Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Just a simple test from last week on Sedna AQ1 B. I believe this was jpeg 1080p, but I don't have a plus account so it is 720 on vimeo. Naturally the full video is much more impressive, but I think Vimeo shows well the clarity of the palms even though they are rattling away, and I really like the tones on the two trees in the background. My two cents on the sudo debate going on in this thread is that Sedna beats Orion, but since I am still waiting on my 95mb/s card, I am back to Orion at the moment since it was a bit too challenging for my taste to work with the 30 mb/s Sandisk card and Sedna. SEDNA IS GREAT THOUGH and I look forward to getting back to it, or whatever looks best when my card arrives.

• @exilenorth,

Something like that, he could probably afford it! Look forward to seeing your ISO1600 footage, haven't tested above ISO800.

All the best Sam

• Here's a promo I shot with Sedna A! Only used 60p and it worked out well! Thanks Nick :)

• @Disdausdebil , damn, looking very nice. What lens did you use for that?

• @Disdausdebil, great work. Amazing that even 720p the Hacked GH2 looks sharper than the 5D MkIII even after sharpening in post.

• @jamesgh2 "great work. Amazing that even 720p the Hacked GH2 looks sharper than the 5D MkIII even after sharpening in post."

+1

I'm also willing to bet than the GH2's 720p mode might actually be the best of ANY camera right now. I'd like to see a battle of the 60fps 720p modes!!!

• *** Latest News *** Canis Majoris & Cluster v2 being tested and finalised on ptools 3.65d.

• Thanks driftwood!!!

• n.i.c.e.

• Some shots using Sedna

• @L1N3ARX Looks good! Tell me, was he on crack for that shot? lol

• @driftwood

"Canis Majoris & Cluster v2 being tested and finalised on ptools 3.65d."

You just made my night bro. Is it using Senda AQ1 matrix, Canis Majoris that is?

• @proaudio4, haha, that was actually me. I just sat close to the camera resting on a tripod and used the lcd to focus on myself. But yeah, I can do a pretty good 'crack addict' impression when I have to :)

• I'm not super methodical tester. First time I took the GH2 as an A-Cam .. it's cluster v1. This is my most common 'real world' situation .. It works .. and I'm happy

It's the time somebody forgot to cahnmge the card

Thanks Vitaliy and Driftwood

• @mee wow too bad...I love robots :D we sure could have done something like that...If you sometimes come to Nagoya in the next 2 months I'll be there though...I might also go to Tokyo Disney my Kanojo wants to go.

• hey i'll be posting a comparison video between my friend's r3d EPIC and driftwood's gh2 sedna q1 hack. we're planning a feature and wondering if it'd b better to shoot on 3 gh2's or one EPIC.

first impressions were that the r3d footage made the gh2 footage look like I'd turned my contrast all the way up in the gh2 I couldn't believe how contrasty the gh2 footage looked in comparison. and I used smooth -2,-2,-2,-2

anyone have any experience using an ultra con filter to flatten the gh2 image?

also, noise @ 320 in the darks on the gh2 was pretty bad. about 2 times worse than the epic. maybe it was the iso bug we'll have to test again. or maybe i need to turn noise reduction up it was pretty much a dealbreaker as far as planning to use the current gh2 to make the feature

good news was sharpness was on par with the 5k image. In fact, I actually added sharpness to the epic footage to match the gh2.

is there anyway to flatten out the gh2 in the matrix?

• Unfortunately not, nothing beats RAW. The Epic simply has much more dynamic range, and even if the GH2 had the same, it couldn't record it properly in only 8 bit. But if your final product will be shown in 1080, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't shoot very critical lighting situations or slo-mos with the Epic and still use GH2s as B or C cameras. But you'll ned to get lighting and contrast as close to your intended look as possible on the GH2s and grade to Epic to match it.

• turns out my friends monitor was exaggerating the difference between the cameras. I color corrected, sharpened and denoised the clips to match each other. Check out the vid and let me know which u think is which:

• @woodybrando The first one is sharper, so I am guessing it is GH2.

• @woodybrando u shld mention it in the video which is gh2 and which patch u have used???? dont confuse us

• @woodybrando i don t this red epic was used in this video,..i am pretty sure too,..from a very know cinematographer,...he said both of them are some dslr,.. no epic at all

• @woodybrando I think the first is the GH2 because I see aliasing on the rim of his glasses.

• @driftwood "*** Latest News *** Canis Majoris & Cluster v2 being tested and finalised on ptools 3.65d."

Can I get an Hallelujah!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions