Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @sir_danish Mysterion has a new matrix, uses deblocking and record limit in the new 3.65d Ptools and, to my tests, all modes don't crash. Noise looks finer in the shadows, in my opinion. Load it up in Ptools and look at each thing "ticked." To be quite honest, I'm glad driftwood didn't give a description - he must be exhausted from all the patches he's made! Test it, shoot real world scenarios, just like a pre-production. There are so many patches/settings, which is exciting, because it brings back the days of choosing film stock with patience. Anyways, thanks VK, driftwood, thepalalias and all others who have pushed this lil' train further. You guys made my choice GH1 (2 years ago) and my GH2(last year) a choice I've never regretted.

I hope everyone has donated?

• @lunalobo75: Thanks a lot! When you say "finer noise in shadows", do you mean compared to the stock settings? Or which patch did you pull up as a reference?

• sir_danish Hey, I used SpanMyBitchup v2, Sedna A q20 and q1, Orion 4b; I used Smooth, standard and Cinema all at -2, and then all at -2 except for Sharpness and NR; I used panny 20mm from F 1.7 to 4.5 @ 640 800 ISO, and Canon FD 28 and 50mm; and then, I took it into After effects and went through the RGB channels. BUT, it's still all subjective. It looks good in my eyes and all the modes DO NOT crash for me.

Before, SpanMyBitchup v2 with SEDNA A q1 matrix (hybrid I made) was my baby (It spanned up to 3 files); but Mysterion I like, and if it's a placebo effect, then "egg on my face";) That's my opinion, with loose description of my testing. Someone else might be of more help and in finer detail. But I jut shoot to shoot (keeps the headaches down), and if it looks good and my camera is clicking right, then I'm happy...the right angle, composition, good sound, juxtaposition and engaging content will supersede the smallest differences in these patches. Man, I just got on a soapbox - I apologize!

• Why is the link for Rocket v3b and Orion v4b pointing towards the same file?

• with Mysteron recorded for 4m47sec than beeped firmly and stopped recording. Filesize is 4.29GB. haven't checked the shadows yet.

• at 1600 iso Mysteron has the lowest (there is a noise but looks like soft sand, very filmic ) noise level up this time. I need to shoot more to say more but jerkier than Sedna A Q20. amazing PQ. I must try it in day light, very curious to see. sandisk 30MBs 32GB card.

• just wanted to say I appreciate everything your doing driftwood. i check this forum daily. I'll post some videos of mysteron in the days to come!

• @driftwood with myster(ium)... recording limit=1799

in ptool there are 4 options for this(... I'm assuming)

Limit 90000 Limit 63000 Limit 47700 Limit 15300

which one do set to 1799 ?

• 5DtoRGB Batch 1.5.9: shows 146.36 mbps while encoding. 709matrix Gamma 1.0 1600iso süper results in doors. needs more testing

• @cjdincer Curious to know file length(time limit) in L mode... in case you need a slightly longer take...

• @driftwood what profile i shld use for mysterion like you suggested standard for sedna?? is there anything we should know about mysterion. i just loaded it. just want some description from you to look after.

• @driftwood thank you so much for this amazing new level of gh2 patch

• @rajamalik Driftwood has been quiet since the release of Mysteron...probably for good reason (BG). Do your own tests to see what YOU like. If you read this page, you'll see what I've posted as well as cydincer and others who have something to say about mysteron.

• @lunalobo75 if a teacher is silent how a student will learn. mr. @driftwood is silent and wants us to test this new breed if so no problem. i am anyway taking mysteron to a longer test tommorow. will post it for all the members minimum 5min footage. lets see....what it does.....and will report to the master blasters @Vitality and @driftwood

• @ramjamalik time for you to become a teacher;) Driftwood makes the textbooks, now it's time for you to structure a curriculum.

• @lunalobo75 mysteron is somewhere in the middle its not as sharp as sedna AAQ1 but image quality is almost like orion v4b...but,..i am not so sure,...i just took a 2 min footage the usual one i did with all other patches.......will take a round tommorow,...did u tested it over orion v4b and sedna AAQ1????

• @lunalobo75 No never sir @Vitality @driftwood are professionals and they are far experienced in electronics. i am just a beginner and a young filmmaker, never tried or dared to try something beyond limits.

• @rajamalik if you read my post near the top of this thread, I did test all those, plus my SPMBU V2 Sedna A q1 matrix Hybrid patch. Again, it's subjective, but I like Mysteron and I'm happy to go shoot with it on some green screen today. Salud!

• @lunalobo75 did you tried them in post production. each patch differs in response to exposure saturation selective saturation etc.....you know orion v4b is more sensitive than any other patch in post. i dont know about other softwares but with vegas(myself) and aftereffect(with a friend) i am sure it does.....

• @lunalobo75 can this be increased if i am using 95 m/s card??? Recording limit=1799?????????

• @rajamalik VK, Driftwood and other's work on GH2 make the camera a powerhouse for us all. YOU as an artist make the content shine- Just SHOOT, CUT, and GROW with your skills as a storyteller. Those skills will surpass the bitrate, sharpness and noise discrepancies with the different patches.

If you are still wanting them to answer you ("IF" they do, sometimes they won't, bro), then wait until they release their announcements.

If you have been working with all these patches, which I know you have, then keep it up and let us know what you think, that's all I'm saying. What's exciting is that everyone is dialing in with what settings and patches they like, like old film stock choices. As a filmmaker (even if you are an amateur), learn what you like by what you like. I've seen you give advice to others, so I know you have settings you like. Personally, I like cinema and smoothon the GH2 with Mysteron now, and I like Orion 4b and cbrandin 44 and 66 patches.

• lets try Mysteron vs Sedna AAQ1 vs Orion V4b ???? in shoot and in post,... shall we do??? @lunalobo75

• can we modify this?? what it does actually? (Recording limit=1799)

• @rajamalik I already have in After effects (in the RGB channels), and I like Mysteron, my man; especially the fine noise grain in the shadows. If you like Orion v4B and Sedna then more power to you. You found the boat you want to sail on. I have to shoot some scenes today and the rest of the week, and I'm happy with mysteron...which was my point, since I'm not telling anyone to use Mysteron over any other patches/settings that they like. Anyways, glad you have enthusiasm, makes this forum a better place.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions