Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Panasonic corporate sells to the country sales groups, who sell to their dealers, who sell to customers. Exec's now must delay new product sales, due to inventory/credit issues at the corporate to country level, and country to dealer level. Why do I say this? Search the major online stores, and they all show every combination of GH2 in stock, (Bodies only, bodies with lens, etc.) at discounts, except J&R who only shows only some. Which can also equal dealers up against their line credit limit still so can't place restocking orders yet. Everyone knows how tight credit is now. That's usually a bad sign for new product availability, as it appears most dealers have not "washed out the field" before this new product announcement, again. If dealers are full, I wonder how full Panasonic USA country stock is too. "Supply side" reporting and USA accounting law is very different now compared to just a few years ago...

Dealers will want to return old stock. Manufacturers tell them "just sell it off, and here is a minor discount to help you. We haven't released that new product in the USA anyway yet." It appears that may be where it's at now. We've seen this before.

The next big sales run requires inventory in stock by November 1 in USA. With Panasonic history in USA, do you think they can ship big numbers of GH3 by November 1? That means, dealers will instead bet their holiday inventory cash in other products or get big "Holiday Discounts" ads on GH2's first, and then pick GH3 up in Q1 or Q2 2013, after they count their holiday season profit first.

No hate. It's just biz.

• "should I suppose it's just too much compression" its 7Mbit 720p, yes its the compression. This short still demonstrated to me it has something I really craved, better colour especially them fleshtones! Dynamic range/gradiation/low light latitude also looked better, but obviously cant truly judge anything from 1 video.

• For me the rolling shutter of the train shot (passing before her on the platform) kinda says it all about the GH3. I think it is the thing which most needs improvement to be a pro cam. Just tired of it. I begin to see more and more the real value of the Canon C100/300/500 line surrounding this issue.

• Canon C100/300/500 line just to improve rolling shutter, your mad! GH3 will cost 1/4 a C100 and has 1080p50 and takes stills! Anyway Bloom has just mentioned he will re-upload 'Genesis' in 1080p and make it available to download :)

• @yoclay I wonder if Bloom considered shooting that train shot with a super-wide angle lens in ETC zoom mode? That would have significantly reduced the rolling shutter effect, but the increased noise and slightly different exposure balance might have been more difficult to intercut in post. At any rate, that's what I'd try as a cheaper alternative to a Canon C100...

• Frickin sweet... gotta see that Full HD source file. Thank you Mr. Bloom!!

• I think main cry can be about sensor, as it is very strong rumors that we'll see non-multiaspect Sony creation.

• Someone posted on another forum that they had also used the camera and that it a non-multi Sony sensor in it. Doesn't that change the size of the crop factor as well since it's not multi aspect?

• @kholi

We had same post here. :-) Had been removed due to few reasons (one being that author seems to miscalculated the day).

To be short it has : picture is soft, moire is more, sensor is not multi aspect, from Sony, period.

As for crop - yep.

• That's what I figured...

THe crop gets smaller, doesn't it? >.< I don't know that calculation.

• @kholi

Crop is calculated as reference sensor size divided by our sensor size.

• Count that as something I did not know before now...

Wonder how much smaller than GH2.

• @kholi

It is 2x :-) same as for all m43 except GH1 and GH2.

• See Gh1/Gh2 multi aspect chart.

GH2_sensor_aspect_ratios_1920_1.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 690K
  • I heard the rumors about Sony sensor on Gh3, too. Let's wait and see whether it's true or not. Meanwhile I'm holding my Gh2 tight.

• One advantage of Sony sensor is that GH3 can ship good right from the start :-)

• And more DR, better lowlight and just because it's a Sony sensor doesn't mean all of the sony traits carry over. Panasonic processing and encoding, etc. Motion and such could be different.

So, I guess it's a wait and see game as usual.

• I wonder what's going to happen to Panasonic's Live MOS business. Ok enough speculation. Getting tired of rumors.

• Genesis is 1080p now, much better.

• The AA filter and codec have the greatest impact on sharpness. I don't believe a Sony sensor automatically guarantees a soft image.

• Hmm Well even the 1080P version of this has a softer image than the GH2 (and I am not talking about the compression...(1080p version maxing at 11mbps) Some may like that softer image...I just dont happen to be one of them, but we will see, its probably too early to tell yet.

But check out the Fan at 7 seconds...what is that garbage? (like field lines) on the fan? and the entire shot is soft, there is nothing remotely sharp anywhere in that shot, and many other shots too.

Check out the bag across the window at 33 seconds...what is that? more field style distorted lines.

I just hope that these are flaws because its an early production model, but right now tho the effect this video is having on me is I am starting to like my GH2 more and more!

• If the GH3 has that quasi soft 1080p nonsense... We need to boycott Panasonic or something... It's not tolerable at this point.

• We need to boycott Panasonic or something...

LOL. I am sure we must write to Europian Comission and to Japan goverment. :-)

• Just downloaded Genesis, and man I was not liking it at all. I know they don't spend much time and money on these things but please. I know these are 'names' and it's all about marketing. And I'm not pixel peeping or anything, but just an uninspiring overall product - and a bunch of grading things that even someone of mediocre skill like myself would not do - LOL. I think 'Work in Progress' would have been a better title :-)

• There are a couple of sequences where it seems normal speed but not 24p motion, to me, if that makes any sense. Otherwise looks fine, good even, just an underwhelming short from a creative perspective.

Assuming it's relatively low-price, it looks like a good buy, to me. Good video, better all around camera and build, and we've just entered an age where so many cameras are coming out so fast that I cannot see spending much money to own most of these units. Need something around for the day to do, can rent (or even buy) specifically needed camera for big jobs/shoots.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions