Personal View site logo
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yeah, it has to be truly collaborative and regularly updated with compelling content. Otherwise it would be pointless.

@kong It will explore those themes but that's not all. stowawayfilm.com sounds good.

@Kihlian Will take a look at those the moment I have a computer at hand.

• On the other hand, what do you guys think about setting up a decent production blog?

I really hope that it'll be personal view collaboration project.

Not longest ever stall ending in never updated blog.

• +1 for stowawayfilm.com any idea for the graphics? Maybe something blurred? @atticusd successful raised kickstarter products have a good intro video, and a little bit of: I have a dream in my heart ;-) here two links but there are many: http://blog.westaf.org/2012/04/ten-tips-to-help-you-succeed-on.html http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/05/how-to-succeed-or-fail-on-kickstarter/

• @atticusd I see, so it's a story about man vs self (or his imaginary friend) that lead to self-discovery?

It's a great idea about the blog. I can make a simple website with accounts logins for those involve with the project can post content to it. I looked up the domain stowawaymovie.com but it's already taken. stowawayfilm.com is available though.

• @kong Holly saying: “I’m not that different from you” can mean anything. It’s supposed to be ambiguous. If you were to ask me, I would say that she has no supernatural abilities of any kind, but a member of the audience may think something different. It doesn’t matter, it’s up to the viewer to choose what to believe. In some regards, this is a story about loneliness. For all he knows, Peter is the only one of his kind. He’s also amnesic and has an imaginary, whiny, sarcastic fellow as his best and only friend. You can get lonelier than that.

On the other hand, what do you guys think about setting up a decent production blog?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Ok sir, I will try to make better sentences.

@thepalalias All these are already there in that wiki page i believe. i didn't mentioned anything new yar. Most of our members are elder than me and off course they are experienced hands.

One More Advice, Personal one, but, essential for every dslr Cinematographers.

Photography is the best way to learn professional Cinematography.

Always take a shot with Photographic Golden Rule "The Traingle". Shoot your film after mastering the Triangle of Exposure. use this Triangle formula in every shot.

Following this triangle is the best way to get perfect exposure. Light is everything. If light is not perfect nothing is gonna be.

Exposure-Triangle.jpg
    480 x 364 - 90K
    ExposureTriangle_thumb.jpg
    401 x 368 - 31K
  • @Kihlian I'm sure there will be tons of opportunities either here or later on in the feature to put those nice tracking skills to work. But now, we are talking about a few T-shirts, maybe a cap, a balloon,... It’s just not worth the hassle.

@all One thing that we can start doing soon is a nice designed blog about the project. If done the right way, it will bring attention to the movies and keep people interested. On tumblr is quite easy to make something visually compelling.

@sansadez @Kihlian @kong Let’s do that Kickstarter campaign unless someone is not cool with the idea.

• Sorry guys I'm going on vacation the next two weeks, cya afterwards.

• I agree with @Kihlian, I'm having a bit of concern with the idea of tracking over clothing. I think it would be best to use real clothes with the text on it. It's been a while since I last got a custom shirt made, but from what I remember, it's not too expensive. I don't know how the availability is for everyone else based on their location, but I know here in L.A./O.C there a plenty of stores that offer it. Depending on the size of each team, it should be a manageable cost to split. I also agree with @kong idea of offering them on Kickstarter. @thepalalias I like what you have in mind for the score. From what you described, should be great.

• I find @kong idea´s of offering a T-Shirt on Kickstarter nice too; we are here to put ideas together and pick out the best (brain storming). Back on tracking, if we make it this way, it has to be made in other way, because it´s not possible to recreate the folds of a cloth, if it stay straight over there will look stupid IMO. I´m sure you all have see some examples in other films, the write (or balloon or whatever) follows the character but outside him.

• @thepalalias You’re right man, no director should wait for approval on their shot lists. I’m sure everyone here want them to have an independent voice.

It also seems that we are on the same track score-wise. Nothing more to say in that regard.

@Kihlian Some nice tracking examples there. Yeah, those texts are integrated, alright. But I would need to see some clothing examples to feel completely confortable with the idea. You see, I’m kind of an “analogue” person myself and it would only be a few bucks for each crew to buy some real clothes. If we split it between everyone involved in the project it would be almost nothing. Please, don’t take offence. I seriously appreciate your offer and the effort you’re willing to put on this. If we needed tons of apparel it would be a completely different matter. Also, if you guys want to get creative with Randall's "identity plates" feel free to do so. It doesn't have to alway be T-shirts or caps, it can be a balloon, a protesting sign, etc.

@kong As Per said, it doesn't sound ungrateful at all. You should speak your mind. It's the only way that this project will succeed: Everyone of us should put their very best into this and that includes disagreeing when you see something you are not completely confortable with. Having said that, when the story was initially pitched, it was clear that it would be about a person with an extraordinary gift (or curse) trying to live an ordinary life. There will be some action in the feature but only the exact amount necessary to stay true to the characters.

@rajamalik Great pieces of advice! Thanks! That's something we DSLRs shooters often forget: Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot and then some more!

• @kong Thanks! It does not seem ungrateful at all. :) I do not think we want to go the action route, but things can be done to highlight the conflict. The way I read it (personally) there is a ton of conflict in there already, but if it is not clear in the readthrough, then that should be valuated (or evaluated as it were). Also, great idea about the t-shirts.

@rajamalik Lots of good advice to keep in mind, thanks. :)

• @rajamalik

Remember about capital letters and no "....." please.

• @thepalalias this is a very good thread. it will be very useful if people just open up their own experience and techniques in gh2 commercial / featured film making.

I read the wiki link. everything is there, what else i can say.hmm ok.

Don't go for No_Budget, spend at least $100.

This will give you more responsibility and motivation to make your film towards perfect. off course perfection is not a easy goal, but we should have something to motivate, push, sometimes force,ha ha,.

Test ! Test and Test before you do serious production.

practice with gh2 as much as possible. every patch is different.every mode, profile and lens is different.test all of them what you have. get the result out of the stuff you have.

don't rush in the shooting spot.keep it all slow and steady, you need result take your time.

most dslr film makers has a challenge in this areas, follow focus, exposure, rolling shutter, motion blur and so on. keep it slow and steady take until you get that perfect shot.if its error change your shot style and try.. try different possible angle for the same take. make sure you have enough resource(good takes) for editing after your shoot everyday.check be slow do well.

Choose the rite NLE software for you.

people speculate which is the best. i usually stick to what i know very well. if you are a master in adobe premiere keep it work with it. don't jump to fcp. master your NLE and get what you want.

;) thx Vitality. i wont post with lots of full stops here after.

• Great job @AtticusD . I read it earlier today but didn't have time to comment. I agree with @B3Guy that we need to hook the audience so it'll be easier to raise money on Kickstarter. I sense that there is pretty much no conflict in there, no bad guy(s), and doesn't say what Peter is trying to accomplish in this story, which should be included in even a logline to pitch. We are in essence trying to pitch this story to an audience.

In one (or more) scenes we can have bad guys going after them on one of Mark ( I thought it's Peter?) and Holly's date. Mark and Holly fight the bad guys and escape. I can see that it's imply that Holly is a fellow "jumper" when she says she's not that different from Mark, although I wouldn't be surprise if I'm wrong :)

Regarding the text T-shirts, we can include that as gifts for backers of this project on Kickstarter. Initially we would only order what we needed for the trailer. Once we know how many backers we can order more as needed to cover the backers.

I apologize in advance if I come across as ungrateful ****, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here :)

• Thanks @kihlian for volunteering!

Would everyone be okay with that? Was there anyone else that also wanted a shot at that work?

Either way, looks like we may be able to stop worrying about the Randall clothing for now. Do you agree @AtticusD?

• I have experience with motion tracking. I use Blender for this, they are also improving their Tracker next version comes out in August. I could also track the footage. In the video below I show an example, I don´t used it in the final project because the result was not how I expected, however notice the shadow in the text DRUSIAN, and how integrated are the writes with the footage grain etc.

• @B3Guy @AtticusD My vote is that each team come up with their own shot list. They should not need to wait for approval and we do not want every director feeling more like an AD than a director. :) Anyway, if we find that does not work on the prologue, we will know to do a unified shot list in pre-production for the full-length feature.

Everyone: We need a name/time-frame/price (hopefullycredit only, but let us take a look) on the motion tracked graphics. Otherwise each team will need a custom t-shirt before they start shooting. Either way, let us try and have an answer by Tuesday. That good for everyone?

@AtticusD I tend to do subtle underscore and character themes except for action scenes and transitions. The forest scene will have no score and needs good foley. The pub will have no traditional score (though there may be source music for the pub) at least until we get in closer to the characters.

There will be an overall theme for the prologue that plays over the opening credits/title cards and returns over the closing credits. Randall has a short theme that plays the first time he appears on-screen. The score leaves a lot of room to breathe, drawing the audience in to particular moments but giving them a chance to alternate between an objective and subjective experience of the events.

Randall has the most "aggressive" them of the three, for lack of better wording. Holly has a more dynamic and flowing one. Peter has an odd and moddy one, more evocative of an experience or state of mind than of a particular personality trait.

While the score may utilize full orchestra, it will not do the "over-blown romantic-in-your-face-emphasis" that even some of the best composers are occasionally guilty of. See "Anakin and Amidala in a field" in Episode II for an example of what the score will not be doing (and I say that with deference to Williams, whose talent far exceeds my own).

My intent is that the music more often at subtext to the characters rather than emphasize or fight the action.

So that is my current vision for the score - always open to better ideas. :) For the full length feature, I may see if some of my friends (most with AAA game or blockbuster movie credits or a Grammy) want to help, so I do not plan on doing this alone. @johnnym If your themes are better for the movie than what I have so far, rest assured that I will get behind them 100%.

The most important thing is an awesome movie, so I am just doing whatever I can to serve that. If somebody offers something better, I will be ready to jump on that bandwagon instead. :)

• @B3Guy As far as we know, Randall is Peter's best friend and pretty much the only constant in his life. Yeah, those directions are there for a reason. I had to restrain myself to not include more stuff. ;) Thanks, anyway!

@Kihlian No complains on the tracked text idea as long as it looks professional. If we are not able to achieve a seamless result we’d better raised a few bucks for apparel.

@thepalalias It’s really great that we’ll have a proper soundtrack. But let’s let images and performances bear the weight of the story. Even when the music is great, if it’s omnipresent it can be “too much” and end up making the story less powerful.

When I wrote the script I had a clear idea of most of the shots I would use in each scene but that’s actually the call of the directors and cinematographers. Each crew could present his own shot list before the actual shooting starts but only if it doesn’t mean incurring further delays.

• @b3guy Okay, PM me a link to a recording and I will message you if any of the themes end up being appropriate to your style. I have a few people I rely on normally, but I am always happy to hear talented new musicians. :)

• @thepalalias play by ear mostly, or chord charts.

• @sanzadez Will do.

@B3Guy Not sure whether I will need it, but always glad to hear what you play. :) Do you have links up anywhere and do you read classical notation or tabs or prefer to play by ear?

@Kihlian @B3Guy If we have someone ready to go that has experience with the motion tracked text, I would certainly support something more along those lines. Any volunteers/suggestions?

@AtticusD What are your thoughts on shot lists? Also, I had an idea on how to give people a sense of what the trailer arising from the prologue might be like. Should I start mocking that abridged script up after the next edit or before?

• @thepalalias I'm a little busy at the moment. I will give it a read later today and post my thoughts. As for speaking this weekend, I'm sure we can work something out. Feel free to PM me so we can discuss details.

• @thepalalias music? AWESOME! Let me know if you ned a musician. I play Hammond as well as electric and acoustic guitar.

@atticusd of course, I understand that we can go about this any way we like, so the script can certainly include these directions. You have left it pretty open in general, I just wanted to be sure that you were consciously aware of the things that are specified in the script in case they were not there on purpose.

@Kihlian I was also unsure about how the various shirt/cap situations were going to be worked out. If we do all different ones like the script says, then we'll have to buy each one. But if we go with one shirt or cap, we have to pay to ship it to different locations, and it'll hang up shooting for that prop.

Also, is Randall our unifying masked character? Just wondering . . .

• Interesting story. Only one think instead of the cappi or T-shirt with a legend like "I´m his imaginary friend" IMO it´s better to make it with motion tracking. It´s easyer to read for the audience, it´s easyer to shoot, looks more professional. Could also be made with a balloon. (Sorry I didn´t find a better picture)

0.jpg
    480 x 360 - 16K