Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • I'm quite sure that we'll get 25p and I have a mild hope that VK might get into the gamma curves. But please, folks, stay realistic. He can't change it into an Arri Alexa…

• I would be glad, to get FW 1.1 stable 50 mbps and time limit removal ...

• GH2 with the Magic SLR 12mm/f1.6/25ms Hyperprime and Pancake 20mm f1.7/25ms. Glidecam HD 1000. Firmware 1.1 / HBR Mode /3200 ISO / noise reduction 0

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Well personally I think that just adding the version 1.1 upgrades to a hackable camera is the most significant improvement we have seen in a long time. Probably I am alone in that though.

• If it makes autofocusing more effective with lumix lens that's significant. As well as the 25p.

• @chauncy

The improvement in AF is significant. Not only can you use the entire touch screen for AF but the camera simply Auto Focuses much more accurately. The focus hunting for videos has been significantly reduced for all lenses.

The improvements in still Noise Reduction are significant as well. I am still not convinced that NR in videos is worthwhile. However, I am definitely anxious to test it with hacked bit rates.

25p Definitely will be welcomed by PAL users.

I really want to test how the NR interacts with higher bit rates in the MJPEG 640x480 ETC mode. That mode gives you 4:3 but it also gets a 4.8x crop instead of the the 3.9x crop for the 720p modes. It would also be nice to see if the ISO 5000 and 10000 in video mode are more useful with the v1.1 firmware's noise reduction.

All of these things could turn the GH2 into an outstanding Astrophotography camera. That is something I have always wanted to do with the GH2.

• Where is the HBR setting in the GH2? I only see the 1080i and 720p?

• @jvalal Did you upgrade the new firmware?

• I just upgraded to Panasonic's v1.1 firmware, and did a quick and dirty test of the HBR format. FCP is telling me that it is interlaced footage. I thought it was supposed to be "[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 30p (sensor output is 30p) (24Mbps, 16:9)*", but FCP is reporting upper field dominance and a data rate of 17.2 MB/second.

What gives? Inquiring minds would like to know.

• @sdbest yeah - it's "malignant" PsF video - progressive in an interlaced container, but there is nothing in the file that tells the NLE it's progressive, like there is in the output of other cameras. Stupid decision or oversight on the part of panasonic.

Edit: As far as I can tell, it does not matter though in FCP - just set the field dominance to none (in FCP 7 or below) or the Field Dominance Override in the inspector's Info > Settings View (in FCP X) [thanks @Mr_Moore ].

I also learned that once original media is imported you can use JES Extensifier on the original media video files to change the quicktime properties to say its progressive and that works, but seems unnecessary now (see next post by @Mr_Moore and http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/forumthread:249812 ).

• You can't do that manually in FCPX . . .

Sure you can: https://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/forum/topic:249812

• The biggest advantage of v1.1 for us is that it allows us to record in camera at 1080 30p while using HDMI out (for remote monitor on a r/c helicopter). Previously in v1.0 and hacked firmware the only possibility was to record in camera at 24p or at 60i while using HDMI out, neither of which are great for aerial video work.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev if it is at all possible to look at both firmwares now and see how they allowed 24p and 30p recording while using HDMI output then maybe it will be possible for you to allow 720 60p in camera recording while using HDMI output too?

Either way having high bitrate 30p recording with the new hack will make this a much more useful camera for a lot of us!

• @Mr Moore... there is no benefit to do that in FCPX , because even if you do, the footage stills render when you put footage from other cameras too. The only solution is to use clip wrap.

• I can vouch that @onlocatoin is indeed correct for HDMI to work effectively with 24p and 30p in camera whilst using hdmi out is to use v1.1.

• Also in my testing with v1.1, when you have a HDMI device plugged in, the menu settings for unavailable recording modes like 720p are greyed out and not selectable. So this issue has obviously gotten some attention from Panasonic in this new firmware even though it hasn't been mentioned in the release notes. Hopefully these changes can give Vitaliy some more insight to the HDMI workings.

• @ Driftwood shall I update to firmware 1.1. do all patches work with it? I have a doubt if firmware 1.1 doesn't patch how people can use gx pz series lens with patch like quantum v9b? The new firmware support auto power ois rite?

• @toxotis70 I’m sorry, I don’t quite follow. Could you elaborate?

• No hacks will work with v1.1... yet... the next ptools (coming when its finsished) will see that change.

• @Mr_Moore - my bad about not being able to override interlacing in FCPX - just didn't find that view of the inspector. its well hidden (at least if you're used to the old interface). Cool. I'm getting to like FCP X more and more…

• @arvidtp It’s hidden so well that at some point I thought one of the developers was playing a practical joke on me. So glad I finally found it.

• Do all new x series lens work well with fw 1.0 hacked? I didn't buy one but considering to buy ... Any idea ? I know all features including power ois works with firmware 1.1 ,.. Hai friends any one tested new lenses from Panasonic?

• Anyone knows if big pro 4/3 lenses like the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 focus faster too? I'm currently looking into one of these babies as I need AF on many occasions but I read on some forums that the focus speed was around 3-4 sec with a m43 adapter on a GH2. Anybody can confirm this please? Thanks!

• You see table compatibility: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gh2.html

Zuiko 14-35mm i think slow to focus, same that 12-60mm SWD: Waiting new GH3 have PDAF......

• Had the 14-35 for some time on the E-P2, it focused very slowly.... If you want to use autofocus look for the SWD lenses, they are faster.