Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • @mozes

This is completely wrong view.
    First they get money from advertisments clicks (also from affilated companies mostly).
    Most of income goes from Amazon, Adorama, and other motherfuckers (this ones provide you about 5% from transaction)
    Publishing such stuff you get big amount of new guys.
    Expirienced ones are required to make noise and play roles of freely working advertisment agents.
    So, you have many new guys and, strangely, small percent clicks on links, all of the links have affilate parts.
    If this guy buy something (especially good before Christmas! this is the cause of timing) you get your percent.
    Recently many big forums you all know started to replace ALL of the links in ALL posts to the affilated stuff (via viglink or similar services).
  • One minute at Photoshop.
    bloom-shot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 97K
  • I dont understand the poor result of the test of PB with the GH2 case. Here I leave a capture of frame of my GH2 with a cheap FD 50mm f1.8 (U$43), night shot without film lighting, handheld and in amateur hands with the Driftwood's Terraquake Patch. I think the skin tone of this capture is rich and have a interesting look.

The video for appreciation (all is handheld and have some unstables movements):

PD: Excuse me if isnt the place indicate for my comment and for my poor english.
    shot-1.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 70K
  • @JDN, Nostalgic, Smooth, -2's, other?
    Thank you for sharing your GH2 observations, @JDN.
  • @Manu4Vendetta
    Looks good!
    Of course it would be way better if you had the original frame and saved to a lossless data compression such as png.
  • >Amazon is 15%

How are they live with such affilate percents :-) ?
  • @whiterabbit, sorry man, busy day wasn't following the threads -- Smooth, -2, -2, 0, -2 is my go to setting at the moment. Actually confused a bit (not in a bad way, just inquisitive why @EOSHD recommends +2 on NR on his blog -- would be curious to burrow a little more into that). For me, though, the big difference has been the warm cards -- wish I was getting referral money from this but I'm not. In fact, I think you could make your own with pieces of coloured paper. But I find warm 1 (just a very very light blue) really has made that difference with skin tones that I was looking for (and man, was I looking for it, grey cards, manual balance, fiddling with +/- Gs and Ms and Vs, you name it).

@derek Agree that I'm not blown away by F3 -- erganomics suck, LCD is crap, EVF in a terrible position so basically, not a run and gun camera in any way. I dunno... for all the money you'd need and firmware updates, I'd buy a scarlet. But before I bought that, I'd buy glass to use with the gh2. FS100 I'm actually not as fast to dismiss, but I work in broadcast so I need something that can shoot 422 (in its case with an external recorder) for compliance. Haven't shot with it yet, but know those who have with ninjas and other external recorders and they are happy.
  • @JDN, thank you for clarification regarding the camera settings. I have been shooting Nostalgic, now going to revert back to Smooth and shoot/learn more. I have been shooting all -2, and even then, I usually drop saturation in Colorista. I have some cards, various gel, so I will try that warm card option soon, see if I can match your impressive skin tone rendition, above. Thank you.
  • @whiterabbit, no problem. One interesting note on colour correct -- work on avid at home but fcp at work, and maybe I'm just biased but I really find that the prores hq does not do as well with mts files as avid dnxhd 175 X (or 220). Have tried transcoding to prores with FCP, clipwrap and 5DtoRGB and none of them match dnxhd to my eyes....

But sorta irrelevant as the screengrabs were just straight out of the camera from mplayerx screengrab. Regardless, thanks for the compliments and glad to be of help.

PS: I reserve the right to go back on the warm card for outdoor use. I still feel its a tossup outdoor between manual balance to grey and to warm. But indoor, warm card all the way for me.
  • JDN,
    Are you saying an Avid man as myself should'nt go into any trouble messing around with 5DtoRGB?
    We're good with DNxHD 175?
    I'm very relieved :)
  • @JDN, thank you clarification and caveat. :D I will be aware that warm cards are primarily considered for indoor use. I am operating on PC now, so no DNxHD use at the moment. There appears to be merit to converting source 8-bit 420 files to 10-bit 422 files, if applying various post processing, as @PerryWilson:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/18608#Comment_18608
    Post processing views may vary, I am exploring now, and seeking to change the gamma curve on record to be a little flatter, as we have discussed.
  • @rozroz - +1 for DNxHD 175 from another in avid land.
  • Skin tones? I know the GH2 gets nice skin tones!

• at last. skin that look like skin.

@mrbill - you mean you also ask the question?
    or do you state that DNxHD 175 direct import to avid is on par with 5DtoRGB?
  • @FGCU, thank you for your feedback. I am in a PC environment, currently using PPro, so DNxHD is not part of my DNA. @FGCU, do you 'clean' your footage in post to make the conversion from 420 to 444 any more than what 5DtoRGB has to offer in the conversion process? Thank you.
  • @rockroadpix
    Damn that looks good.
  • @rockraodpix

Perfect example of why you need light, man. Get those levels up, and then the magic happens.
  • @FGCU, thanks for the samples, looks great! All the best with your shoot, please keep us apprised.
  • The DP on the shoot is a solid guy. His reel is top notch for beauty.

http://www.dekedonelian.com/
  • @JDN Great tip on the warm card 1 white balancing. Shooting through a 1/8 or 1/4 CTB gel works too, just white balance w/ a white sheet of paper.
  • he's got the cannon c300 review up. The shootout is not yet done.

http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/24/c300review/
  • looks yummy. but 8-bit :(
  • I'd say the GH2 Hack did an amazing job in the resolution test here, nice to see Phil confirm it.