Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @rajamalik What @Rambo said is fine if you are talking about web delivery, etc. But if you are talking about your digital master, you want to use either a lossless or visually lossless format.

Cineform is visually lossless (in other words, not mathmatically lossless but you do not see the difference) and what I use most often. Then there options like UT Codec that literally are lossless but take up more space. On the PC side, those are the two codecs I use the most for digital intermediates and digital masters, because they are two of the fastest options to playback for what they are (on a PC).

Note that Cineform plays nicer with Macs than UT codec. If you have not downloaded GoPro Studio yet, it is free (and you should try it unless you already have NeoScene).

• @proaudio4 Thank you! These Sedna settings seems to handle detail and color very nice...

• Congratulations @LumixUser can't wait to see them :)

• @thepalalias @Oedipax The good thing is that you can change the time-base in 5DtoRGB, but if you need the same clip in two speeds (p25&p50 or p30&p60) you need to convert twice in 5DtoRGB. One time for each speed. That's a waist of time when working with a lot of stuff. CinemaTools is much faster.

Obviously this is a bug and should be addressed by the people at 5DtoRGB. They told me that "they don't know why but CinemaTools do not like their prores files".

@xavieramelio with FCPX you miss the more important 5DtoRGB feature that is the chroma interpolation. The batch version should work better. We have paid for it.

@jhero You wrote "Or, you can use version 1.5.3b + script". The free version was designed for Canon stuf (this is why the app is call 5D), and doesn't let you select the color matrix. The color matrix for the canon is different than the GH2 color matrix. So with the free version probably you are applying the wrong color matrix on conversion.

• @Rafa Could the color matrix have something to do with the reason that 5dtorgb seems to darken the image a bit even when gamma is set to none.

• @Rafa hmm, I applied 709, it looks fine to me!

• @liquidify I haven't make any test (I'll do and post), but I guess yes. Both matrix use very different coefficient to convert RGB to YUV or back

The CCIR 609 is the traditional used since the beginning of the TV technology (SD); Y' = 0.299 R' + 0.587 G' + 0.114 B'). The CCIR 709 is the lately one adopted for HD: Y' = 0.2126 R' + 0.7152 G' + 0.0722 B').

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luma_(video)#Rec._601_luma_versus_Rec._709_luma_coefficients

@jhero That's the correct one for the GH2. For the Canon the 601.

• thepalalias i installed cineform but how will i get cineform in mov type with 4:2:2 master setting in vegas,...will you send me the setting which matches sedna A bitrate?? i just want a audio and video lossless master out of it,..i did found cineform hd option in quicktime templete which has lots of options to set with,..will u help me with it?

• @thepalalias i installed cineform but how will i get cineform in mov type with 4:2:2 master setting in vegas,...will you send me the setting which matches sedna A bitrate?? i just want a audio and video lossless master out of it,..i did found cineform hd option in quicktime templete which has lots of options to set with,..will u help me with it?

• @LumixUser congrats!!!

do these patches touch or change still images too or is it only for video files?

• Rajamalik, you can only export cineform in avi format out of Sony Vegas, it is 4:2:2 by default. In render window select video for windows (avi), select default template as uncompressed, select custom, video format cineform, select configure, select the encoding quality (i use high), leave everything else as default unless you need to change colorspace. Render out video.

None of this is related to the driftwood hack so you should be asking this in Cineform or Vegas threads.

• Sedna AAQ1 Full test (including audio hack beta 1 test)

• @peaceonearth The patches do not affect the stills at all. They affect Audio and Video only.

• @Rambo k i will try that,..thank you

• Tried Driftwood B Pictoric v5c and it looks great in 24p! Spans flawlessly on my Sandisk 45MB/s 32GB card.

However... 30p does not look right - camera motion results in trails/ghosting?

• @driftwood Hey Nick, you disappeared. Is everything all right?

• Has anyone compared β Pictoris to Cluster v1?

• @dbp Yes, I believe I did back in my first comparison the 2nd thread on this topic, and possibly in others. Since Cluster v1 is not intra, you can notice a difference in shadow noise patterns fairly easily if you zoom in, as if the movement is updated at a lower frequency. The difference can be emphasized by increasing contrast in post for the two files to make it easier to see.

• *** LaTeSt nEwS **** Still working on wiki, Canis Majoris and Cluster v2... done when its done. Been very busy on a video shoot to spend all my time on settings (though many hours research has been conducted) :-)

• Glad to hear you're working on the wiki, Nick @Driftwood . I believe it might raise an army of helping hands. :)

• so @LumixUser is @PerryWilson ? Crust = Perry Wilson, no ?

• @Driftwood Making a living is a good thing - I think we would all worry if you spent all your time on the patches we use. :)

I look forward to testing the new ones, whenever they are done.

• @Rambo @thepalalias its writing a error license error 444 in the center of the video screenwhen played after render,...cineform rgb 444 export from vegas 11 pro

• @driftwod is it better to edit directly with mts files or i should better convert it to cine form or other rgb 422 to get well in post???

• Tested Sedna B today with the 95mb card. I'm getting card speed errors in 720 with the Tele ext on. 1080-24 is fine on or off but neither spans.

This is 1080-24 tele ext off Nikkor 24mm 2.8 lens with CP. Shutter 50 f8

720-60 looks just as good but I haven't tested it with a lot of motion yet.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions