Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @davidhjlindberg

I'm looking at the Resolve 8.2 supported codecs for Windows, and don't see any Cineform codecs..... What exactly did you do?

@eyefi - Resolve does support several varieties of YUV and RGB uncompressed.

• phew guys, I lost completely overview to hacks, bitrates, matrices, Intra, GOP etc.. Would anybody be so kind and explain what Mysterium is? Advantages / disadvantages? Thanks in advance [no April Fool's joke please ;-)]

• @itimjim Yep, it's nostalgic with these settings: -2+2+1-1 @jrd Yeah, I used to have problems with that but now I downloaded the trail version of GoPro Cineform Studio Premium and converted it from mts to Cineform MOV.

• @Tristan Just did a quick test with my GH2 and my monitor. Sorry about the quality, had to use my iphone to record, hah. But yeah, take a look, the moment I plugged in my monitor, it switched from SH to FH. It has done this even before I hacked my camera, so it isn't the result of the hack.

• @LumixUser Hey! What mode are you shooting in with those settings?

• Shot some slow-motion martial arts footage (Muay Thai) today using 50P and 60P modes on Mysteron using a Canon 24-70mm L and Rokinon 58mm f/1.4 (both set to f2.8). Our head coach asked us not to post anything at the end (since the 16 matches were all intra-mural exhibition) but I am looking forward to analyzing the footage and sharing my observations at least.

It is times like these that I really wish it were easier to get the GH2 to sync to lighting refresh rates because I could not shoot at as high shutter speeds as I would outdoors, due to the out-of-sync artifacts from the lights.

• @allenswrench The problem is not that the HDMI puts out 1080. That's well know. Tristan problem is that as soon as he plug the HDMI cable he is unable to record 720p on the card.

• @GH2_fan I'm getting less than 50Mbps from Sedna B at 1080p25 and some 80mbps at 720p50.

• Old school...

• Ohhh, I didnt know that was possible, as Is aid I've never done this before and I dont quite know how to do it as well :(

Is it as simple as typing in 50 and 100 for it to be be those bitrates exactly???

The CBR thing is something I still intend, however why was this ever brought up? As in, did people really see this being benificial, I dont doubt it, in theory I thought it would but I would like to know what others thought of it.

• @GH2_fan Why not change the bitrate numbers to suit you? I have no idea how to change the CBR thing or not, but plug some slightly lower numbers in and test it out. This is half the fun.

• Oh okay :(

Anyone at all may I ask? Driftwood???

• @GH2_fan

Sorry, I meant @eyefi, though as he points out, I didn't quite answer his question either.

• @lumixuser , yeah, I'm digging the lowlight abilities of Sedna AQ1!!

2500iso

Screen shot 2012-03-31 at 10.10.15 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 1M
  • @GH2_fan, i guess @jrd was answering my question, although it doesn't really answer it, but thanks for the info anyway.

• @jrd I dont quite understand where you are coming from, I havent even hacked my GH2 yet but what I'm saying is that I dont think I can handle (nor do i want) extremely high bitrates.

• @eyefi

If you convert to a lossless still image format (e.g., tif), Resolve can apparently import the footage, but that's far from ideal. The Avid DNxHD codec is free, but uses the .mov wrapper, which Resolve won't accept (it wants mfx).

• Hi everyone (again), I was just wondering, is it possible to have Driftwood Sedna Q20 at 50/100Mbpsas a CBR?

Or if someone can make it??? I really dont think I can be able to handle 154Mbps.

• @jrd, @davidhjlindberg, would converting to uncompressed YUV 10bit from mts on premiere, preserve the video in the YCbCr format? and would grading in Resolve be done in YUV instead of converting to RGB if you ingest the Uncompressed YUV 10bit file?

• @tristan @itimjim if you search through the old threads you will see that tristan is right. Someone from Norway even got an official response from Panasonic (if your own tests are not enough) that there is no 720p out the HDMI while recording. I was also furious for the misleading menu "option" to select it, only to find your footage in 2005-style interlaced video! It is intentionally disabled. I need an external monitor as I can't pull focus on the GH2's small dispaly (and very few people can), so I just don't use 720p at all anymore - just imagine the workflow! Even if you focus one point, you surelly could not PULL once you unplug the cable-ridiculous!

• @davidhjlindberg

How did you get your footage into Resolve? Easy enough on the Mac with ProRes, but I think you were asking not long ago how do it on Windows(?) Did you find a way?

• @tristan are you sure you aren't doing something wrong?

I only ask that, as you are the first person I've heard report the camera switching to 1080i internal recording to SD when video monitoring through HDMI. Also, from my own experience I've not seen this (although I've yet to try Sedna yet).

• @lumixuser @bannedindv @nomad @rafa

Thanks for the info. sad i didn't realize that before the shoot.

I knew about the Ex Tele mode and focus assist not working with the HDMI plugged in. Those are pretty obvious because when you try them they just don't work. Recording to the SD card is really different, there is no indication that the camera isn't doing what it's set to be doing.

So far I've been super happy with this camera, but that's just maddening to the point of absurdity. There's even a setting to select either 1080i or 720p or auto for going OUT the HDMI monitor. I had it set on auto originally, and tried 720p later, but still when recording to the card it was 1080i footage. And why 1080i? why not at least 1080p?

For our shoot, we have had the camera on a jib, and it would be incredibly difficult to shoot without having a monitor at the other end. If anyone knows a solution for this, I would LOVE to hear it.

@thepalalias this happens when I'm recording to the SD card and plug in a viewfinder into the HDMI port.

@sandzadez the camera does NOT indicate a switch from SH/H to FSH/FH, it just says SH/H the whole time, whether HDMI is plugged in or not.

• @SystemD, mercie bocoup, @xav25 ''Hey les Montrealais on se tournent un short?" c'est une bonne idée, voici mon courriel si jamais on veut se mettre en contact pablopugliese1@gmail.com

• @driftwood thank you so much sir,...today i took mysteron out for a long indoor test in a shopping mall,....amazing results,...mysteron wins everything especially in post production exposure and other adjustments,...i got a bunch of super sensitive video now,...very very sensitive in post production,...so useful and i set my magic bullet looks exposure to +90 stops ....still it works and spreaded the light evenly well and good without any highlighted patch,...what did u do to mysteron sir?? i tried from quantum 9 to sedna almost all high bitrate patches,...but none responded this way,...the name mysteron matches this patch we can also call this patch as the "magicia" sincere thanks and credits to @Vitality and @driftwood ( i started uploading my video will take another 9 hours)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions