Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • @MinorHD I like Imogen Heap a lot. That does not mean I like it when someone tries to copy the literal side of what she has done instead of continuing in her spirit. I also like her innovation and production standards and do not feel this piece lived up to either. Her music always seems very appropriate to what she is doing - you cannot simply expect that it will apply to future work the same way.

I do not think that is what she would have been inspired to write if she looked at that footage. I think there are literally thousands of composers that could have looked at the footage and been inspired to create music that went along well with the pictures. This music seems very disconnected.

For instance, what is the video about? Either it is introducing something new and should be emphasizing the exoticness and adventure of that, or it is presenting the professional aspect of a new product (and should emphasize that) or it is conveying how desirable something is (which means emphasizing either the desirability or longing, etc.)

Given the content and editing approach of the material, there is nothing to suggest the combination of long spaces (without a strong sense of space) and a minamalist approach. In addition, given the target market, there should be an attempt made to target universal timbres and textures: something that helps unify the market groups (or at the very least avoids alienating potential customers).

Forgetting for a moment the worth of the music as a standalone entity, it is obvious that it is not functioning well as a marketing vehicle because in this thread (combined with others) there is an aggregate response of alienation in the comments that exceeds 40%. Not just "do not like very much" or "meh", but active or emphasized dislike.

When people are distracted enough from your promotional video to mention that, the music is not doing the job it supposed to: supporting and serving the video.

I guess what I am trying to say is, even if you genuinely like the music, do you not agree that it would be better off to listen to in a different context?

And does not the addition the title cards suggest that the music should either have differentitated sections that highlight the different sides of the camera, or that it should flow, fill and unify in the background to create subtext that "this camera is fully equipped to handle all of these equally well"? It could also help to communicate the message to less experienced users of the camera that by using the GH3 you are becoming part of something bigger or "stepping in with the big boys".

Marketing is supposed to address wants, desires, fears and needs. If the music does not aid in any of those, it is not in-line with the marketing intent.

In other words, the GH3 deserves better. A lot better.

• That video showed me everything I need to see to make a purchase. In terms of motion cadence, the slight judder / exposure trail issues that some of us notice at odd times weren't present. Everything was very clean. If it's under 2k then this is definitely a must buy.

• @mpgxsvcd Yep, and what's your point? You're still telling me that these companies don't do this? Have you ever actually been behind the scenes on anything like this?

• Colour stunning, dynamic range better, low light looks alot better in terms of latitude, 1080 slo mo looks great, decent codec options out the box and its build like a tank....awesome.

• One thing I found reassuring is it just "feels" like the image is out of a GH-cam. It has that same look, which I've become very accustomed to in my work thusfar with the GH2. Acclimating to this cam will be a breeze for previous GH users.

• I really have trouble understanding Panasonic approach.

Leak of promotional video.
    Now, Bloom shooting something that also must, by idea, promote GH3.

Is everything ok in Panasonic?

• This was a PRE PRODUCTION GH3! Let's remember that too. Still I thought it was very good test of the camera. IMO you can't really make a hard judgment off the video alone. We still have to have 1st hand experience from multiple users. However, this promo vid did show a lot of positive signs.

When you look at the new build and features, along with the image quality such as we can tell so far it looks like a very good product.

• To be fair, Bruce Logan has done a lot of work here. You can see his lighting style, down to camera work and action in most scenes in this footage. Just, Philip is the more popular name within the very low budget community.

Not saying that Philip didn't do anything, just that Bruce Logan has done a lot here, and his stamp is on it.

• They should have gotten Kraft to promote that PB video...

• If you watch the video again just look at the night scene with the cops and pay attention to the lights. In particular the Police lights and brake lights of the vehicles. You can actually see detail in the lights as opposed to just a blown out blob. That tells me a lot about the DR of this camera cuz usually you can't do a low light scene and have such bright lights as police and emergency vehicles in the shot and not have the lights blow out all the time. For a GH this was a very good job of handling that much DR.

• @kholi Agreed. Nice promo video demoing camera abilities, definitely directed by Bruce Logan considering no slider shots of foliage set to Wagner or Holst, grinning faces... ;-)

Happy to see PB shooting narrative on this one. Plenty of time for tests later, looks good so far. Would be nice to see limited 4K video mode, if even capped for 10 seconds or so- that would generate massive buzz...

• Who wants to bet on which hack setting Panasonic used in the GH3 firmware ;)

• Well, considering PB reaches a lot more potential buyers than Bruce Logan, it was a good decision to do something like this. Although, I can´t really see anything particularly interesting about the vid - I mean - there are good looking shots but impossible to say much about the camera used.

• @RRRR

That's sort of the grey area, though... with all that was done, it looks great from a cinema perspective. Like, a motion picture. In that regard, strictly judging cinematic value, there's a lot to be had.

And, IMO, it also does more for me than any of the recent release videos that have come around. That might just be me.

On the other hand, I liked that BMD just gave John a camera to run around with, and the stuff that he showed earlier on. Yeah, it was beaches and people, but without a lot there to distract it sort of shows exactly what the camera is. So, many ways to skin a cat...

Maybe someone will get ahold of one earlier on as well and show a different side to it?

Either way, at least it's almost here.

• Only seen it on my phone so far, so this isn't too much of a technical response, though the improved DR, low light performance and smoothness of that codec has me very happy. To me that adds up to a lot more than pure resolution alone, though I won't be completely sold until I see other tests and how it performs under color correction. If it does come with the 12-35 ands its a reasonable price, I see no reason why not to pair this with a gh2 or a bmc. Looking forward to hearing all of the specs in full detail soon!

• I liked the look of the Genesis video. Story was, well, meh. Saw that ending coming from a mile away! But I kept reminding myself, it's really just a higher budget camera test. I'm most happy with the skin tones.

I see no reason why I won't get a GH3 - it fits into my camera ecosystem. Ultimately, when I get one will come down to price, availability, and what options the camera comes with. I've been looking for a B-cam, so I assume my GH2 will become just that.

My only geeky hope is that there is a better way to get audio into the camera (maybe mini-XLR in on the battery adapter?). But that's just what I dream about on Saturdays when I'm not cleaning my apartment... ie. I should be cleaning my apartment right now.

• after all the debates about music for the previous video, i noticed that "genesis" does not give any credit for music - smart sound or such, no budget, i guess...

• @kholi Maybe I´m spoilt in this regard (cinema perspective) from the gh2... You can do a lot with good handling, good lenses, good use of filters e.t.c. So the look of a motion picture doesn´t tell me, personally a whole lot. I guess the shots that I personally find the most impressive are the night-time shots. (hardest to manipulate)

I want to see simple footage (w/o shallow DOF) from an array of conditions where any external manipulation (ligthing, filters e.t.c.) are clearly stated. Test shots, basically. I´m really curious about what kind of texture it produces.. But then again, I don´t think panny need to sell me this camera, as I already have the intention to get one asap.

For me, John sold the BMD cam... or more importantly it was the quality of the images, (cam obviously used well).

• My only worry is, knowing Panasonic Lumix sales history, we should be seeing this available for sale in USA by... maybe next July? :)

• Dr Strangelove on now, instead of gh3 rumours. ;) A masterpiece that was shot on black and white film because they couldn´t afford color.

• @TheNewDeal, Actually Pany has every reason to expect heavier sales in the US, so my guess is that they'll be better prepared to have ample supply this time. They are obviously trying to build up anticipation with this video specifically targeting the Hack community directly. Having P. Bloom involved clearly indicates that they know who their target market is gonna be. IMO this market has grown exponentially over the years and isn't so small anymore. I think they have done the research on this market and video is clearly a MAJOR focus of this camera. Why spend so much development on the video side if you don't think it will lead to a lot more sales?

• I think it was good marketing. Rather than just getting a bump on Monday. They get all this buzz over the weekend. How much do you want to bet another test video shows up Sunday morning by mistake.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev +1

making another GH3's "reverie" make no sense ...

Waiting for monday's spec presentation.

I Think Bloom's film deserves GH3

• Ugh, grain. Ugh. Hoping it is some crazy high ISO.

• @DrDave more like noise.

Btw, my comment about genesis at dvxuser was:

Quite dissapointing actually. The image detail (should I suppose it's just too much compression?), the grading and the editing seem quite subpar for names like Logan and Bloom. We sure have seen much better gh2 footage in every aspect. I mean, what's up with the crushed blacks, the missing detail, the badly handshaken footage, the skippy slow mo? I still can't wait to preorder it and I'm so enthousiastic about the gh3, but I suspect this short, to my surprise, doesn't do it justice.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions