Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @natureflixs here's a few samples of a nikkor ais ED 600mm and a Panasonic 100-300 on a G6. Most of the time in ETC 1080-60p mp4 mode.

600mm slow mo

first few scenes are with the 100-300

all with the 100-300

anyway you go, you're going to have an incredible cam and setup for wildlife with a gh4. if you can get a 400mm I think you'll be happier with how well the ETC brings in the critters than with a 300mm.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these insane effective focal lengths work on the gH4.

cheers, pete

• Found this on vimeo.

• This is kind of cool, though the name is misleading, since it's not strictly Gh4 footage...

I asked about which shots were shot with what camera and got the following response:

• Waves and Moon GH4
    • House on fire GH2
    • The rest G6
  • @natureflixs

I had that lens for a while with my GH2. It was a great lens. I got a slightly scratched barrel lens for less than $100. It was an awkward lens because of its weight versus the lighter camera.

Personally I would just get the 100-300mm Panasonic lens. With IS and the ability to do software IS with 4K you should be able to do wildlife videos. Perhaps even handheld?

• Thinking about acquiring a mint =Nikon Nikkor ED-IF 300mm f/4.5 AiS for my ordered GH-4 for tripod based wildlife video. Anyone have any opinions on this combo? Looking to stay under $400.

• @Tron yeah, it would definitely be a one-trick pony, but since I envision shooting almost everything in 4K it might be worthwhile. What would be really cool is if they made a SB with interchangeable elements, so you could swap out the .625 optics for .72 optics and v.v., depending on what you were shooting.

• @AdamT The only downside I see for a reducer made specifically for the 2.4x 4K video crop is the vignetting it would likely cause with still photographs or 1080P video shot on the full sensor width.

• 43Rumors posted an FT4-rated rumor that Metabones is working at least one GH4-specific Speed Booster "that will create a perfect DX/Super35 lens view."

If true I suppose it means that the SB will provide a .625X reduction to reduce the GH4's 4K crop from 2.4X to 1.5X. Would be very cool!

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-metabones-working-on-a-dedicated-speedbooster-for-the-gh4/

• Maybe forgot to conform to Progressive for the C100 footage

• Yep, I heard that too. Why the heck do a test using interlaced video? From what I understand the C100 gets 30p using 60i, kinda like the GH2 does. I've never seen the GH2 have this problem though with 30p footage.

Should have done the test in 24p.

By the way, the C100 hard terrible aliasing at 100% as well. I will chalk that up to bad editing/shooting.

• A poster on other forum suggesting that the C100 footage had been de-interlaced and is half resolution on the 200% view. I know the C100 is a really really sharp camera that has more resolution than the GH3 so that would explain some of the resolution loss and the aliasing.

• I like shootouts, provided they are done in a consistent and accurate way. This particular shootout had some serious issues. Luckily for Panasonic their cameras did well even with the flaws in the testing. The stair-step aliasing on the C100 would scare me on the other hand if I took it for granted that the camera operator knew exactly what he/she was doing.

• Well, I did read the blog and and the guy (a/k/a Andrew Dean) more or less concedes that they probably should have used a different profile, maybe didn't have the screen brightness set correctly, possibly had the wrong exposure settings, etc., etc. He only had the camera for several hours and at least attempted to put together an interesting test.

• @jonpais I didn't read into Adam's remarks as being disrespectful just because he referred to someone as a "guy." Personally, I lost confidence in this "test" the minute it became apparent the producers were just winging it. I mean, if you can't even get the exposure close, why not at least delay posting it until you can do it right, otherwise you leave yourself open to some well-deserved scrutiny. I also don't like seeing audio that's way out of sync, even in a camera test. How long would it have taken to sync 6 tracks properly... 1 or 2 minutes tops?

• @AdamT First of all, 'the guy' does have a name, Andrew Dean. Secondly, if you read the blog first, you would know why the GH4 was shot in Standard profile, and that this would not have been Andrew's first choice. He specifically mentions regretting not using the CineLike D setting (from the wording in his blog, it's not even entirely clear that the preproduction model they tested had CineLike D). From what I've seen so far though, I think the Cinelike profile would be my go to setting. Incidentally, Adam, this isn't meant as a personal criticism, I guess I'd just like to see all contributors try to keep their comments constructive.

• On the Youtube page the guy says he used the same settings for the GH3 and GH4, which is kinda strange since the profiles won't be the same. And it could mean that the preproduction camera had mislabeled ISO settings?

• @AdamT agreed. I do like the mystery and playing along but I could guess most of those cams right away. The 7D stood out as terrible. I don't understand why they underexposed the GH4 so much. It still looked good once graded and I tend to underexpose the GH3 myself but that seemed a bit much considering the lighting.

• @AdamT

Yes FW v 1.0 they are probably boxing freshly flashed cameras in boxes since last week for launch. It seems mid April for Japan and April 30th for the US.

• As far as assessing the GH4, that shootout was worthless because the shots were so underexposed relative to the other cameras.

• As far as camera shootouts go, this notion that they have to be kept blind to the viewer is starting to get pretty ridiculous. It's nice to see a footage comparison but why not just label every shot and save people the hassle of having to write down a legend just to decode what camera they're looking at?

• @albertocvr Yes, it's possible according to the GH4 presentation pdf that Driftwood posted.

• Does anybody knows if it´s possible to record 4K 8bit4-2-0 internally with the HDMI output set to 1080p ? , for multicopters HDMI-AV converters like Zenmuse it´s a must .

• C100 5DMIII GH3 GH4 7D Shootout. :)