Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • I still would like to see the AF tracking being implemented in the GH3.

• Btw, H264 encoder in GX1 firmware already has partial support for 1080p50 and 1080p60 modes (at 28Mbit).

• Different exposures in different sensor lines? This stuff: http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-patent-shows-describes-a-new-sensor-tech/#comments has got VIDEO written on it all over! :)

If it made it to the GH3 together with a better codec, it would be goodbye RAW cameras...

• @duartix

Good advice - do not read rumors if you want to get info about GH3 so early. After it goes to the press, they could provide the leaks :-).

As for RAW cameras, they are made for their purpose today. You won't see raw in consumer camera for a while.

• The improvements on GH3 will depend entirely on a single question: does Panasonic view GH3 as primarily being a Photo camera, or does it intend to take the large (and growing) community of hacked GH13 and GH2 video users seriously?

If it's the former, then don't expect to many improvements, as they will reserve those for their failed AF101 line. But they will have to work VERY VERY hard to put up a serious challenge against the specs of the Black Magic Design Camera, especially at that price point. (Personally, if I would have to choose between a £1000 GH3 (with only minor improvements) or much improved AF101 for £4000, and BlackMagic camera for £2000, guess what I'd choose? Definitely BM!!!)

If it's the later, and Panasonic does indeed choose to target the video DSLR market, then they will have to take their ear plugs out and LISTEN to the community here at personal-view.com!!!!! Here's my list of feature requests:

1) Do something about the 2X Crop Factor - it's the worst pain in the neck. We're having VERY hard time getting simple wide angle video shots that are not FishEye at 28mm. At ultra-wide angle, well, it's simply impossible (I never heard of a rectilinear 7mm lens that would give me a 14mm on M4/3). What can be done? I don't know... you're the inventors. Make the Ex Tele mode much more powerful and recording at true 1080p at least! Bring back LA7200, improve it and sell it at affordable prices! Do something!

2) Hire @Vitaliy_Kiselev for a year on a big fat cheque. And make him head of the team of video engineers for GH3. Or at least, release a camera that is not too hard to hack, and we'll do the rest ;D

3) Give us the 12 or 13 stops of a Dynamic Range. We may not need 2K or 4K on GH3, but a good dynamic range is a must.

4) Give us a true 4:4:4 . If it means changing the codec and recording RAW onto a SSD, well -- so be it.

5) Resolve the rolling shutter! Really, it's not funny.

6) You guys at Panasonic need to really step up your game with ISO. Learn from Canon (I hate to say this, really.).

7) Audio. decent mic plugs, options to record 24bit/48kHz and 24bit/96kHz WAV.

8) Make the flipout screen bigger and make it into a touchscreen with a nice GUI (your Quick Menu is not Quick at all. ISO, WB etc can all be changed from the touch screen). Once the screen has flipped out, please allow us to lock it in that position (otherwise it falls when you add a viewfinder).

These are my thoughts on what features I'd like to see. Like I said, it will all depend of how Panasonic thinks what this camera is. If I don't see significant improvements on GH3, I hate to say this, but I will begin saving up for BM camera or maybe another such camera(s) that will definitely show up soon.

• I can pretty much live with the GH2 except for it's poor low light performance, the ridiculous iso bug and the nonsense with the lcd gamma change. Those of you holding out for 10bit, 4:2:2 better start saving for another camera.

• Do something about the 2X Crop Factor - it's the worst pain in the neck. We're having VERY hard time getting simple wide angle video shots that are not FishEye at 28mm.

Very strange proposition. I see no problems with wide angle lenses. As for m43 crop factor - it is best on the market.

Give us the 12 or 13 stops of a Dynamic Range.

You can make fantasies whole day. GH3 will improve DR, but no way it'll have 13 stops DR.

Give us a true 4:4:4 . If it means changing the codec and recording RAW onto a SSD, well -- so be it.

Another fantasy. It is consumer camera. Period.

You guys at Panasonic need to really step up your game with ISO.

Alwasy check words you write. Panasonic sensors are absolutely on par with Canon or any other modern sensors. Sometimes they are better than them. Just smaller :-)

Audio. decent mic plugs, options to record 24bit/48kHz and 24bit/96kHz WAV.

Yeah, XLR :-) Pray for 3.5mm jack.

• I hope they make 1080p 50 (60) frames ... A better/cleaner HDMI output. Double SD cards ... Better USB with remote control features ...

• 8 bit is still pretty good but 10 bit would be nice. A tiny bit more DR, and a bit of work on the picture profiles and I'll be a happy camper. I'm really liking the look of the Olympus OM-D. With Panasonic's capabilities in video we are going to have another great on our hands like we already have with the GH2.

Maybe a high frame rate 720p mode would be nice. Something like 120fps at 720p. that would be amazing and would set Panasonic apart from anything the competition is offering in it's price range, even if it is at a lower bitrate.

• I kinda like the half-touchscreen idea....keep the buttons, and use the touchscreen only when absolutely necessary (like to focus on something, or move the histogram around).

I saw how some people struggle with the touchscreen-only from the sony VG20, it looks like a real pain in the a**.

But clearly, a better screen resolution would be a must... and a screen that displays what the camera actually records, not some brighter image.

• I would be happy to see Panasonic do what Canon and Nikon did in terms of HDMI output, Mic level adjustment and Headphone out.

As for DR, I believe that they should be looking to improve that and I doubt that they would put out a GH3 without having addressed this. Also i'd LOVE 4:2:2 color.

I also agree that improvements to the LCD, EVF and as I said earlier HDMI out would pretty much be high on the list.

One thing that they could do to kind of separate themselves from the pack would be to offer a 120 FPS at 1080 overcrank in camera. This would seem IMO to be something modern processors can handle already and with the quality of the GH sensor could be a really nice bonus. Naturally the record times would be short, but if they give the feature legit quality, people would accept it. 8-10 seconds at a high frame rate at full quality would be awesome.

• Not likely to happen and call me old fashioned if you like, but I would love a infra red remote rather than a touch screen with fingerprints all over it.

• @Rambo

I think you'll get you remote, in the form on any phone, just using wi-fi direct. And capacitive touchscreen you also will get.

• Yes thanks VK, all the consumer orientated stuff I expect, sure miss the old LANC days through :-(

• All the features of a Vixia G10, especially focus tracking, monster battery, working zoom, lower noise, hp/mic jack, volume control, but with the hacked GH2 driftwood or flowmotion or [your hack here] ability to render detail and push the color in post. Lens correction without the sharpening for the 14mm especially. Or label the contact I have to tape over. Did I mention monster battery? Oh, right. Oh yes, and the new Olympus IS system, why not? And the screen from my Samsung Infuse OLED. Just rip it out of the phone and tape it right on. Please. Right now. And doesn't anyone make a freaking camera where you can get the card AND the battery out AND leave it on the tripod?

• "And doesn't anyone make a freaking camera where you can get the card AND the battery out AND leave it on the tripod?"

^This.

• I see on several rumors sites that a big announce is expected for this month...

Just speculations?

• @LongJohnSilver

They mean G5. And they missed with their previous predictions concerning G5 :-) As I said, all things published before camera becomes available to press have about 10-15% probability on this sites (unless it is intentional company leak).

• I think you mean G5 -you can delete this post, please

• @sam_rides_a_mtb

Yep, of course, fixed.

• It's a stills camera. (Here we go..lol.) - yet Panasonic obviously recognized the demand for DSLR video in the GH2. After using almost every Driftwood patch I've seen on here, I can honestly say at this point I'm having a hard time deciphering the differences between them... They are all amazing, but I think we've seen the full potential of the GH2.

I think at this point, if you want to get realistic about what to expect, the good news is there's a cinema camera coming that shoots raw with 13 stops of dynamic range for $3000.... Just on paper alone, that casts a pretty big shadow for everyone else in terms of what they can get away with price/performance wise.

The AF-100 has went kaput because the GH2 can render more detail now than a $13,000 C300. Either Panasonic will introduce a direct replacement for the AF-100 with AVC Ultra and such, (which I've heard nothing about...) - OR.... The GH3 will be an absolute beast. I don't think it'll get AVC Ultra, but it will probably have a better codec. The dynamic range will be an overhaul as well i imagine. I get better latitude with my T2i and Cinestyle. If the GH2 had a profile like that, I'm not spoiled... I'd probably not be so quick to jump on the next big thing from Panny.

Banding in the shadows, stuff like that, etc. Obvious issues with 8 bit 4:2:0... The point here, is that for $700... The GH2 gives you more than any DSLR on the market currently, sans the 1-DC. ($14,300 price difference too.)

The cool thing about the GH2 is that it is a True "Hybrid" camera... So if they wanted to throw a global shutter on the damn thing because people don't like jellocam, it would be justified. Because it can take great photos with a Global shutter too at the push of a button. If they can offer what they do now with 2 or 3 year old technology for $700, they could throw major features in demand on the GH3, hike up the price a bit, even if that meant over $2000, and that whole market would crap their pants. RAW capability will cost you $3000 in August, so:

1. Clean HDMI out. The internal codec wouldn't be such a big deal then.
    2. Better Dynamic Range and Color.
    3. 1080 - 60p
    4. Better LCD.
    5. Flat Cinestyle type profile?

Then, ....when Vitaliy hacks it, game over. :)

• what's reasonable to expect?

-weather proofing (one should expect that since they weather-proofed the new x lens.)

-improved stills capabilities (something close to OMd)

-faster processing, bigger buffer, meaning: better burst mode, more advanced in-camera features, higher framerates.*

-better sensor (in what way?)

-better display

-native (nonPsF) 25p / not an after-thought like it was for the gh2.

what I'm hopeful for:

better camera output (hdmi, hd-sdi?)

log or more customizable profiles.

good price point. (not too much higher than gh2)

new types of connections, for stuff like wifi syncing e.t.c.

*When thinking about how faster processing combined with a better sensor, I'm guessing we could be seeing stuff like HDR modes for stills and and video (improved iDYNAMIC feature), selective corrections, in-camera stabilization to higher iso rates e.t.c..

Personally I think the improvements for the gh3 will not need to be massive to be competitive as long as the form-factor is about the same and it has a good price point, as long as it will be hackable. There is already a good knowledge base and respect for the gh2 (mostly thanks to this community) and as long as such things are kept intact / built upon then there is no reason why the gh3 wouldn't be every bit as successful as the gh2.

Yes DR is the next thing which companies will look at for video.. Better output also (from raw, raw-like to 4k), so I would not worry about such things.

• Main question to ask is whether Panasonic is building a leading product (GH3 and nothing else), or preparing a new range of products (with AF101 replacement, and maybe something to compete head-on with Scarlet, C500, FS800)...in which case we should lower our expectations. Possibly, Panasonic holds the key to the future shape of the whole market in its hands.

• Doesn't anyone remember that interview where one of the Panasonic Engineers is talking about the GH3 getting 'pro' features,... as they are sick and tired of playing second fiddle...

I think we should expect a few pro features... and maybe even a reshuffle of the lineups...

• What would 'pro' features even be? 4:2:2 via HDMI? Peaking? P-Log? Headphone jack?(jokes)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions