Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @s_maurice Cant you just put the hacked fw back on your memory card and follow the same steps to hack it back to the custom firmware.
  • @toxotis70
    great, thanks for sharing! How does FCP X handle 25p files?
  • OK, in the calmest way possible
    HELPPPPPPPP.
    Woke up, updated firmware, yey its finally here.
    On restart, I then remember that my GH2 is a Japanese model that I used the hack to change to English, so now once again it is in Japanese.
    Annoying, but I can live with it.
    BUT,
    Now Im stuck in NTSC mode!!!!!
    Im a PAL user and I have a shoot this weekend.
    What are my options????
  • Normal film mode, all at -2 except NR 0
    The trick here was that i overexposed by one stop (i always do).
    The real image was darker .... but i reduse exposure after, in post (FCPX)
  • @toxotis70 What noise reduction setting are you using?
  • noise is redused in video too
    See here a small noise test @ 3200 ISO ... with VERY low light in my work room.
    i cant imagine the quality with Vitaliy 's hack in 25p !

• custom menu-> 6th screen: TOUCH SCREEN ON-OFF
  • hit it with the hammer that came in the zip file

would certainly be nice if auto-focus was improved in video.
    what does the half press release do, if anything in video shooting?
  • How do you disable touch screen? I'm not seeing it in the menu.
  • Ah, appreciate the re-post of the release notes. I missed it as I was looking at that PDF.
  • @SuperSet:

Yes, there is "Improved in the AF performance in video recording."

What exactly it does, nobody know, for the moment.

Full release notes:

Added a video mode [HIGH BIT RATE] which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate(24Mbps).
    Added a function [POWER ZOOM LENS] when using power zoom lens.
    ([DISP FOCAL LENGTH], [STEP ZOOM], [ZOOM RESUME], [ZOOM SPEED], [ZOOM RING]*)
    Full area enlargement of AF area setting.
    Improved in the speed of consecutive shooting when shot with auto bracket.
    Increased number of recordable images in consecutive shooting.
    [EX.TELE CONV. (Extra Tele Conversion)] can be set ON/OFF separately in photo or video recording.
    More accurate light adjustment of built-in flash.
    Improved in the AF performance in video recording.
    Synchronization of alarm volume for low battery with [BEEP VOLUME].
    Added a function [HALF PRESS RELEASE].
    Improved NR (Noise Reduction) in high sensitivity shooting.
    Added a function [TOUCH SCREEN] which is ON/OFF control of touch-screen.

* Available with LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. only.
  • Panasonic has good reason to package the new HBR PAL 25p and NTSC 29.97p modes in 50i and 59.94i wrappers. These interlaced formats are supported by all PAL and NTSC HDTV's, allowing you to play back the videos directly from the camera. The only progressive formats that are officially supported in the Blu-ray/AVCHD world are 23.976p, 24p, 50p, and 59.97p.
  • I thought there were supposed to be some autofocus improvements with this patch? I didn't see anything in the release notes. Anyone remember that?
  • @Shield welcome to the world of video technology..lol---- Im ASS-uming that since Pany doesnt consider this camera profesional that maybe it is actually 30p.

• I'm still confused on the 30p. If it were 30p inside a 60i wrapper, wouldn't the footage show up as 59.94fps? Is there such a thing as 30p in a 30i wrapper? My head hurts.
  • OHHHH so the HBR is 30p actually that is pretty sweet nvmd then LOL-- gonna try this out.
  • @johnnym
    No mp4! 25p came in AVCHD 24mbps format Similar to 24p but no 25L setting only HBR (HighBit Rate)
  • A quickie test shows no fix in ISO 320 bug - remember to dial down from higher ISO.

Otherwise, 25p HBR is a blessing for me (PAL-citizen), quality fine, videospec shows 17-18Mbps - waiting for hacks ;) Latest update (1.5.6) of 5DtoRGB converts 25p HBR to ProRes without problems, audio fine.

Disabling the touch screen is a major plus for me.
  • Anyone shot mp4 with it?
  • @No_SuRReNDeR as far as i can tell from the japanese pdf (cant read japanese, but it does say "1920x1080…24Mbps…30p…16:9" in roman characters) we do get proper 1080p30 WITH SOUND! will be awesome - sound to sync to! no more need to slate with external recorder! no more conforming! Going to test it tonight hopefully when i get home.
  • i ll wait for that !
    Ninja is more expensive than BM ?
  • I'll try 25p with the Ninja tonight.
  • No news on the 4:2:2 MJPEG Front, though?
  • @No_SuRReNDeR
    In NTSC you get 30p?? No sale? (Honestly VK will have this ported in a few weeks - we have waited long enough for Panny - so what is another 2-3-4weeks...? See 2012 in with new PTOOLS!