Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @vitality Thank you very much, your speed for answer was very impressive

• anyone have the first release of the v1.1 PAL firmware with the 30 min limit removed and confirmed? if so could you please upload..

Also can i ask as i am new to this, I mainly use my GH2 camera for pictures not video. does the hack benifit that at all or just video? and if i was to shoot video i doubt i would need it for HD movies, if anything possibly an advert or documentry or just backgrounds for green screen. so would i need to use the hack or just leave it standard firmware?

cheers.

RickD

• @RickD, there has only been one v1.1 version of the GH2 firmware released. What's on the Panasonic web site now is the same as what was originally posted.

Hacking does not affect still pictures. You can see a summary of the patches in the FAQs. (the FAQ link is in the header)

• Many thanks for your reply, its helped a lot. thanks

• I have an american version of GH2 that i bought from B&H so it's not a pal version and i'm still using it with the hack but if i do the update 1.1 will i be able to record in 25p? or only 24p & 30p?

Thanks

• no - with 1.1 you are back to the original way the camera worked. But when the hack for 1.1 comes out, it will allow you to shoot in PAL with 1.1.

• ok but with the hack now in manual movie mode i can do 1080 50i even with an american camera if video out is set to pal right? Will that also be possible with update 1.1 without hack?

• yes. i forget exactly how to set to PAL because i have not done it, but it appears in one of the menus. i know you should reformat your card before or after doing it to clear NTSC footage. AFAIK VK's plan is to make everything available in the 1.1 hack that was in the 1.0 hack.

• For sofar i now, the pal or ntsc out is only for displaying on a pal or ntsc tv.
    If i for example format the card to ntsc (i have a pal camera) then i get a error message that have formated the card wrong.
    This message i get with version 1.1, but also with the hacked 1.0 version.

• The PAL / NTSC switch does not only affect video output, but also the general mode the cam is running. (50 or 60 FPS). If you switch PAL/NTSC the option in Ptools on you can decide which mode you want to use. Just make sure that you reformat the card before recording. The you can use a cam that was bought as PAL in NTSC modes and visa versa. (Somehow got the feeling that you knew that and we have some misunderstandings here.. wrote it anyway so new people do not get confused.)

• @mozes - the ntsc file system (way of formatting SD card) has NOTHING to do with PAL or NTSC video/TV system! File systems and video systems are completely different thing, although they share the same name...

• @Meierhans its the manual who says that, i just repeating it. by that i mean the unhacked camera
    when i set the gh2 with ntsc, and then format my card to ntsc, it still only wants to record 50p, there just that error message, even when setting all things correct in ptools, i have put that question in http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/443/basic-and-beginner-questions i get that error with the 1.0 hacked as the 1.1 firmware
    @valdi99, setting video out to pal or ntsc is just for streaming from the gh2 to a pal or ntsc tv, so says the manual
    http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z4f227b39z3z2fb23z656ez706466z23za1967c0db1f16ace82bc58d9f3d18b622a615fb2/tsn2/data/ALL/DMCGH2HEB/OI/846855/vqt3a48.pdf

video out.png
    802 x 151 - 25K
    hdmi out setting.png
    786 x 523 - 95K
  • i am sorry to go off topic
    this is my last post in this topic, just hoping to get a respons in the beginner topic sone
    this picture belongs in the above topic..

Naamloos.png
    1058 x 57 - 18K
  • Yes there was a misunderstanding here because i loaded the firmware 1.1 and found out that PAL/NTSC(50i/60i) can't be switched without hack. So i went back and loaded quantum50 and now i can switch again. Now i just hope that 50i is stable with quantum50 and i can't wait like every other pal users that's doesn't own a pal camera to have 25p!

• @valdi99 Never heard of ntsc file system... ;) In fact the cam does not change the file system when switching region, but somehow it seems to initialize it differently (folders or whatever). This is causing the problems when you switch region and try to record to the same card. So in case you want to switch region in field you will need to carry at least 2 cards with you.

• If i am correct, de video out sets the hdmi out to 50hz or 60 for ntsc.
    i have a cheap qmedia cam here it shoot in 720p 60fps. there is a option for ntsc or pal, even when choosing pal, it keeps recording in 60fps, so i think for the gh2 its exactly the same, for sofar i can understand it all, i am still talking abouth the UNhacked gh2 v1.0 or 1.1

• "i am still talking abouth the UNhacked gh2 v1.0 or 1.1" Then you are absolutly right. But who would use this? ;=)

• @Meierhans - I've been using Firmware 1.1 because it gives me 25p - in the mean time, patiently waiting for Vitaly's new hack.

• @Donnie88 v1.0 give 25p to, you just need to interpolate it, and render as progresive
    i just have filmed something with v1.1 but if your eyes have seen the hacked version, its not the same anymore ...

• @mozes

Interpolating does more to degrade the footage than the hack could ever help. If your eyes saw the v1.1 footage "its not the same anymore ...".

• I have a feeling that the new V1.1 Ptool will be the most significant improvement we have seen for the GH2 in a long tim. I can't wait to use it.

Not rushing VK though. I know he is working hard on it and we all appreciate his efforts.

• I have a feeling that the new V1.1 Ptool will be the most significant improvement we have seen for the GH2 in a long tim.

No, it won't be "the most significant improvement ".

• There aint that much more that VK can squeeze out of this camera. reality check.

• 25p and 'maybe' better NR... (personally I need the 25p for serious PAL work so yeah...)
    But seriously the most 'significant' improvement was cracking the encoder matrix stuff (the way I see it anyway).