Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Have a look at a little 1 min doco for a competition I have entered. Shot on GH2 with Mysteron patch. Picture quality is great although of course Vimeo reduces it. Download original MP4 for Full HD version. Only problem spanning failed with my card as I knew it would. Was buttoning on and off when interviewing. However if you do go over the 4 min mark and recording stops card can't be read in FCPX. You can transcode outside but it corrupts the file structure so it doesn't see it as a camera archive.

• @Driftwood and all....

I think there are HDMI problems with the Sedna settings and was wondering if anyone else experienced them.

This was my first attempt at hacking the camera. I wanted to wait until it seemed stable with the new firmware. I did several Sedna 720p tests last weekend getting ready for an industrial video Wednesday through Friday. We wanted to do a lot of slowmo, which I hadn't done on the GH2. In my tests the footage was completely amazing. I was blown away. I looked at streamparser and verified I was getting what I should have been, plus did some slow motion tests in Premiere CS5.5.

I was pumpped and we went and shot all day Wednesday excited about what we were going to get. When we had a chance to review the footage Thursday however, we noticed that it was all 1080i!

I checked my settings over and over, and went through everything, and realized that even if I have all my settings correct, when I plug in my Zacuto EVF to the HDMI port, the camera seems to switch from my 720p setting to this 1080i crap. That is the only factor I didn't test the weekend before (my EVF). I've used the EVF with 1080p24 many many times, and haven't experienced any sort of switch like this. I had no idea this could happen and was caught completely off guard.

It is extra disappointing because I was shooting at 125 shutter for the 60p slow mo, so not only is it interlaced 1080i60, but the footage has that gladiator sharp-motion feel to it.

Has anyone else has experienced this switch when using an EVF or other kind of monitor plugged into the HDMI port. More importantly, since we've got more to shoot Monday, does anyone have a work-around?

• @xavieramelio Bravo ! Excellent début... pour un "débutant" :) Je suis à Montréal aussi à faire des test avec la GH2 et quelques patch de Driftwood...

• @Tristan Until now, there was no success in hacking the HDMI port. This annoying behavior (switching to 1080i) is present in the original firmware too.

• @Tristan Until now, there was no success in hacking the HDMI port. This annoying behavior (switching to 1080i) is present in the original firmware too.

So why @lumixuser has no problems with the Zacuto VF?

• @Tristan @Lumixuser @Nomad Trying to clarify this. The HDMI port will output 1080i but the internal codec will still output the selected settings to the SD card - or has someone had a different experience on this point?

@Tristan Were you recording to the SD card as usual, just with different monitoring during filming? Did you confirm that you were in SH mode before you started filming each time? I am not saying you did not but want to make sure the issue is as clear as possible.

• Hey les Montrealais on se tournent un short?

• @herbycamer Everything is shot in 24p. I did try the HBR 25p mode but 24p is much cleaner.

• Re: hdmi and 720p mode:

It was my understanding that you can't use an hdmi monitor when recording 720p or using ex tele. There might be "workaround" hacks but I think that is the source of your problem.

• Afaik there is no workaround. Plug in external monitor = loose 720p.

• As others mentioned, when plugging anything into the HDMI port you lose 720, and ex tele. Keep in mind that you also lose the punch in focus ability.

• That's interesting... uploaded a test to Vimeo, straight from the card just like I've done dozens of times and got: Uh oh!

There was a problem loading this video. There was a problem making the HD version of this video! Please review our compression guidelines.

Granted Vimeo is buggy as a rotten stump...but this is a first!

• Maybe not relevant at this point though I'm using Orion v4b but here's a color grading test made in DaVinci Resolve.

Samyang 35mm 1.4 lens.

• I had to import and export the test clip of mysteron. Not too bad!

• @Tristan As everyone has said thus far. It has nothing to do with the hack. Luckily I discovered this in practice one day, which is why everyone does lots of tests. When shooting 720, if you plug in an HDMI cable, the mode switches to 1080i. If you look at the shooting mode on the camera, it switches from SH/H to FSH/FH.

• Noise test for mysteron.

• @davidhjlindberg Love it!

Is that nostalgic you are shooting with natively? I'm using FDs, so I'm finding Smooth the best option, otherwise nostalgic bakes a little too much yellow in for me. Using Panny lenses though, I like nostalgic over smooth for skin tones....although a lot would disagree :-)

• @driftwood thank you so much sir,...today i took mysteron out for a long indoor test in a shopping mall,....amazing results,...mysteron wins everything especially in post production exposure and other adjustments,...i got a bunch of super sensitive video now,...very very sensitive in post production,...so useful and i set my magic bullet looks exposure to +90 stops ....still it works and spreaded the light evenly well and good without any highlighted patch,...what did u do to mysteron sir?? i tried from quantum 9 to sedna almost all high bitrate patches,...but none responded this way,...the name mysteron matches this patch we can also call this patch as the "magicia" sincere thanks and credits to @Vitality and @driftwood ( i started uploading my video will take another 9 hours)

• @SystemD, mercie bocoup, @xav25 ''Hey les Montrealais on se tournent un short?" c'est une bonne idée, voici mon courriel si jamais on veut se mettre en contact pablopugliese1@gmail.com

• @lumixuser @bannedindv @nomad @rafa

Thanks for the info. sad i didn't realize that before the shoot.

I knew about the Ex Tele mode and focus assist not working with the HDMI plugged in. Those are pretty obvious because when you try them they just don't work. Recording to the SD card is really different, there is no indication that the camera isn't doing what it's set to be doing.

So far I've been super happy with this camera, but that's just maddening to the point of absurdity. There's even a setting to select either 1080i or 720p or auto for going OUT the HDMI monitor. I had it set on auto originally, and tried 720p later, but still when recording to the card it was 1080i footage. And why 1080i? why not at least 1080p?

For our shoot, we have had the camera on a jib, and it would be incredibly difficult to shoot without having a monitor at the other end. If anyone knows a solution for this, I would LOVE to hear it.

@thepalalias this happens when I'm recording to the SD card and plug in a viewfinder into the HDMI port.

@sandzadez the camera does NOT indicate a switch from SH/H to FSH/FH, it just says SH/H the whole time, whether HDMI is plugged in or not.

• @tristan are you sure you aren't doing something wrong?

I only ask that, as you are the first person I've heard report the camera switching to 1080i internal recording to SD when video monitoring through HDMI. Also, from my own experience I've not seen this (although I've yet to try Sedna yet).

• @davidhjlindberg

How did you get your footage into Resolve? Easy enough on the Mac with ProRes, but I think you were asking not long ago how do it on Windows(?) Did you find a way?

• @tristan @itimjim if you search through the old threads you will see that tristan is right. Someone from Norway even got an official response from Panasonic (if your own tests are not enough) that there is no 720p out the HDMI while recording. I was also furious for the misleading menu "option" to select it, only to find your footage in 2005-style interlaced video! It is intentionally disabled. I need an external monitor as I can't pull focus on the GH2's small dispaly (and very few people can), so I just don't use 720p at all anymore - just imagine the workflow! Even if you focus one point, you surelly could not PULL once you unplug the cable-ridiculous!

• @jrd, @davidhjlindberg, would converting to uncompressed YUV 10bit from mts on premiere, preserve the video in the YCbCr format? and would grading in Resolve be done in YUV instead of converting to RGB if you ingest the Uncompressed YUV 10bit file?

• Hi everyone (again), I was just wondering, is it possible to have Driftwood Sedna Q20 at 50/100Mbpsas a CBR?

Or if someone can make it??? I really dont think I can be able to handle 154Mbps.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions