Personal View site logo
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • @kavadni, if Vitaliy can access the controls for the film modes (and that sounds like a big "if") then at least a flatter gamma curve that didn't crush any existing detail is about the best we can hope for, I think. Which would still be great, of course.
  • Can a hack extend the contrast/dynamic range? Is there possibly settings/values in the bios that have yet to be discovered?
  • As much as the idea of comparing cameras has its detractors, it is an attempt to address *the most common question* - Which Camera?
    In a technologically-complicated world some manufacturers may actually manage to generate sales to a befuddled public. I prefer clarity.
  • Well hopefully a new round of this shoot out begin's soon so everyone can have something new to argue about. Hopefully the next round Mr. Bloom will provide us with some animated GIF's to compare motion detail. Seriously I think we could all afford to lighten up! (-:
  • @DrDave What the hell is a Chip Buttie? LOL Sorry! I'm lost on that one.
  • And more vid of the Chip Butties.
  • @danyyyel I definitely understand you about harsh lighting conditions. In Los Angeles the sun's always shining, so contrast can be a bit annoying outdoors! And, alot of the times when I'm working on low budget stuff I've only got reflectors at my disposal, and small bits of diffusion.

Try lighting three people at once with a Cali Sunbounce, one 4x4 Floppy, and a 4x4 Opal... then try lighting an entire funeral scene with that; I've done it, it's not fun. But it forces you to learn how to shoot other ways.

As much as I've shot with higher end formats, I have no trouble with turning to the hacked GH2 for serious work. I am very interested in the C300 and you can bet I'm gonna get my hands on it soon, but the GH2 + Driftwood combo, along with some PL lenses, is a dreamy setup. Right down to post.

Also, thanks for checking out the blog and referring it. I've just soft launched it, going to do an official launch once the first post of the $10K Feature Film section goes up. IN the meantime, Facebook follow for updates until I've got the subscription widget up. The blog's coming from the perspective of a working set of filmmaker shooting commercials, features, shorts on large and small budgets. It won't always be about gear, and you will see narratives, commercials, and actual lit material showing up.

Oh, and DO try the ISO thing! I'd love to see more examples from everyone. Encourage the community to share the knowledge, that's how we all learn more.
  • @PhilipBloom

I really appreciate what you and your team are doing, as well as commenting on here. I think some people on here failed to see what was that you guys are doing. Fun little camera tests. And I can see that you guys are having fun doing what you doing. This is what most of us buying camera is about; having fun, doing things that we wanted to do.

All those images looks great for what it is. I can guaranteed that, if you shoot a moving story with any of those camera, nobody gonna care what camera it came from.

In fact, I have a short story that I'm planning to shoot using an NEX-5 although I have two GH2's. The size and FOV is more suitable for what I wanted to do. I may use the GH2 though, since I think the NEX-5 crop in video mode giving comparable FOV to GH2.

Keep doing what you are doing. You can't please everybody, but the only person that matter is you :)
  • Well put danyyyel

• @Mimirsan I think that test like these are very important. Having seen the 1080p version of the screen grab even highly compressed jpeg the gh2 is only beaten in sharpness by the C300 and about equal to the F3, and beaten is a very very heavy word because it is nearly a tie. For DR I think that with the detail in the shadows and seeing the histogram it at least on a par to the other DSLR.

But lets say that the outcome was different, that the test showed that a Sony $ 5000 FS100 had better detail and much better DR. Some perhaps would have preferred the 6x times more costly FS100 to the gh2 because they would have concluded that the added cost would have been valuable for the gain in image quality. If the image no4 was the $5000 fs100, it would have been on my purchase list.

What this shootout tells me for now is that until I have at least $ 15000 to buy a camera, the gh2 is the best camera under that sum. How about that. Criticism is not a bad thing, if now we cannot criticize the gh2, that we shall always sing its gospel (and I do sing it a lot) then we will start to live in the fanboy system.
  • Philip's point is correct.

All this aside, I'm willing to bet other camera forums (canon, Sony etc..) are ranting about how their camera could of been better if.....

Hopefully, Philip will have more.
    It's entertainment. It's obvious Philip is having a great time! Thank you for sharing!
  • Attached updated table with @PhilipBloom 's confirmed results.
    BloomShootout.doc
  • I hope you post some of the uncompressed screengrabs. From what I have seen the gh2 exhibits oddly the less banding in the smooth background. It has very fine grain(noise) that breaks the pattern.

@kholi, I might seem a little DR obsessed but I live in a tropical island and contrast lighting ratio here is very high. As a working photographer you always have to fight it. But at least in photography with some flash I can manage quite well as a fill-in. I had a crash course with a DP on lighting for cinematography and I could overpower the sun with what would fill into my car... less wait than a 2k HMI. The same for continous light would need a lighting truck.

I have stated to read your blog and find it very valuable. The subject of banding was very interesting and I invite everybody to look at it here http://www.campcomet.com/archives/797 . I had experiment a bit with it and was getting to the same conclusion, will have to do more test with your findings to see what work best for me.
  • Okay guys sorry but lemme rant as ive nearly had enough I just cant take it anymore.
    I think the only reason some GH2 owners get wound up over the bloomage shootout is that the outcome isnt going to be "OMG!!! The GH2 Is so awesome better than everything out there even the $3000 camera GH2 ROCKS MAN WOOO!"
    Crying that its being shot wrong or overexposed or the shootout is deliberately uneven and biased just seems well...just typical and predictable.
    Bloom is not the be all end all (Hes not blimmin Kurosawa...btw DONT get me started on his "critics" webisodes)...get over it and go and shoot stuff...y'know like what he does?
    All the cameras are great you dont need a "shootout" by anyone to tell you what you use is good. Life is fucking short go do something with it!
    So fucking insecure some GH2 owners are! Christ!
    Sooooo sick of these fucking comparison videos! AAAAAARRRRrrrrrrgggghhhh!
    *Goes for a pint* ;-)
  • Derek has it correct
  • Relax chaps! The Driftwood hack did super well. Especially the resolution shots.

PLEASE read my post. Those are heavily compressed jpegs to represent the colour of skin tone only. Ignore compression artifacts.

With regard to PP. Nick Driftwood told me to use Nostalgia dialect down.

Whenever you do a shootout you will also have people say you should have done it this way or that way...

Remember none of these are graded. Once they are I can easily make them all match.

Stop obsessing over minute details are enjoy a supercharged camera.
  • I would say 99 percent of the stuff I see online is not double blind, and therefore has no real "perceptual" significance. It's just random net stuff. There's no question the GH2 takes good vid. What else do we need to know? I couldn't even tell my Olly 45mm from my Vivitar 55mm once I had deliberately shuffled the deck. At least in this case they did not pre-announce the cam IDs.

The only reason there is a kerfuffle is because they didn't pre-annouce the IDs.

If they had, the ensuing discussion would have been completely different, guaranteed.
    However, whether the camera is "actually" better or just "seems" to be better is not the whole story. If you take a musician with five violins, one of which is a genuine Stradivarius, and the other four are really good copies, more often than not, a highly trained panel in a blind test will pick the copy as sounding better. But that isn't a "measurement", it is a perception. And the musician would prefer to play the Strad, even if it sounded inferior. I will sometimes prefer to use an old Leica or Zeiss lens, even if my Panny 20mm trounces it on edge sharpness and distortion wide open (which it does). I would prefer to play the Strad, but I would still *really* want to know which one really sounded better. Time after time, double blind tests come up with radically different results than those that are not. What is interesting about this test, is that different people preferred different images, I don't see a consensus emerging--before the results were announced--as to which one was better, or even which one was which. I don't actually care which one "measures" better, I'm not going the measure the final product, just watch it on a big screen.
  • Yes it is a little confusing, his post on the main article and then him saying in the post below which one is correct. I think it is the one in the post that is correct with the gh2 being no 9.
  • I think half the board just committed Seppuku...
  • he say ,Someone in the comments got in right!
    and that person is spacemoose,
    Here’s my Pink Panther:

1 5D
    2 NEX5
    3 AF100
    4 C300
    5 D7000
    6 F3 AB
    7 F3 S-Log
    8 FS100
    9 GH2
    10 7D
    philip say correct read
  • Are you sure, I see it but I can't relate to that. Can somebody ask for it because it would change a lot of thing. So from his post is it. Can't see the S-log F3 being one of the most contrasty image.

1 Sony NEX5N, Flat PP

2 AF100 AB-RANGE PP

3 C300 C-LOG

4. GH2 Driftwood Hack nostalgia and dialed down

5. 5Dmk2 Marvels Advance

6. 7D Marvels Advance

7. FS100 G-LOG A

8. F3 AB-RANGE

9. F3 S-Log

10. Nikon D7000 Flat
  • That's what philips say. not me, is just a quote from there....
  • @mozes

look in the comment itself. It is this:

1. 5D MKII
    2. NEX5N
    3. AF100
    4. C300
    5. D7000
    6. F3 AB
    7. F3 S-Log
    8. FS100
    9. GH2
    10. 7D
  • @driftwood
    If I was smart enough to hack a GH2, I'd never post footage because the expectations would be too high. Brilliant enough to turbo charge a DSLR? Then your footage undoubtedly would exceed that of Roger Deakins by orders of magnitude. Too much much pressure!