Personal View site logo
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless
  • 162 Replies sorted by
  • Yep, it also have special video timelapse mode.

• That yellow one is starting to grow on me. Either you love or hate the design, personally i don't care. This are the points i like about it.

• Cheap starting MSRP
    • able to adapt K-mount lenses without a need for adapters
    • Body Shake reduction
    • K-5 sensor, i think this is one of the better APS-C sensors out there
    • HDMI out and mic input with audio levels control
    • Timelapse recording

I just hope it has fully manual controls for video recording No tilting LCD though thats a bummer, maybe thats what the HDMI out is for.

• Interesting little camera.. If video mode is good, Id consider getting it in a heartbeat. I quite like the quirky design.

pentax_lineup.jpg
    800 x 579 - 90K
  • @Vitaly_Kiselev, any chance you might consider hacking the K-01?

I remember there were some efforts going towards hacking the Pentax K-5. The K-01 has the same APS-C size sensor as the K-5 (with 24p and a better processing engine).

The Pentax K-01 may make an interesting candidate for a hack now that the GH2 hack is well under way and a great success, yes?

Edit: oh-- the above post wasn't up when I replied. Very exciting to hear that we might have a K-01 hack!

Thanks, Vitaly. :)

• @John_Farragut

People are really hating this camera.

People are stupid here

I really do not care about video much here (but if Pentax will be using same firmware coding as in K-5 it'll be hackable, as my tool supports almost all present Pentax cameras). For me screw drive and, good sensor, good screen are enough. Sony class EVF could be good, but price will be much larger.

• People are really hating this camera. I personally like that it's something different. Camera design has become a bit stale. It would have been better having the SD card at the bottom than behind a large rubber flap, because it makes it hard to get to the one thing most accessed. Okay, soon wireless SD will become more prevalent.

I really hope the video is good, without moire. I would buy this thing in a heartbeat if so, because this sensor is awesome for photography. I can have a really good all in one with image stabilizer. Makes a good complement to my GH2. I'm looking forward to the Olympus weather sealed OM-D, but that's way more expensive.

• Other good thing is $749 MSRP (or 40mm kit $899, so pancake will be really cheap)

Most probably will be good compliment to my Pentax cameras, as I have bunch of Pentax glass.

• I think it is cool.

And looking at the specs it support all lenses. So, it'll AF with screwdrive lenses. Without any adapter. Right now Pentax continue famous compatibility.

• It's so crazy that I actually like it. Give me the yellow or white one :-).Too bad the connections (hdmi, mic, SD) are all on the side of the handgrip under a large rubber flap. I hate rubber flaps. The design is a conversation starter, for sure. But it has no viewfinder and no rotating screen. That sensor is the same as K5 so very good. And Pentax has large lens selection. And that pancake lens is nice.

• That's a big camera not to have a viewfinder.

Interesting things will be if it has: 4:2:2 HDMI out, bit rate support. Gladly it has full manual movie mode, with 30/25/24 fps.

Oh, and Marc Newson needs to step away from camera design. What were they thinking?