Personal View site logo
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless
  • 162 Replies sorted by
  • The 40mm pancake can be used on GH2, right? :)

• @ahbleza

Thanks, Pentax managment are idiots and motherfuckers. It was widely known for long.

Btw it is $299 still http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842488-REG/Pentax_15322_K_01_Digital_Camera_Yellow_.html

Original pricing was 749.95 (body) and $899.95 for 40mm kit :-) As it has alu frame and sensor based stab, mic input, 1080p30 recording, for me it is enough.

• @stonebat

In fact, most of my lenses are for Pentax mount, hence I intent to use all them on K-01 instead :-)

• It was one of those crazy deals.

K01 40mm $299

Gf3 PZ X 14-42mm $279

DP1x $250

EPM2 14-42 40-150 $499

I have no idea how camera makers other than Fuji are making money nowadays.

• K01 40mm $299

If it existed, only briefly, I got mine for $314 :-)

I have no idea how camera makers other than Fuji are making money nowadays.

Most people do not buy things on deals prices :-)

• Btw, you can also do this cool thing with K-01

• It sounds cool, but not cheap.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-plus-multi-mount.html

Anything custom made in small scale is $$$.

• It sounds cool, but not cheap.

What is not cheap?

• Wait a sec. Is it just one custom mount replacement on a Pentax body?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/51826-gnarelsek/albums/5948-2million/picture51783.jpg

Plus a red plastic sticker on each lens?

• Is it just one custom mount replacement on a Pentax body?

It is small file usage idea on existing mount :-)

Red sticker is not required, it is just for helping find proper initial position for lens. This is my understanding.

• @stonebat The $299 price is reduced to clear inventory I guess, but I would be very surprised if they include the 40mm f2.8 prime in that price. Usually that's an extra $50. I have some Pentax glass from my analog days, and might invest just for that reason.

• @ahbleza

I talked with few owners, did not get any negative comments.

As people like to express - Pentax made camera that only true Pentaxian could love :-) Sadly, not many left in this world :-)

• There's an unspoken rule in design that nothing should have the potential to look like a toilet seat. And for good reason. And yet, the armature surrounding the lens is just that.

• There's an unspoken rule in design that nothing should have the potential to look like a toilet seat. And for good reason. And yet, the armature surrounding the lens is just that.

LOL. Your fantasies are so wild :-)

• Got K-01. Proper one, I mean yellow one :-)

Amazing not so little camera. If you are not living your life in constant search for even remote reminders of toilet seats, it'll be good camera for you.

• Nice you eventually got it delivered. And also Yellow - my favourite version too! So @Vitaliy_Kiselev , are you planning on taking a look into the Firmware? E.g. increasing video bitrate?

• So @Vitaliy_Kiselev , are you planning on taking a look into the Firmware? E.g. increasing video bitrate?

I do not know for now. Main issue here is free time.

• I see... same problem here. Although from what is written here (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3298/pentax-hack-status/p1) doing something with this little cam may not be as time consuming as it was with the Panasonic cams... Anyways, how do you like the video mode so far? Is it okayish oder rather not so good?

• Anyways, how do you like the video mode so far? Is it okayish oder rather not so good?

Did not checked it yet :-) here is except from review

Video quality in the K-01 is quite good and may be initiated with the mode dial in any setting with a single push of the red button. The camera does a little better if you're able to establish focus initially with a half push of the shutter button before initiating video capture, but the continuous auto focus function and video does a pretty good job of catching up fairly quickly as subject distances change during the course of a video capture. Users have the choice of program auto, aperture priority or manual control for video exposure calculation. The stereo microphones proved susceptible to wind noise however the camera is not equipped with a wind cut feature.

Because it utilizes a CMOS sensor, rolling shutter effect is a consideration for the K-01, but the camera does a pretty good job of dealing with this effect. Rolling shutter is only apparent under extremely rapid pans ? pan speeds well beyond what would ordinarily be encountered or employed by the typical user.

• but the continuous auto focus function and video does a pretty good job

I thought the K-01 wasn't able to shoot video whith continuous autofocus and you had to re-focus by half-pressing the shutter-button? At least that was what I was reading up to now... could someone who has the cam at hand check and confirm what's right?

• @K01

I did not get too common with this camera, for me it works only pressing AF/EU-L button on back.

• @VK Thanks. So it's like I said, you have to manually re-focus by pressing a button whenever the subject gets out of focus while filming - and not as that excerpt said it was auto focussing, right? I wonder what they were doing that made them write that...

• So it's like I said, you have to manually re-focus by pressing a button whenever the subject gets out of focus while filming - and not as that excerpt said it was auto focussing, right? I wonder what they were doing that made them write that...

Yes, and focus will be slow :-) Do not expect m43 performance here. Sensor, lenses and processor are not designed for this.

Bad thing is also that focus peaking stop functioning as soon as you hit record.

• I know, but from what I saw on youtube, with the firmware update 1.01 the focus got much faster than what it was with version 1.0 - so in case you haven't updated it already, you should do it. The latest version by now is 1.03 (Information and Download here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-01_s.html) Well, peaking not being available in movie mode is a bummer, but hey, it's there in the first place which is great. Maybe a custom firmware could fix that ;-)