Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • GH4: 2359k dots OLED EVF 0,67 magnification

GH5: 3680k dots OLED EVF 0,76 magnification

• Any chance the GH5 could have built-in waveform?

Extremely small.

• Any chance the GH5 could have built-in waveform?

• GH5 3.7 million dots OLED EVF.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/possible-full-gh5-specs/

This is a major improvement. With GH4 EVF it is hard to see if the 4k video is in focus. AF is little unreliable in 4k video. It helps manual focusing too.

• How is progress in IQ supposed to happen (in affordable equipment) if codecs can't progress too? h264 was just as big of a pain in the ass to edit and play when it started to take over on cameras around 7-8 years ago. Lots of people complained that HDV/MPEG2 were more than good enough.

Then affordable software and hardware caught up, and the complaints disappeared, and everyone finally admitted that MPEG2 really wasn't good enough. The exact same cycle is starting to happen now, just without such a clear successor to h264. Will it be h265? VP9? Something else?

My 5yr-old computer with an i7 2600K and a GTS450 can play h265 files fairly well in VLC. Edit, no, but I don't expect that on such old hardware. If the GH5, or whatever my next camera is, uses h265 or some other new codec, I'll happily deal with transcoding, or try the proxy workflow in the new Premiere CC.

• if you are editing the cpu does the decoder, the gpu does only the real time effects.

Please, let's move to other topic, as people here not much interested in this details.

To be short - it is incorrect. GPU is complex thing, decoding is done by fixed logic video block (same as in Intel CPUs with QuickSync), all effects is done using code written for specific GPU (Cuda or OpenCL).

• if you are just doing a playback, the gpu can do.

but problem is:

if you are editing the cpu does the decoder, the gpu does only the real time effects.

so h265 will need a new cpu, and a new cpu will need a new motherboard, new memory, new computer...

• If I buy a new camera I do not want to buy a new computer...

You don't need to. Cheap GPU will do.

• "This is absolutely not true. Every last GPU, including quite cheap as well as latest CPUs have hardware acceleration, no problems."

If I buy a new camera I do not want to buy a new computer...

• If future cameras become only H265 recording the files will need transcoding before editing because decoding 4k h265 for playback is impossible in real time in computers we have today.

This is absolutely not true. Every last GPU, including quite cheap as well as latest CPUs have hardware acceleration, no problems.

• I hope Panasonic and other manufacturers keep the cameras recording in MP4 H264. H264 can record 4k 10bit 60p.

Computers and editing softwares can decode and playback 4k mp4 h264 in real time, it is possible to edit using the original files, no need transcoding before editing.

If future cameras become only H265 recording the files will need transcoding before editing because decoding 4k h265 for playback is impossible in real time in computers we have today.

Transcode lots of files before editing will be a pain in the ass.

• Konosuke Matsushita, Panasonic Founder, Principles

1. The mission of the company is to enrich society
    2. Company’s vision must be driven by the aspirations of its customers
    3. In the long run, the public opinion is right
    4. Don’t sell customers goods that they are attracted to; sell them goods that will benefit them
    5. Treat your products like your children
    6. Any waste will increase the price of the product
    7. Stick to fair prices
    8. After-sales service is more important than assistance before sales; it is through such service that one gets permanent customers
    9. Use complaints to strengthen ties with your customer
    10. To be out-of-stock is due to carelessness; if this happens, apologize to your customers, and deliver the goods as soon as you can

It seems that current Panasonic management carefully read them and do exactly opposite.

• Someone at B&H mistakingly posted the announcement date of January 4, and that the company will accept preorders then. Even though the information is correct, I don't think the posting was sanctioned by Pana, and it has since been taken down.

• @crammond

What is this link for?

• Well they need to give people something to talk about which they haven't. So there coming out with a new camera big deal what's the details make us drool with anticipation. Also they need to out do Olympus which has lots to talk about now. It will get really interesting when we are comparing the 2 Micro 4/3 flagships because Panasonic suddenly has some competition who are also first out of the gate. Translated as they may have already lost some future customers for the GH5.

• @Tron

A lower launch price than the E-M1 MkII would be a good rumor to revitalize interest :)

Well, everyone want to keep their place, and top management won't like any rumors about lower price.

• A lower launch price than the E-M1 MkII would be a good rumor to revitalize interest :)

• People are tired of waiting GH5. Panasonic has leaked so little info about GH5 that it is hard to think new speculations. Everything has been said many times.

• Panasonic GH5 will be available for preorder on January 4th according to BHphoto

43rumors as usual jumps ahead.

Only thing I know is that Panasonic office is very upset that interest to camera vanished so quickly. It is not same self sustaining talks it was with GH4.

• I'm trying to figure out what kind of file will come out from a 6k photo mode shooting. Any thoughts?

H.264 MP4.

• I'm trying to figure out what kind of file will come out from a 6k photo mode shooting. Any thoughts?

• This isn't new news. Rumors have been going around about the 6K burst mode since their announcement.

• New rumors say the GH5 HAS 6000 pixel wide sensor.

6000 x 3375 pix sensor = 20.25 Mpixel

• If each one was one stop better, that would be four stops total since GH1.

May be all the fuss with GH5 is that it will be night vision camera? :-)