Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @eyefi

If you convert to a lossless still image format (e.g., tif), Resolve can apparently import the footage, but that's far from ideal. The Avid DNxHD codec is free, but uses the .mov wrapper, which Resolve won't accept (it wants mfx).

• @jrd I dont quite understand where you are coming from, I havent even hacked my GH2 yet but what I'm saying is that I dont think I can handle (nor do i want) extremely high bitrates.

• @GH2_fan, i guess @jrd was answering my question, although it doesn't really answer it, but thanks for the info anyway.

• @lumixuser , yeah, I'm digging the lowlight abilities of Sedna AQ1!!

2500iso

Screen shot 2012-03-31 at 10.10.15 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 1M
  • @GH2_fan

Sorry, I meant @eyefi, though as he points out, I didn't quite answer his question either.

• Oh okay :(

Anyone at all may I ask? Driftwood???

• @GH2_fan Why not change the bitrate numbers to suit you? I have no idea how to change the CBR thing or not, but plug some slightly lower numbers in and test it out. This is half the fun.

• Ohhh, I didnt know that was possible, as Is aid I've never done this before and I dont quite know how to do it as well :(

Is it as simple as typing in 50 and 100 for it to be be those bitrates exactly???

The CBR thing is something I still intend, however why was this ever brought up? As in, did people really see this being benificial, I dont doubt it, in theory I thought it would but I would like to know what others thought of it.

• Old school...

• @GH2_fan I'm getting less than 50Mbps from Sedna B at 1080p25 and some 80mbps at 720p50.

• @allenswrench The problem is not that the HDMI puts out 1080. That's well know. Tristan problem is that as soon as he plug the HDMI cable he is unable to record 720p on the card.

• Shot some slow-motion martial arts footage (Muay Thai) today using 50P and 60P modes on Mysteron using a Canon 24-70mm L and Rokinon 58mm f/1.4 (both set to f2.8). Our head coach asked us not to post anything at the end (since the 16 matches were all intra-mural exhibition) but I am looking forward to analyzing the footage and sharing my observations at least.

It is times like these that I really wish it were easier to get the GH2 to sync to lighting refresh rates because I could not shoot at as high shutter speeds as I would outdoors, due to the out-of-sync artifacts from the lights.

• @LumixUser Hey! What mode are you shooting in with those settings?

• @Tristan Just did a quick test with my GH2 and my monitor. Sorry about the quality, had to use my iphone to record, hah. But yeah, take a look, the moment I plugged in my monitor, it switched from SH to FH. It has done this even before I hacked my camera, so it isn't the result of the hack.

• @itimjim Yep, it's nostalgic with these settings: -2+2+1-1 @jrd Yeah, I used to have problems with that but now I downloaded the trail version of GoPro Cineform Studio Premium and converted it from mts to Cineform MOV.

• phew guys, I lost completely overview to hacks, bitrates, matrices, Intra, GOP etc.. Would anybody be so kind and explain what Mysterium is? Advantages / disadvantages? Thanks in advance [no April Fool's joke please ;-)]

• @davidhjlindberg

I'm looking at the Resolve 8.2 supported codecs for Windows, and don't see any Cineform codecs..... What exactly did you do?

@eyefi - Resolve does support several varieties of YUV and RGB uncompressed.

• @driftwood, @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @onionbrain and everybody,

I've just tried Mysteron in Standard and Nostalgic, both with -2-2-2-2 and now I got only one question - where the FU... has all the noise gone :-) ?

Even Nostalgic mode (that has the greatest dynamic range GH2 can achieve, but this "range" was with an ass-load of noise) is now PERFECT!!! Only nice grain !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick, Vitaliy, Thank you SO much!

In Russia we say (Vitaliy knows) - it's bad when you don't have a choice and it's much worse when you do! :-)

Nick, stop making your great patches! :-)

This is no April Fool's joke !!!!!!!!!!!

• @MikhailK I agree about the noise. The moonshot I posted is always a guarantee for noise and it just isn't there. I've tried not to like this patch because I didn't want to switch, but so far, I can't find anything to NOT like. I even took some shots I botched and they worked out fairly well in post.

• @LumixUser I'd love to know your setup, cause i think your images look splendid.

@davidhjlindberg Superb grading there!

• Not just noise, but the green cast, where is it ? Much improved on the few shots I've taken.

• @peternap What ISO have you used for the moonshot?

• Hi There,

I am using Driftwood Quantum X Rocket V3B, I find the image quality really stunning. (Better than Motion Flow that I used before) However I had several card errors (on 16 Go Sandisk Extreme Class 10 - 30 Mo/sec) and no error on Extreme Pro 95 Mo/sec.

2 questions : - If you have tried both, Do you think Orion is more reliable than Rocket ? - is 45 Mo/sec minimum transfert speed for Quantum X Series ?

Thanks for sharing your experience (and special thanks to Vitaliy, Driftwood)

• @peternap Thanks, tried Mysteron very shortly but don´t liked it very much at 50p, maybe I give it another try..

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions