Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @rajamalik That is because 4:4:4 mode is only in the more expensive version. I use 4:2:2 (and the GH2 writes 4:2:0).

Looking forward to viewing your test later today when I am at a computer instead of the phone.

• @driftwood Slow Down! We can wait!

• @thepalalias 4:2:2 is not rgb is it fine?? filem scan 2 or film scan 1?? i will upload 1080p version of my video 720p seems little awkward

• @driftwood release Canis Majoris slowly no problem sir,..but explain what it is to us,..cant wait to what what exactly it does better than Sedna patches???

• Rajamailk, filmscan is overkill unless you want to dozens of generations out of Vegas, just use HIGh in it's default settings and don't change to 4:4:4, it 's unlicensed and only useful for up spacing 422 to 444 not 420. Converting to cineform 4:2:2 will allow you push the grade a little more than 420. Filmscan 4:4:4 was designed for 2k footage (larger than HD) and to preserve film grain,it's bitrates will be double the high setting and be of no advantage in GH2 footage.

• Canis Majoris is a larger look into deblocking as earlier mentioned.

• Is there any downside to using a Variable ND filter?

• Well, since it is made of two polarizers, you can get the same side effects, like colored patterns on windshields or suppression of reflections where you want to see them.

• @driftwood already loving results from the past patches. Fired "Rocket" on a job on the weekend. An error free 2 days of shooting in HBR with the 32 & 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95mbps) - but no real long record times over a few minutes each. Went with it as i'd seen and knew the results i'd get from it with HBR 25p. Haven't really compared much of Sedna, Orion or other settings for 25p - I think there's a thread around on that so going to have to go read it.

• VariND > downside, skin tone suffers, faces becomes flatter.

• Vari-ND possible green casting and ghosting due to their being multiple layers of glass. when shooting in extreme sunlight or directly towards sunlight.

• I have the Light Craft ND Mark II filter. It looks OK. It certainly beats stopping down all the time and increasing shutter speed. You really need this to maintain your SS an fstop. Out of what was mentioned above, not so bad > but if you're focusing on the tele end of a 140mm lens, it can go soft on you.

Now having said that, I'd like to get the Heliopan. I've heard it's fucking great.

• @driftwood I tried Dark Matter last week on a wedding, but something went wrong. I used Sandisk 64Gb 95Mb/s card with 24p settings. I have half of the files transcoded with Log and Transfer on FCP, but when it came to the middle it said stream error. I tried to copy the remaining files to another folder on the hard drive, but it won't allow me to copy them, I can see the files in the card and on the thumbnail images, they wouldn't play. There are some important footages there. Is there any solution?

• i shoot pictoris 25p hbr and i´m having problems transcoding the long takes with 5dtorgb (free version) just 10-15 frames before the end it stops short takes go ok! evrything looks fine on VLC Do you have any idea about the cause of this? thanks

• As I drunkenly chuckled again with my other half as we watched a film tonight - and recounted how Chris Nolan annoyed her for years with his short films begging for free time at CTV - and reminded her as we watched Inception how it's not about tech just about dogged determination - go out and shoot some shit! PS he was annoying!

• Sedna AQ1 looks good (correction, very good). For giggles and shits, I attached these two images. One at -1 stop under exposed (ISO160), the other over by almost one stop (ISO320). Dynamic 0, 0,-2, 0 : 20mm f/1.7

-1 stop under exp.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    0.5 stop over exp.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • I resolved the problem with SD card not being read by Mac - or some of the card's files. Here is the solution - http://www.macyourself.com/2010/01/07/solution-to-finder-error-code-36-in-10-6-when-copying-folders/

• I'm curious if anyone has done any skin tone tests? From my experience with Sedna matrix, I find cinema has the truest representation (at least over standard). It almost seems to remove any 'baked in' look

• Hey guys. Here is my first run for Sedna "AQ1 Highest overall bitrate" for a Save the date video for a couple. A lot of people are asking about the ND Fader/Variable ND filters. And at first I was skeptical too. I filmed in Standard -2/0/-2/-2. I can tell you this, you dont have to worry as much about the ND fader degrading quality if you choose the right one. I got the Cameron 1-8 stop. And its pretty good. If I could, I would have switched the sharpness maybe to +1 just to add to the natural softness of bright light. So if you wanna see how useful it is, look at my video as I used it as an alternative to the Iris when i moved indoors. I kept my aperture at 1.4 and 2.8 for the whole day because I wanted the shallowest depth of field i can get. So thinking of it i really do wish i pushed the sharpness to +1.

Another tip filming in the dark, dont fear pushing your iso to 800 or 1000. Totally worth it in my opinion. It was so hard to correct and grade the colors when it was underexposed and had the wrong white balance. I did a lot of power windows to fix things in some scenes.

• @rubefink Is there any downside to using a Variable ND filter?

as its a double polarizer it shows all what polarizer show: multilayer glass and acrylic material show (rainbow) streaks or cloudy flaw. Be carefull and check in detail when you shoot car windows especially in detail and/or static.

• Guys, it's getting really hard to follow this, even without any OT about filming. ;-|

• Stanleymanly2, i know you said you under exposed and WB was off, but if i had to learn something from your video when shooting people reasonably close range, that would be expose for the faces, forget everything else. Especially when shooting with VariND, as it kills skin tone luminance. Of course that maybe the look your after, that i don't know. Cheers Mate.

BTW, i did the same thing on a Wedding shoot once (underexposed/WB off badly) and it was a horror to resurrect, so i understand what you faced in edit. Actually i used Magic Bullet Looks to rescue me/disguise it, thankfully the client loved it...phew..... that's why i admire wedding shooters so much.

• @RanBo you can turn your WB Off? @stanlymanly2 Great Work! i wanted to know the same about the filters thanks for the tip and what WB did you use that work for you?

• @Rambo thats probably why i had a hard time correcting the skin tones. thanks for that tip. I was aiming for the nostalgic 16mm feel. its always been my favorite type of tone. So i hope it turned out right.

@Tifose being a full manual shooter i do kelvin white balance. that day i shot it cool over warm as it was super sunny.

• @Tifose > you can turn WB off?? .....haha no mate, off, as in "off color". Probably "WB was incorrect" might have been a better description. Or as we say here in OZ, ""off like a prawn in a midday sun' :-)

Got special shoot tomorrow, Driftwood Cluster is loaded, sun will be shining and the bikini models are booked to be at the beach on the Gold Coast around midday. No trees or charts for me.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions