Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • Along with canon c300 and others. Check Mr. Bloom's site.
    http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/15/christmas-shootout/
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • This will be great. ++
  • Very impressed w/ v5, all around.
  • This should be very interesting. Much respect for Philip Bloom.
  • Sorry for the slide thread drift but I didn't see Quantum v5 in the 'all patches in one thread' thread. Is it listed by another name?
  • I'm rooting for Driftwood. Go! Go!
  • I miss the RED Epic in this test. One week after the RED soap Bloom gets a C300 loaner. How convenient. Good to see the GH23 driftwood patched in there. Exciting!
  • looking forward !
  • I see why he has to return the Epic. But that's case closed. On a more constructive note, finally someone with a viable alternative to some Zacuto bullshit shootout
  • Unleash the GH2!
    Anyone reckon the result will affect camera sales?
  • @FGCU Philip had his Voit 0.95 when I installed it for him.
  • @SuperSet its still in Low GOP thread as its in BETA test stages, looking to produce final Quantum version once the 25p is unleashed. Then it'll go in patches thread.
  • The one worry I had (and Ive told him) is his measly Transcend 32GB card he had at the time... Ive advised him to get a decent 64Gb card for any of his cameras supporting the sdxc format.
  • I must admit that I am really looking forward for the results.. but then again I don´t mind if nobody beside us knows what this little gem can do. No need to prove, I am happy with the results and that counts. ;)
  • Ack, if he's using the Transcend cards then it's a possible problem for sure.
  • I have the 64GB Transcend SDXC which is perfect for low bitrate and stock settings, but I'd still stick with SanDisk Extreme Pro for any paid work or shootouts...
  • Can't wait for the politics
  • I would love some professional guy just writing that the gh2 is "good" compared to the canons, to show clients before the shoot.
  • Phillip Bloom already knows whats up...he has one. All you have to do to see how awesome the GH2 is ...use it.
  • @fatpig Yep, all clients need to feel better about what gear you use on their gig is a clipping from a shooterblogger they've never heard of, saying he likes the GH2. All the tension in the room will evaporate, all the preconceived notions about what a pro video camera looks like will fall by the wayside. Just by showing them Bloom's comments, your stock in their eyes will skyrocket.

Me? I'm printing up dozens of Bloom's GH2 comments and having them laminated, so I can hand them out to every prospective client. At the bottom in boldface I'll put: "SEE????? PHILLIP BLOOM SAYS MY CAMERA IS GOOD!!!!! SEE????"

Now to just choose the spinnaker for my yacht and the supermodels to cavort upon its deck.
  • Shaveblog is right. Phil Bloom doesn't even have much credibility in video forums, as he's known as a guy with an opinion for sale. I've seen him endorse products he hasn't even used. So to drop his name to a client? A better reference would be something like "This cam was used to film part of the latest Speilberg flick" or whatever. Better yet, just put your GH2 in a cage and attach some gizmoids to make it look cool.
  • Steady on running down people there @brianluce. He has a lot of credibility amongst video communities - but in the end its just his opinion - like yours, like mine. You can agree or disagree - youve heard of him yeah? Whether you value his opinions or not he writes a good blog and keeps us informed - he doesn't force you to agree.

I do know he buys all his main gear,and he's not rich, he took out a second mortgage on that RED gear.
    If he has an endorsemen for other products which he likes, he's not forced to use it, I mean, fair do's... I can think of many a sportstar, musician, VIP, etc... who have been asked to endorse products they probably don't use or know nothing about... I doubt any of Philip's endorsed products are bad. He's not just a journo afterall, he's a filmmaker first and foremost. And he loves cameras. Don't see much wrong with that.
    And anyone can write a blog, right?

PS I totally agree with @No_SuRReNDeR
  • He has a certain smooth charm about him but all you need to do is to meet him and realise that the passion he has for this stuff is real and as strong as any of us. Then you can forget all about politics and opinions, because at the end of the day that - and talent - is all that really matters.
  • @driftwood
    @EOSHD

Keep it about the topic title.
    All this discussions about PB do not have any use.