Personal View site logo
Magix Vegas Pro 18, 17, 16 and formar Sony Vegas 13 topic
  • 262 Replies sorted by
  • I can't understand why I pay 200 euro for Vegas 16 update and then third parties want 150 euro for a plug in to remove fisheye effect. A frigging feature which should have been built into the editor itself. Likewise with more advanced titling functions. The whole New Blu suite is like 1000's euro.

I got most of the New Blue stuff included in Vegas 13/14 but the license is not valid for Vegas 16.

So I can use Vegas 14 for edits which need to remove fisheye on GoPro footage. And also apply nice titles. To get the same in Vegas 16 I have to fork out like 550 euro extra. :-p

• @thepalalias

From third party titlers it is most popular.

• It seems like the bundled software has been changing and New Blue Titler is no longer included as of 16. Is that worth worrying about? Is it worth picking up an older version to get that? I never tried Titler since I worked with either Premiere Pro or the “Platinum” scaled down “Movie Studio” version of Vegas in the past.

Looking to buy a version of Vegas Pro this week and trying to make sure I pick the best bundle/version #.

• I work with both Resolve and Vegas. Both work fine. This is a topic that causes a lot of confusion, and I would suggest from reading your comments that you are still misunderstanding this. Start with my question on your vegascreativesoftware forum post.

• "Most good modern software make auto conversion, work into their own space and on output do proper conversion again."

Resolve here I come.

• Check

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-why-does-my-video-have-more-contrast-than-the-vegas-preview--104567/

Also this is mentioned https://www.semw-software.com/en/extensions/

And to be short - Vegas is pretty ancient software with lot of extremely old code.
    Btw this 16-235 levels also originate in ancient analog times and happened due to old fucks setting standards.
    Btw this same old fucks made same even with 10bit and such.
    Now they try to tell you that it is good idea to put information in this absent ranges.
    No, it is not good idea to do such in digital file format. It is lazy shitty approach.

Most good modern software make auto conversion, work into their own space and on output do proper conversion again.

• @dancerchris

Yes this does the trick. After 3 years of dark renders.

But seems illogical (should be the other way around?), depending on which stage this setting is applied I guess.

• Apparently my issue is caused because Vegas does not convert video RGB (16-235 range) to computer RGB (0 to 255) automatically like most other editors.

I have found the "LEVELS" Video Track FX.

To me it sounds logical to select "Studio RGB to computer RGB" (Since 16-235 (video) to 0-255) but this makes the image even darker.

"Computer RGB to Studio RGB" is the only option which seems to actually brighten the image.

I'm totally lost on this.

• @EspenB

Software must render footage same during preview, watch the waveform to see that happens.

• apply the Computer RGB ->Studio RGB Levels filter to the output when rendering

• I have the following issue with all my editions of Vegas including 16:

Footage is either GoPro 4/6/7 or GH3/GH4 - but its all the same redgardless.

After I have rendered the final edit I experience a slight shift in "brightness" in the final image compared to the original footage from the camera. Blacks are crushed and the whole picture appear a tad darker overall.

Is there any settings I have missed?

I have previously tried to fix with the "brightness and contrast" FX, bringing brightness up a little bit. However this should not be necessary?

• @markr041

Things can change, as trade wars can make big impact on US market (that is foundation of both Davinci and Adobe and not such for Magix/Edius). And BM money source can vanish. Adobe will continue price hikes, for certain.

• I use Resolve. It does not provide 10bit output in either H264 or H265. Or any output in in H265. It still is designed as an intermediate grading program if you have another editor for final output. I do worry that Vegas Pro won't survive, and I dislike paying hundreds of dollars for what are marginal enhancements and bug fixes.

• @Markr401 Magix are most times giving such offers. I had an email from them on 5/11/18 saying that the offer of £109/£164 for Vegas Edit/Pro was available until 1/1/19. Their Black Friday offer and subsequent offers were the same price (but with much earlier cut-off dates). IMHO it's a good program but I wonder if they will be able to maintain their price points against competition from DaVinci Resolve .

• Until December 11, you can upgrade from an earlier version to the latest (16) for just $149. I think Vegas is really good especially in ingesting ProRes and even H265 and H264 10bit video clips. Moreover, the ACES transforms include Slog2/SGamut, Slog3, V Log, and even GoPro Protune flat with native color. So, without LUTs you can go from log gammas and wide color gamuts to either REC709 or HDR10 from many cameras. And the transforms are really good.

Here is a 4K test video shot in 10bit 422 H264 Vlog, transformed to HDR10 (HEVC 10bit) with no color grading, just the ACES transform:

And here is a 4K (60P) video shot in HEVC using Protune flat and WB native transformed to REC709 (HEVC 8bit), with no grading (ACES only):

Note how decent the GoPro dynamic range is, when you use Protune flat.

And here is a 4K video shot in Slog2/SGamut transformed to HDR10 (HEVC10bit) using ACES only:

All of these were produced on a small laptop - rendering took forever, but the editing was smooth and fast. I have other things to do, so I don't care how long rendering takes.

• @EspenB

Well, yes.

Can get used 1060 / 1050 Ti from miners, cheap. Or get on sales.

• Oki. So we are back to my previous question about upgrading the graphics card. :-p

The answer is YES if I want hardware encoding on HEVC. :-p

• Apparently there is no GPU support for HEVC encoding with Vegas16.

There is only Intel QSV which my Haswell based CPU doesn't have for HEVC (only for AVC).

So, edit is 8 mins worth of 4K GoPro Hero6 footage. Lens correction for fisheye removal.

AVC render with GPU: 00:09:08 (almost real time)
    AVC render without GPU: 00:21:56
    HEVC render with no GPU: 01:40:06!!! (basically 4,5 time as slow as AVC)

And if I drop the dewarping the clip renders in just 00:07:25 in AVC with GPU. So the lens correction (which seems to always use the 3D section of the GPU) doesn't significantly add to the render time.

• @EspenB

Check your OS and GPU. Lot of editors require Windows 10 to avoid HEVC decoder/encoder payments. And since some version even Windows 10 require separate installation (due to same thing).

With proper setting H,264 and HEVC encoding times do not differ, at all.

• While I don't excpect to do much HEVC encoding I tried it for fun.

The edit encodes in 9 minutes in AVC with the previously mentioned PC.

The HEVC encode time quickly elapsed to over 1,5 hrs remaining! And there was no activity in the "encoder" section of the GPU at all.

So I let the PC run overnight. Only to discover an out of memory message in the morning.

• VEGAS Pro 16 Edit for $249

with Boris FX Continuum Key and Blend Unit

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro-edit/

• @EspenB

Can go with AMD route getting 2700-2700X + mid line motherboard on BF sales.

Also make sure to look on encoder profiles and use hardware accelerated ones.

• For the first time in many years I found the "task manager"!

GPU usuage never goes above 70 per cent..

This was rendering 4K footage from GoPro with lens correction effects plug in for fisheye dewarping. So a heavy render for me.

Also memory still shows 4 GB available (There as a lot of web pages and other prgs open.)

So basically no need to upgrade anything? Besides for a new 8 core CPU. :-p

encode.png
    666 x 593 - 38K