Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting lens combination you got there @mozes, its not too bad with that Tele setup...

• @mozes whhy is your image flashing sometimes? I don't have that on my footage..

• I filmed a bit tonight with quantum rocket (just boring stuff at my office) and 24p looks great! My impression though is that 25p is significantly worse and if I understand the various threads regarding 25p it's tough to get 25p to be as good as 24p, at least in a GOP1 or GOP3 setting. My problem is that I am intending to am interested in using the GH2 as a potential A cam on a project for a broadcast project for PAL countries. So my admiration for the formidable work of the short GOP developers turns into frustration when I see that the potential quality of the GH2 is lost when having to film in 25p. I could perfectly live with a long GOP setting if it spares me from macro blocking, mosquito noise and too much banding. My filming style is mainly tableaus anyway, so motion is limited to the motion within the frame. I am willing to test and report, but I would have to know where to start. If some of the more knowledgeable people could provide some settings as a starting point I would be very thankful!

• I did some quick tests and really have no problems with 25p i started laughing when i saw the image of pure goodness, sandisk 16gb 45mb/s leica/panny dg summilux 25mm 1.4 was my gear

• What was the image of? I just made a slow pan from my office couch to the desk, both illuminated by a separate light, shadows in between, and 24p was great while 25p was loaded with banding and mosquito noise, the latter especially on my laptop screen displaying a text doc. Quantum rocket at 25p seems to me as if it cannot handle the information recorded by the sensor. Hence my idea that using the efficiency of a long GOP setting for 25p might solve the problem.

• i'm not familliar with mosquito noise can you explain me what that is? I filmed a well lit place went to a darker, filmed lots of textures and followed my rabbit around :') =) i didn't notice anything wrong

• Hi Driftwood.. I just want to know if, The softer Matrixe mean a smoother image....more closer than a film look

• Hey Driftwood, did a quick test, film at 24p smooth mode on a cheap wintec class 10 card and it works so far on 24p =) Thanks for the awesome patch.

• Hi! I feel like an idiot for asking this but...is the download link for this patch (or are the settings) actually located somewhere in this thread? This was where I was directed when I searched for this patch, but I'm looking through the thread and so far can't seem to find it.

I've read great things about this patch (and, I hasten to add, I've successfully applied earlier patches, using previous versions of PTool, to both my GF1 and my GH2), and I'm eager to try it out. Thanks in advance!

• @heyjoesilver, last 'image' in the first post (it's an attachment).

• So far so good on Patriot LX class 10, except for 720p where I get a ton of mosquito noise and strange blinking in the shadows.

EDIT:

Scratch that, only good on 1 of 4 partiot LX cards

• @Oedipax: Thank you! And I see that it's necessary for one to log in in order to download it. I'm just noting this here for the benefit of anyone who might find this thread via a search engine, and then wonder (as I briefly did) why they are unable to download the file. :)

• First test of Quantum X v.2 with the GH2 and Olympus 12mm F2. All images are shot in 24H, Smooth Film Mode (-2,-2,0,-2), ISO set to 160-640. Images are both tripod and handheld straight out of camera with no additional grading.

My initial impressions of this setting are very positive: blue skies look good with little gradient banding; motion seems smooth. Kudos for your hard work, Mr. Driftwood!

• Would love to test the settings! How can I get them?

• @Kount_Michula Damn nice..and only at 720! Man, I'd like to get my hands on that fuckin lens... Looks great.

• I'm sorry to say that for the first time I'm unable to apply the hack to my GH2 successfully. I had no problems with hacking my old GF1, nor with hacking my GH2 using the old firmware. This time I tried the Driftwood Quantum X (v2 Rocket) patch with v1.1 firmware, and my camera froze; I couldn't even switch off the display without removing the battery.

I then tried using the more conservative recommended settings shown within PTool rather than the more aggressive ones in the Quantum patch. After I recorded a few seconds of video, a message appeared telling me that my camera couldn't write the video to my card because the card wasn't fast enough. (The card is a Topram 32GB class 10 card with plenty of space on it.)

I've since reverted to the unhacked firmware, and my camera is working fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a place on this site where I can report this problem?

• @heyjoe

Go to beginner section with this kind of issue.

Get a sandisk 30mb sec card.

There's just no way you should be running the hack with a topram card- too slow, too unreliable. Even for the low bitrate hacks.

• @kodakmoment

"I filmed a bit tonight with quantum rocket (just boring stuff at my office) and 24p looks great! My impression though is that 25p is significantly worse and if I understand the various threads regarding 25p it's tough to get 25p to be as good as 24p, at least in a GOP1 or GOP3 setting. My problem is that I am intending to am interested in using the GH2 as a potential A cam on a project for a broadcast project for PAL countries. So my admiration for the formidable work of the short GOP developers turns into frustration when I see that the potential quality of the GH2 is lost when having to film in 25p. I could perfectly live with a long GOP setting if it spares me from macro blocking, mosquito noise and too much banding. My filming style is mainly tableaus anyway, so motion is limited to the motion within the frame. I am willing to test and report, but I would have to know where to start. If some of the more knowledgeable people could provide some settings as a starting point I would be very thankful!"

try Sanity: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42716#Comment_42716

• @Driftwood

On a visual level with 24H…

First, the positive…

It’s damn good. It’s the second best patch I’ve ever used. It’s better than any AVCHD camera -- including the FS100 (leaving out the whole low light thing). It’s better than the XDCAM HD422 cameras with which I’ve worked. On some levels it could be indistinguishable from or better than a Panasonic HPX370 with AVCintra. It’s damn good.

However…

The bit rates are all over the place. In today’s quick test it ranged from 41 Mbps to something near 140 Mbps.

It handles the motion of the water damn good. But not as well as 9d. 9d was damn near flawless with water motion -- and when viewing 9d I was outraged that there was no delivery format (short of motion DNG or whatever that only Technicolor could view) that could convey the awesomeness I was beholding.

At about 1:05 in the video above you’ll see flickering on the grass. That happened in three clips. It’s entirely possible that was my fault (moving too fast for the focal length and distance to subject at 24p) -- or -- it may be something about which you need to be aware. If you want to look at those raw clips and have some preferred large file delivery method that doesn’t cost me -- I’m happy to forward them.

Obviously, I didn’t do low light tests. In one of the clips not in that video I saw alarming noise in shadows that wasn’t normal. But -- I don’t know enough about that as yet to report anything.

Also, it doesn’t encode out as quickly as 9d did.

So…

It’s damn good. But -- it doesn’t kick me in the face like 9d did. God knows I’m not trying to be negative -- and God knows that when you’ve got something that kicks me in the face I’ll sing its praises and tell the world and celebrate your name, etc. But -- if I’m not honest here -- I’m not really being helpful in my small, insignificant way, right?

As always, I thank you for your meaningful works

• This is Quantum X v1 (sorry, wasn't able to keep up!)

Very pleased with the results of this, with 196 Mbps on my Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s Class 10 with a Voigtlander f0.95 25mm.

• @onionbrain the shot at 2:48 is absolutely stunning

• To say that I'm blown away is an understatement.

This quality is the best I have seen the GH2 output since the hacks started. The grain is gorgeous, organic and shadows are superbly handled.

driftwood, I don't know exactly how you did it but this is the best quality I have seen under 15k for a camera. Thank you and congratulations to Vitaliy also. The 60p is also much much better than Sanity, wow!

I can safely say I can use HBR mode 30p NTSC on my next shoot with this hack. Sandisk 30MB/sec Extreme.

• Yes, some stunning shots onionbrain. Also, your post is well spoken. This is the type of info Nick wants to here.

I'm finally getting "off the road" this Friday! Looking forward to checking out Vitaliy's new ptool. This guy is simply amazing! Also much respect to Nick, Chris, and all the other's involved with squeezing every bit of quality possible from this.

• @driftwood what's my best choice using sandisk pro 30MB/s cards using ETC mode for both 1080/24h and 1080/24h at 80% slow mo (1080/30p)? I am curently using aquamotion v2,

• @driftwood: gh2, ISO1600/3200, SLRMagic 12/1.6, Sandisk Pro 30MB/s class 10, i have the "motion recording cancelled..." error in 720p - I loaded the Quantum X as it is, no modifications. All other modes seem to go ok. While with SanD extreme pro 45MB/s everything works fine. Only Mjpeg FSH doesn't playback, i just get like a still pic, but perhaps this was expected?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions