Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Genesis is 1080p now, much better.

• I wonder what's going to happen to Panasonic's Live MOS business. Ok enough speculation. Getting tired of rumors.

• And more DR, better lowlight and just because it's a Sony sensor doesn't mean all of the sony traits carry over. Panasonic processing and encoding, etc. Motion and such could be different.

So, I guess it's a wait and see game as usual.

• One advantage of Sony sensor is that GH3 can ship good right from the start :-)

• I heard the rumors about Sony sensor on Gh3, too. Let's wait and see whether it's true or not. Meanwhile I'm holding my Gh2 tight.

• See Gh1/Gh2 multi aspect chart.

GH2_sensor_aspect_ratios_1920_1.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 690K
  • @kholi

It is 2x :-) same as for all m43 except GH1 and GH2.

• Count that as something I did not know before now...

Wonder how much smaller than GH2.

• @kholi

Crop is calculated as reference sensor size divided by our sensor size.

• That's what I figured...

THe crop gets smaller, doesn't it? >.< I don't know that calculation.

• @kholi

We had same post here. :-) Had been removed due to few reasons (one being that author seems to miscalculated the day).

To be short it has : picture is soft, moire is more, sensor is not multi aspect, from Sony, period.

As for crop - yep.

• Someone posted on another forum that they had also used the camera and that it a non-multi Sony sensor in it. Doesn't that change the size of the crop factor as well since it's not multi aspect?

• I think main cry can be about sensor, as it is very strong rumors that we'll see non-multiaspect Sony creation.

• Frickin sweet... gotta see that Full HD source file. Thank you Mr. Bloom!!

• @yoclay I wonder if Bloom considered shooting that train shot with a super-wide angle lens in ETC zoom mode? That would have significantly reduced the rolling shutter effect, but the increased noise and slightly different exposure balance might have been more difficult to intercut in post. At any rate, that's what I'd try as a cheaper alternative to a Canon C100...

• Canon C100/300/500 line just to improve rolling shutter, your mad! GH3 will cost 1/4 a C100 and has 1080p50 and takes stills! Anyway Bloom has just mentioned he will re-upload 'Genesis' in 1080p and make it available to download :)

• For me the rolling shutter of the train shot (passing before her on the platform) kinda says it all about the GH3. I think it is the thing which most needs improvement to be a pro cam. Just tired of it. I begin to see more and more the real value of the Canon C100/300/500 line surrounding this issue.

• "should I suppose it's just too much compression" its 7Mbit 720p, yes its the compression. This short still demonstrated to me it has something I really craved, better colour especially them fleshtones! Dynamic range/gradiation/low light latitude also looked better, but obviously cant truly judge anything from 1 video.

• Panasonic corporate sells to the country sales groups, who sell to their dealers, who sell to customers. Exec's now must delay new product sales, due to inventory/credit issues at the corporate to country level, and country to dealer level. Why do I say this? Search the major online stores, and they all show every combination of GH2 in stock, (Bodies only, bodies with lens, etc.) at discounts, except J&R who only shows only some. Which can also equal dealers up against their line credit limit still so can't place restocking orders yet. Everyone knows how tight credit is now. That's usually a bad sign for new product availability, as it appears most dealers have not "washed out the field" before this new product announcement, again. If dealers are full, I wonder how full Panasonic USA country stock is too. "Supply side" reporting and USA accounting law is very different now compared to just a few years ago...

Dealers will want to return old stock. Manufacturers tell them "just sell it off, and here is a minor discount to help you. We haven't released that new product in the USA anyway yet." It appears that may be where it's at now. We've seen this before.

The next big sales run requires inventory in stock by November 1 in USA. With Panasonic history in USA, do you think they can ship big numbers of GH3 by November 1? That means, dealers will instead bet their holiday inventory cash in other products or get big "Holiday Discounts" ads on GH2's first, and then pick GH3 up in Q1 or Q2 2013, after they count their holiday season profit first.

No hate. It's just biz.

• @DrDave more like noise.

Btw, my comment about genesis at dvxuser was:

Quite dissapointing actually. The image detail (should I suppose it's just too much compression?), the grading and the editing seem quite subpar for names like Logan and Bloom. We sure have seen much better gh2 footage in every aspect. I mean, what's up with the crushed blacks, the missing detail, the badly handshaken footage, the skippy slow mo? I still can't wait to preorder it and I'm so enthousiastic about the gh3, but I suspect this short, to my surprise, doesn't do it justice.

• Ugh, grain. Ugh. Hoping it is some crazy high ISO.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev +1

making another GH3's "reverie" make no sense ...

Waiting for monday's spec presentation.

I Think Bloom's film deserves GH3

• I think it was good marketing. Rather than just getting a bump on Monday. They get all this buzz over the weekend. How much do you want to bet another test video shows up Sunday morning by mistake.

• @TheNewDeal, Actually Pany has every reason to expect heavier sales in the US, so my guess is that they'll be better prepared to have ample supply this time. They are obviously trying to build up anticipation with this video specifically targeting the Hack community directly. Having P. Bloom involved clearly indicates that they know who their target market is gonna be. IMO this market has grown exponentially over the years and isn't so small anymore. I think they have done the research on this market and video is clearly a MAJOR focus of this camera. Why spend so much development on the video side if you don't think it will lead to a lot more sales?

• Dr Strangelove on now, instead of gh3 rumours. ;) A masterpiece that was shot on black and white film because they couldn´t afford color.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions