Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless
  • 162 Replies sorted by
  • @K01

Faster focus here means stills mode or prefocus before recording starts. But it is still much slower than any m43.

• I just ordered a K-01 with a lens baby for some fun. Yellow, of course. It's a great price now at B&H.

• I just ordered a K-01 with a lens baby for some fun. Yellow, of course. It's a great price now at B&H.

And remember to get few Pentax manual lenses. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Haha I have Pentax K-mount lenses since 1980s.... :-) That's why I ordered without the pancake. I want to see how my thirty year old f2.0 50mm prime will work with this sensor.

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/normal/M50f2.html

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I have a question about "catch-focus"... can you hold shutter down with manual lens settings, and when camera detects focus it will actuate? I heard this is possible with K-30, but wonder if K-01 can do this also?

• @ahbleza

Btw. Bad idea to order without pancake :-) It is fun, light lens.

• I have a question about "catch-focus"... can you hold shutter down with manual lens settings, and when camera detects focus it will actuate? I heard this is possible with K-30, but wonder if K-01 can do this also?

Such things are only possible with phase AF :-) Here just turn on focus peaking, it has very good realisation of this feature.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Re pancake -- sadly, I wanted the pancake but the yellow version with pancake is no longer in stock at B&H. :-(

• Faster focus here means stills mode or prefocus before recording starts. But it is still much slower than any m43.

Exactly

• My K-01 will arrive tomorrow, and I will test it in a fun photoshoot, also for video. Here's an in-depth review I found of the K-01's video capabilities.

Main disappointments:

1) HDMI can't be used for monitoring

2) Focus peaking is disabled when video recording starts

3) No audio monitoring

I'll see how the IQ looks. Hopefully VK might be tempted to hack his K-01... :-)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k01/pentax-k01VIDEO.HTM

• This design in combination with yellow is sensational. I wonder how many people complain about it. It is matter of taste and I find Pentax K-01 just cool.

Anyway: can anyone explain what the term "beautiful camera" means?

• @tetakpatak

K-01 is example of beautiful camera :-)

Beautiful yellow brick with good features and construction.

• Last remains of proper color K-01 for $249

http://www.adorama.com/IPXK01Y.html

• And a nice review for anyone still on the fence. This is such a steal.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013711/article/Pentax-K-01-Product-Review

• Just got the yellow brick :) wanted to know what color profiles people are using and the adjustments to them? Do I need to go negative on saturation, hue, high/low key adj, contrast, sharpness? If so what have you guys have success with. Also do I leave off the shadow and highlight corrections Thanks seth

• New here, just bumping this thread along. Would love to see K-01 firmware opened up... EDIT: since we saved so much money on our discounted discontinued k-01s, maybe we could start a fund to...encourage...the r33t hax0rs to crack this nut

• I added encryption/decryption of K-01 (as well as K5-II, and K-30) to my tool

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/pentax-tool

• Can the P K-01 use lenses such as the Helios M42? I take it that it won't deal with Canon EF lenses even with an adapter. Again, just asking.

• @JayB38

Yes, any m42 lens.

• Just wanted to say that I've been shooting stills with a Pentax K-100D Super since 2007, and I adore Pentax glass. I have a great collection of manual glass that is such a bargain that I've been gathering since 2007, and the results are just stunning- as well as some Tamron adaptall-2 glass that I love as well.

Opening up the Pentax firmware to video improvements would be so interesting- from what I can tell even Ricoh isn't all that concerned with the video side of Pentax products. I know it wouldn't make anywhere near the splash that the GH2 hacks did, but man, Pentax glass on APS-C (in terms of focal length) would rock! I know Canon cameras can work with an adapter and m42- what about K-mount? I think so. I would just love to stick with the Pentax badge on the camera.

I've used some of my lenses on a GH2- a K series 30mm, M series 35mm and M series 50mm and love the results- just be nice to shoot with the 1.5x crop factor (not 2.0) on an APS-C sensor.

• Hi,

I have a k-01, too... in yellow. ;) My problems are...

1. in 720/50fps the picture is really bad, so bad I could not use it... in 720/25 and 1080 everything is fine.
    2. with old pentax lenses the is no manual way of controlling shutterspeed

Do you think this problems could be fixed? Perhaps do you plan to hack that nice little brick? :)

Another thing, perhaps you (or someone else) have an idea... with my Porst 55mm f1,2 my k-01 stops recording video randomly and I don't know why... how can that be only with that lens?

Thanks a lot for your hard work for the wordwide video community!!!

• Is there any way to attach a monitor to the K-01 so I can have a bigger screen for framing when shooting video? I heard HDMI out doesn't work when recording video, but was hoping the A/V ports would work with a monitor when recording video.

Also, does the LCD screen flip out and rotate or is it stuck flat onto the back of the camera?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev I saw you mention you had something with encrypt/decrypt in PTools for K-01. Is that something that would let us use it with increased bitrate or with special settings similar to the ones @Driftwood makes?

Thanks

• Is there any way to attach a monitor to the K-01 so I can have a bigger screen for framing when shooting video? I heard HDMI out doesn't work when recording video, but was hoping the A/V ports would work with a monitor when recording video. Also, does the LCD screen flip out and rotate or is it stuck flat onto the back of the camera?

Just check first page. HDMi does not work, and screen is fixed.

I saw you mention you had something with encrypt/decrypt in PTools for K-01. Is that something that would let us use it with increased bitrate or with special settings similar to the ones @Driftwood makes?

It does not decrypt small first part (as it is too small, so my encryption key findind do not work). Plus it does not recalc any checksums.
    And requires someone to spend big amount of time on reversing and such.

Pentax released new version in new color :-) Good companion to yellow one.

http://www.pentax.jp/japan/products/k-01_white-blue/

pentax.jpg
    493 x 413 - 31K