Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @spiel77 richtig gute Dokumentation ;) Welches objektiv und welche kameraeinstellungen hast du benutzt, wenn ich fragen darf?

• @xavieramelio Driftwood said the new patches are being tested with it, so it makes sense to download it. Mysteron apparently requires it . The link is in the first post of the PTool 3.65d topic.

• Where can I download ptols 3.65? Is it necesary for the new patches coming up???

• hello community, this is my first post in here and i am very thankfull to all of you. i am following the threads here for several month and there have been great discussions and an incredible development progress of the tiny gh2! Honestly, i want to say thanks to everybody. You have spent so much time and passion in this work - wow! the following movie is a presentation of pilot projects dealing with waste management in ethiopia. done with my gh2 and driftwoods orion v4b.

future megacities - The IGNIS Project (HD) from marcus mangeot on Vimeo.

sadly, my equipment wasn't the best for african conditions but next time i will be prepared better.

• @rajamalik

Yup, you were right. NO RED EPIC. uh huh.

• @driftwood - sneaky lil' devil. Are you in on VK's dirty little secret? Will we like it? :)

Oh, I see a new clue on the thread title "Myst". Hmmmmm...

• Hey moved the Red Epic 5k vs GH2 Driftwood Sedna footage to it's own thread:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2721/driftwood-sedna-q1-vs-red-epic-5k-

@rajamalik the patch I used is in the title of the video, Driftwood's Sedna q1 and I also posted the behind the scenes footage of us doing the test so you can tell your cinematographer buddy to have another look ;)

@thepalalias and @fancydancer yup :)

@danyyyel nope :)

• A lot of mistery is growing around BT and Canis or Mysterium

• @CraftyClown don't feel too bad, took me a while to find it too, hah

• Doh! I am blind after all :)

• Look at the ini file attached at the end of the first post on page 1

• What the hell? Are you lot on a wind up? It's not April 1st yet you know.

I see nothing about Mysteron on the 1st page

Am I going blind?

• Mysteron is quite awesome!

• Looks like when I get home, I will be trying out Mysteron

• @terry2 no idea what it is but it's cleary written in the ini "Driftwood GH2 v1.11 requires ptools 3.65D"

• Here a screen shot from Mysterion at 720 50p. Standard -2x4. Spans without problems. First impressions: colours are very saturated, low bitrates, about 27985 Kbts/s, similar shot with Sedna AQ20 was about 70000 or higher, Camera movements jerks more than Sedna. ARE ONLY FIRST IMPRESSIONS!! No scientific comparison!

Myst.png
    960 x 540 - 574K
  • Hey Guys, what is Mysterion patch? Where did that come out from? Is that a new name for Canis? Is it for 3.65 or 3.64... Nick, your patch creativity is going 300 mph...

• When comparing releases for static shots, I find the areas that are most clearly differentiated are those that are more diffuse or lower contrast. High contrast edges are rendered more similarly, but the difference for low contrast edges between for instance Factory and Orion is huge. Differences are also often greater in the lower half of the histogram than towards the center (though some patches obviously have differences towards highlights as well).

When evaluating footage, it is often helpful to find the areas that do not "look right" in a given shot and emphasize those in your comparison for each. These will frequently flicker a bit and you will notice differences in the level of detail fairly quickly. Sometimes using crops for smaller sections *640X360, etc) can be helpful to blow up.

Using theses methods, the slight difference between Sedna AQ1 A and C was visible, the dramatic difference vs Factory was clearly emphasized (as were the places where both perform rather well) and the Orion vs Sedna comparisons continued to be difficult to pick between.

If other people have their own methods for seeing differences (in images not tools), I would be happy to know what they are and where they are noticing the greatest differences.

Note, Firmware updates take around 3 minutes, making natural light comparisons too imprecise for comparing releases so far.

• Mysteron: Beautiful HBR 30p WOW

• I thought it might be helpful for us to compare testing methods and what we look for when analyzing test videos.

In my case, to keep things consistent I always rely on artificial light for the most close comparisons (a lesson hard learned a while back) which is opposite to my real world approach. I either use rooms with no windows or shoot outside at night in areas where moonlight is obscured or inconsequential vs artificial light, or on nights where there is no moon.

When shooting areas with traffic lights, I make sure to get a full cycle (all the colors) with each patch.

I find using EX mode to be helpful for emphasizing handling of fine details. On an f/1.4 lens I use apertures of f/2.8 to f/5.6 to get enough sharpness or detail depending on light. Recently I mainly compare new releases using -2 in sharpness (and always -2 for contrast and NR) for a profile of choice.

In comparing intra patches, I find focusing on the canvas in paintings in EX mode to be helpful as the balance between hard edges and lower contrast detail can emphasize the difference in various release. I will often place a visible light source near the canvas and aim it to ensure uneven light distribution to get both highlights and shadows.

Paintings with a fair number of different colors can be more helpful than more monochromatic ones at times where color handling is part of the evaluation.

For evaluating motion handling, I would like to start testing using things with regular cycles (like fans) but have not tried this yet because it has been "California cold" at my house. :)

• There is a mysteron patch on page one. @driftwood sneaky lil' devil - thanks!

• What is the mysteron patch on Page 1??? the graphs shows 720p 60 with spanning. Are we going away from Sedna? Got a shoot on Tuesday for a music video? I'm seeing that Sedna is now the preferred patch for quality. I will be shooting in a warehouse, so will need some good grading afterwards I'm imagining.

• @Kihlian No Mysteron patch/settings/hack has been... ... Nick, you are killing me here. ;)

Edit: @Kihlian if I get to it first, I will try to post my findings.

• F@#*K!!! No GH2 with me and I'm not home until late this evening, what is Mysteron? Have a shoot tomorrow, low light indoors in 50p, must be failsafe, could I use it so far?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions