Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Adobe Premiere Pro CC and other CC Suite 2021 products
  • 410 Replies sorted by
  • Where is the info about exporting in H.265?

• @rNeil Thanks for checking that. Very cool re 32 bit. Seems like you're having a fun at NAB - seems like a blast.

• And yes, confirmed by an engineer ... all the effects in the new-release's Color workspace panel are 32-bit floating point. Still no timeline for releasing it of course ...

Neil

• Cool - thanks Neil.

• The "32 bit" is whether it's calculated in 32-bit floating point mode. I'll check farther, but basically SpeedGrade just works "there" ... one of the reasons it can be a resource hog. ALL of the new color toys um ... TOOLS! ... coming into PrPro are coming from re-working Sg tools into PrPro's new "Color Workspace", and I think just in the same manner (basically) as they exist in Sg. A couple tools have been "re-imagined" as they call it, taking say the way a tool looks in Lightroom, and using a similar effect from Sg but putting the Lr style control on it.

Talking with the engineers who designed it, the new Hue Wheel in the PrPro color workspace is supposed to be simply the rectangular hue-control tool that's a linear box in Sg, turned into a circle for the new PrPro space for easier understanding ... it's obvious that it's a continuous spectrum control there, which it isn't at first as a hue line in Sg. However ... my testing got me to subtle things I couldn't quite match with the Sg tool ... and the engineers just looked at me and shook their heads saying it should be the same. But when a couple of the other colorists that were there ... all vastly more experienced and professionally known than I ... heard the conversation, they also jumped in saying that though the engineers may think it's the same, it ... ain't. Whether it's just how we interact with it or there's actually a change in the way it interfaces with other things within PrPro, it's not just different ... it's better.

And the Lumetri terminology is basically their naming of their own LUT engine. As that's what a "Look" in Sg is ... realistically, a LUT with their own format. The Lumetri "engine" reads any standard LUT format.

You can also within Sg save any Look you've made and then export it as edl, CUBE, or LUT files.

But again, I'll check and get back with a more definitive answer on the 32-bit floating-point question

Neil.

• @rNeil Do you know if the new color tools in Premiere are 32 bit? I ask because some of the color correction stuff in Premiere is 32 bit and some of it isn't. (I remember seeing some Lumetri tools in a few versions back of Premiere CC, but it didn't have that "32" icon next to it, so wasn't sure if those did or didn't do 32 bit, and now I'm also curious about the new color tools.)

• I'll for sure be looking forward to H.265 exports. Sometimes my YouTube videos gets so massive and I'd be able to almost halve the bit rates I use. Basically allowing me to get my videos online quicker. With that said, if the exporting time is something like say 10x longer, that would be a different story.

• I'll have to check about H.265. Back home tomorrow but not sure I'll be in the studio any, so it might be Monday before I respond.

Neil

• @rNeil Sounds interesting. Thanks for your thoughts/review.

• rNeil

Thanks for keeping us updated. You mentioned H265 exports, is there any word on editing H265 in the timeline?It's the one feature me and all other NX1 users are dying for :)

• I've not had much time to play with the new versions of PrPro & Sg, but from what I've done, the color panel is slick ... and as everything you do of course pops up in the effects panel, ANYTHING you do in that new color panel is both keyframeable and trackable. Plus, of course, you can dial the effect down, all of those sorts of things still apply. You don't have to grab an effect & drop on the timeline then click it's drop-down and do something ... you can just change things even in live playback while watching your changes affect the clip. That alone saves a ton of time.

There's two new face tracking options ... one "general" the other "Face details". Choose one, drag it generally over a face, and it changes to fit the face. Say the person goes into a huge yawn, the mask will automatically elongate to fit the face shape, and shrink back as their jaw goes into place. Put this on, then go into the new color workspace panel and lift brightness or alter color/hue ... this is fast & slick.

Facial detail will sort out and list in the effects panel lips, eyebrows, both nostrils ... pick what you want to work on.

Those are just a few of the new things. Usable things. And one thing I noticed, as my current editing machine is only an i7 4-core at like 3.6ghz with 16Gb ram ... though I do have twin 256Gb SSD's in RAID0 for system and a ton of Sata/eSata disks so I've got all the parts split up on decent in/out lines: the new build runs faster, previews better, than the current public release. AND ... it's not done being "optimized" yet.

Coupled with some new features in Ae, and a better performing Dynamic Link, I think @shian might just find this pretty interesting.

Not even going into Project Candy, which ... well, it's been a trip to watch that get flashed under people's noses.

• Does anyone besides me find it funny that the new features video is both overexposed and badly white-balanced? You would get better results by setting the camera on the "smart" button.

• Some exciting new things. Will wait and see how good they are. One bonus, I let my subscription lapse last month... so I was able to cash in on the new pricing.

• Why does the thumbnail and the end of the video has someone that looks like Justin Bieber?

He trying get a lot of views that way or are those images part of the software?

Am I the only one who noticed that?

• As to H.265 presets, remember this is NOT a final build. There's more features that may come into it before shipping, let alone presets.

Yes, the new "morp" tool is going to be killer for interview work. I've not had the chance to play with it, but I've spent many hours over the last few days with others who have. It isn't a perfect-every-time tool (at least yet) but it is quite amazing.

@geoffcbassett ... there are several features of the new build that will make coming into PrPro from the stills side of things SO much easier! Vastly easier to understand, the new color workspace a home-away-from-home for Lr/ACR users, audio not quite so mystifying, and on and on.

I'll be trying to get the time to get some info/demos up over the next month or so to give those like me who come into video from stills a good start when it does ship.

Neil

• For me, the new color feature is worth it for white balance and exposure adjustment alone. Coming from a photography background this really is a dream come true.

• The morph feature looks interesting for budget interviews.

• In about 22 minutes of above video he shows new export prsets. Interesting thing is that there is no h.265 there yet.

btw. Anyone knows the name of transition use in this video?

• I've been a big fan of SpeedGrade, I love working in that intriguing program. But with these changes I'm not going to have the excuse that I need to go play in Sg nearly as much. Some projects it just won't make sense.

Dang it ... but I will be working faster. Can't always have everything. ;-)

Neil

• @rNEIL,

Looking forward to your report!

These new features are very encouraging. I'm glad I renewed my yearly subscription - especially since you can find the prepaid 1 yr codes for 320$ on eBay.

• One totally new control is the Hue wheel. That is something I've not seen quite the like of before. SpeedGrade currently has (in the Curves choices) a Hue/Sat ... line? It's a long thinnish horizontal rectangle with a white line down the center and the background is a color wash ... red on both ends (it actually runs off one end back to the other) and a progression "around" a color wheel through yellow green cyan blue magent to red again. You can click to set a point or two, then click & grab in between to move the saturation for that hue up or down.

The new hue wheel in the next PrPro is ... a color wheel like you'd see for typical grading controls ... BUT ... it has a circle of white in the mid-point from the inner to outer part of the wheel, and you click & drag on that in/out to increase or decrease sat of that hue. There's some small color circles to click on to auto-set points on the line if you choose. It's very fast to use, VERY obvious what to do with it ... and easy to work.

Combined in the whole Lightroom/ACR style panel down the right side of PrPro when in the new Color workspace, it's going to be quick, easy, and effective to do most grading things in PrPro without needing to go to Sg except for major work.

This is a no-brainer for the people who tend to do small things in grading ... like quite a few of the M4/3 people I've known, or say many of my peers from stills photography ... but have quite a bit of experience in "developing" images in Lightroom's Develop module or the ACR module through Bridge or Photoshop. The controls are pretty much "placed" as you would be used to seeing them, and they do a very similar thing to the look of the image as the similar controls in those stills programs.

You can do your editing, then quickly boost the appearance without having to learn anything "new" like say video corrections in a dedicated Grading suite ... which is pretty daunting for most newbs.

They've also somewhat simplified setting up multiple audio tracks ... something that pretty much mystified me before, and I think I'll be able to use now. I've looked at that but not had time to play with it yet.

Neil

• It would be interesting if they did that, while keeping full capacity of the merged programs. I guess people would like to avoid round-tripping between editor and color-grading programs. (And same for audio. It kinda works that way now with Speedgrade for grading, and Audition for audio.)