now at B&H.

And remember to get few Pentax manual lenses. :-)

• I just ordered a K-01 with a lens baby for some fun. Yellow, of course. It's a great price now at B&H.

• @K01

Faster focus here means stills mode or prefocus before recording starts. But it is still much slower than any m43.

• I know, but from what I saw on youtube, with the firmware update 1.01 the focus got much faster than what it was with version 1.0 - so in case you haven't updated it already, you should do it. The latest version by now is 1.03 (Information and Download here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-01_s.html) Well, peaking not being available in movie mode is a bummer, but hey, it's there in the first place which is great. Maybe a custom firmware could fix that ;-)

• So it's like I said, you have to manually re-focus by pressing a button whenever the subject gets out of focus while filming - and not as that excerpt said it was auto focussing, right? I wonder what they were doing that made them write that...

Yes, and focus will be slow :-) Do not expect m43 performance here. Sensor, lenses and processor are not designed for this.

Bad thing is also that focus peaking stop functioning as soon as you hit record.

• @VK Thanks. So it's like I said, you have to manually re-focus by pressing a button whenever the subject gets out of focus while filming - and not as that excerpt said it was auto focussing, right? I wonder what they were doing that made them write that...

• @K01

I did not get too common with this camera, for me it works only pressing AF/EU-L button on back.

• but the continuous auto focus function and video does a pretty good job

I thought the K-01 wasn't able to shoot video whith continuous autofocus and you had to re-focus by half-pressing the shutter-button? At least that was what I was reading up to now... could someone who has the cam at hand check and confirm what's right?

• Anyways, how do you like the video mode so far? Is it okayish oder rather not so good?

Did not checked it yet :-) here is except from review

Video quality in the K-01 is quite good and may be initiated with the mode dial in any setting with a single push of the red button. The camera does a little better if you're able to establish focus initially with a half push of the shutter button before initiating video capture, but the continuous auto focus function and video does a pretty good job of catching up fairly quickly as subject distances change during the course of a video capture. Users have the choice of program auto, aperture priority or manual control for video exposure calculation. The stereo microphones proved susceptible to wind noise however the camera is not equipped with a wind cut feature.

Because it utilizes a CMOS sensor, rolling shutter effect is a consideration for the K-01, but the camera does a pretty good job of dealing with this effect. Rolling shutter is only apparent under extremely rapid pans ? pan speeds well beyond what would ordinarily be encountered or employed by the typical user.

• I see... same problem here. Although from what is written here (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3298/pentax-hack-status/p1) doing something with this little cam may not be as time consuming as it was with the Panasonic cams... Anyways, how do you like the video mode so far? Is it okayish oder rather not so good?

• So @Vitaliy_Kiselev , are you planning on taking a look into the Firmware? E.g. increasing video bitrate?

I do not know for now. Main issue here is free time.

• Nice you eventually got it delivered. And also Yellow - my favourite version too! So @Vitaliy_Kiselev , are you planning on taking a look into the Firmware? E.g. increasing video bitrate?

• Got K-01. Proper one, I mean yellow one :-)

Amazing not so little camera. If you are not living your life in constant search for even remote reminders of toilet seats, it'll be good camera for you.

• There's an unspoken rule in design that nothing should have the potential to look like a toilet seat. And for good reason. And yet, the armature surrounding the lens is just that.

LOL. Your fantasies are so wild :-)

• There's an unspoken rule in design that nothing should have the potential to look like a toilet seat. And for good reason. And yet, the armature surrounding the lens is just that.

• @ahbleza

I talked with few owners, did not get any negative comments.

As people like to express - Pentax made camera that only true Pentaxian could love :-) Sadly, not many left in this world :-)