Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @pvjames ex tele is only a video feature. In a photo it would be like cropping the middle out as far as resolution goes. Ex tele just tells the camera ---> use only the part of the sensor you need for HD video which is around 2.3 mega pixels worth...So its not a digital zoom .

• The Ex. Tele Conv mode is grayed out when i try to shoot stills

you must be shooting RAW ... Only available in JPEG

• @lenuisible: Ah..yes. That was it. I noticed, too, if you use 'S' size, it will be more of a 'Zoom' since the size is smaller. 'M' is less 'zoom' and 'L' is not much at all. Thanks!

@No_SuRReNDEeR: It should work in photo mode now with the 1.1 update. Make sure its JPEG as lenuisible mentioned.

• @arvidtp: Thank you very much for this information!

• This is a very unscientific example attached but I've definitely noticed some nasty interlacing-like lines over HBR more at 25 and 30 fps on Firmware 1.1 using the driftwood quantum patch. Usually present in tight gradients and accentuation with high contrast grades.

Has anyone else noticed these artefacts? I know arvidtp mentions the progressive footage being encoded like in fields. I wondering if this something that could feasibly be corrected in a firmware patch, if not from Panasonic then from this community?

25-30-24_gh2.jpg
    558 x 900 - 91K
  • Driftwood's settings use frame & field size limits, which will in some cases limit the quality of one field picture more than the other field picture of the same frame, resulting in the kind of field mismatch that you're talking about. Settings that don't use frame limits (or fallback mode) will avoid this.

• Thanks! Great to know that this is avoidable. I'll try out some other settings, thanks again.

• Can anyone recommend a solid patch for HBR 25 or 30p? I've tried Serenity 4 and am still getting these odd interlaced artefacts natively in premier and after effects with footage interpreted as progressive :S Thanks in advance.

• Try Cake v2. But are you sure you're not experiencing a playback problem? See how the clips look in VLC.

• HBR test in various programs. VLC seems to treat it like after effects 'interpreting upper field with preserve edges' but interpreting progressive still shows this odd interlaced artefacts but also seems to hold more vertical detail. I'll try out Cake v2. Thanks!

interlace_test.jpg
    1360 x 421 - 296K
  • Record a video in HBR or 720p mode, and then check the properties of the resulting MTS file in VLC. The frame rate of the video will tell you if you have an NTSC or PAL body. You might also try looking at the sticker on the bottom of the camera. My camera says "C US". In any case, hacking with PTool will let you switch the camera between NTSC and PAL modes. Please see the FAQs: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

AVCHD movie files are stored on the memory card in \PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM.

You cannot change the aspect ratio or resolution of any of the AVCHD modes.

Read the GH2 manual. Read the FAQs here. Post in an appropriate beginners topic.