Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah, Cloud funding. I just think a group owned 50gb dropbox or something like it at under a tenner for the month would be suffice to upload to you or whoever edits the collective clips. Something where we can all upload the original mts files to.
    Also I don't think you should restrict it to just Driftwood patches - it should be open to any hack patch.
  • I'm interested to see if this will work out but I've seen attempts like this several times in forums and it never worked.

As I remember, finding a subject/script is the first hurdle projects like this are likely to fail already.
    Too many people, too many (even if good) ideas during brainstorming and everyone wants his/her ideas to be of relevance which will also be the case for any following assignments of tasks.

Just listing what problems will occur, good luck though!
  • @stip but thats why i ask for a structure on the relevant(developed) ideas,

please!!, :)

if we later make a poll to decide the only idea that it will be made, we can start later to develop the proyect in a more concise way
  • Going off @B3GUY idea of global instability:

Shit hits the fan. EU falls, total freeze on electric money, 2008 times 10 in a moment. We follow in realtime a dozen or so groups from around the world as they find out and figure out what to do.

Maybe a three scene arc per location.
  • Idea and Concept:
    -The world as a small town.
    -Fact: internet people are 3.7 degrees apart.
    -People talk in their own language (lots of subtitles needed)
    -At the end all characters are connected between friends of friends.
    -All filming done the same season. (World Contrast)
    -There is no three act structure. something like Nine Lives structure http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420015/
    -Filming must reflect documentary characteristics of the place but staying away of location cliches/city icons. Wide perspective of the world. Asia, South America, Africa, Oceania, Europe, North America, Anyone at Antartida or in a boat.

Story:
    very important help needed
    I´m brainstorming here
    the simpler the better...
    maybe connected to something in the news and we see each different perspective/ point of view.

Procedure:
    Organize the possible teams and locations.
    (We don´t need 3 cameras on a shot but an assistant, producer, actor, audio, car, is welcome.)
    Depending on how many teams there are available there will be a number of stories/locations.
    Example: If we have 20 teams we could make 4-6 minutes per story.
    Choose an idea or several and join them together and start developing the script, each director with their own location/actor/budged.
    Music could help a lot with the editing. That would be the hardest part, to finish it. Lot a editing time needed. Research needed.

-------------------------
    Its to soon to talk about equipment first we need to see how many willing directors do we have and where are they so we could make working groups, This doesn't mean there could not be a one man project if you live in a place where there are no P-V members, I suppose each one has a personal working group.

I could be a director or assist another one.
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.

• @andres Some great ideas there, and don't worry - we will definitely have music. If I can't find time to handle it myself, some of my colleagues in the game scoring and film scoring industries owe me a few favors. :)

Glad to see we've got a South American shooting opportunity already.
  • @jweeke yes, this touches on something that I was imagining in the back of my head (although in a more general sense drawing out of your particular idea). Each location will obviously have its own distinct characters, with the universal character and his/her purpose being the connection between the different groups. Perhaps they all have different pieces to a puzzle, or perhaps they all have the same problem.

Considering the main character, voice-over would seem the best way to deal with their dialogue, unless of course someone is brilliant enough to create an engaging character without dialogue.

I think before we get too far into the logistics, we need a script. May I suggest that we limit ourselves to development of a good story? I'm more than confident that if we get a good story together, the logistics of shooting, etc. will fall into place quite easily.

I for one live in Minnesota, but I'l be in Los Angeles all of next school semester (January-May approx.), so if we get something going in that timeframe, I can chip in to a California branch if necessary.

Another solution would be to look for a script that is already written that we can fit to this unorthodox approach to production.
  • 2 ideas guys

1- What about having just one script, and all the Directors around the world will shoot his or her version of the same script
    2- No script, just a word such as: Love, Hunger, Crisis, Happiness, Shit, Fear... etc .After we decide which topic we like, each Director will write his or her script and shoot it.
  • @B3Guy I don't see any harm in developing the logistics before the script, because it can help the writer to work within the proper limitations. :)

I think the most important thing is just to take the time to develop the script, rather than getting impatient if it takes a little while.

Anyway, looking forward to your arrival in the L.A. area. If you're ever in the Pasadena/Eagle Rock area, feel free to drop me a line.
  • @Aksel Definitely a cool idea, but it feels almost like it deserves another project all of its own. :)

I got the impression (and I might be way off base) that several people wanted to create something with an arc and form of direct continuity, as opposed to a thematic relationship.

At the same time, a project like the one you described would be a great way to showcase the creativity and individuality of each director. Maybe it could be a festival/contest idea that people could work on after the current project?
  • Decide on a maximum time length for the film, remember that there could be a lot of people wanting to take part. We had around 26 people on the showreel; how many slots are you willing to give? Is it first come /first served basis?
    As soon as you simplify it, the process will become easier and the overall direction, theme, script, edit, etc... will be workable.
  • Yes, what sort of length does everyone have in mind?

I feel like the maximum marketable length is about 96 minutes, but people are more likely to watch it the shorter it is.

With 26 teams, 96 minutes would add up to 3.6 minutes per team. This seems like less than most people would want. How long did people want for their "section"? I was guessing about 5-6 minutes.

If each team got 6 minutes, and we were doing 96 minutes, that would mean we had 16 slots.

Given that people in the same geographic area might be up for collaborating, that seems like a reasonable starting point.

Also, so far we have at least 3 continents confirmed (Europe, North America and South America).

What does everyone think the max running time should (max as opposed to "ideal")? Does 16 slots sound like enough to include all the people that want to get involved?
  • @lolo I hope you don't mind if I add to the asset list bit by bit instead of all at once.

- Southern California (and depending on time of year, occasional stints in Oregon and Washington state).
    - Manpower assets include several singers, composers, writers, etc. that owe me favors or would like to be involved.
    - Personally up for scoring/providing music, camera operator, DP, director/assistant director, producer, consultant, etc. Basically, if someone else has a team nearby and wants help, ask and I'll see if I can help complete the equation. :)
  • @driftwood how do we apply?

I am in Chicago

I will be very happy to be part of this project. to Direct or help another Director.
  • @Aksel "how do we apply?"

You just did. I think everyone would love to have you involved. :)
  • @thepalalias Thanks
    I just erased all that info.I thought it was weird.
    Sorry
  • @Aksel Nothing to be sorry about - it's cool. :)
  • @thepalalias @everyone

Re: minutes and amount of teams - there could maybe be 20 teams x 5 minutes. 100 minutes of footage which will give the editor a bit of leeway when it comes to editing. Maybe 22 teams - 110 minutes - which can be edited down to 96 or thereabouts. Of course each team also do their share in pre-editing.

I can assemble an "offline" team - there are no PV members from northern Sweden as far as I know.
  • I'm living in Spain right now and I will stay here for some more months. I know some people who can act without much direction and that will be glad to help. I'm more than willing to direct a segment or help another director. It's been less than a day since I first saw the comment of @B3Guy in the other thread but I already want really really badly to see this movie made. I couldn't care less if one of my ideas get picked or not. I just want us to make this movie.
  • I'd like to help. I live in Italy (Firenze) and i have a my own crew. I could do some editing or grading if we go to fictional or i can provide some footages. I'm a director, if you need some kind of coordination, it's ok.
    We should decide standard things like film modes, color profiles, kind of illumination, isos, camera movement styles or the graders could go crazy :P
  • @Elenion
    >We should decide standard things like film modes, color profiles, kind of illumination, isos, camera movement styles or the graders could go crazy :P

I couldn't agree more.
  • Awesome idea. I'd like to help with shooting, editing and can get a small crew to join. I'm in Germany with friends in Los Angeles, Denmark & France. I can donate time, ideas, gear and a few $
  • @ALL

Please before posting read the headed of the first post

GUIDELINES!
    PLEASE FOLLOW THIS EASY GUIDELINES TO POST IN THIS THREAD!

and follow those guidelines please! :), otherwise this thread will become a mess!, please!,
  • updated,

@all
    please review the first post looking for possible mistakes or improvements
  • @LOLO
    wa-wait i'm not a grader and i can't provide grading! Just editing, directing and footages!