Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • The Panasonic GH5 will ship in very early Spring according to my trusted sources.

Panasonic marketing sensed that interest to camera vanished so they made up few leaks.

• As known new Olympus camera has some video quality issues.

One Panasonic insider told that GH5 prototypes also have severe video issues for now. And that spring leaks had mostly one goal - to kick developer team butts so they could accelerate work and fix issues.

• If that is true, it seems early adopters will just be the next phase of beta testers.

• If Panasonic is watching this feed. Would love to be a Beta tester. I am a current GH4 owner/user. I still have my GH2. Started on an HVX-200. Currently rent the Varicam for my bigger projects, if loyalty counts for anything.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev What video quality issues with Olympus? Did not see anything published.

• !080p is nothing to write home to mother about. No Slo Mo to talk about.

I am really interested in it for the 4k with the stabilization with say the 12-100mm lens. Sounds hard to beat, but hoping the GH5 has some kind of IBIS, knowing it will be a overall better video camera than the Oly.

• Every one is comparing the GH5 to the GH4, but the G7, GX85 and G85 all have better video than the GH4. I would be surprised if the GH5 is much better than these more recent cams--it;s worth noting that over the last seven years all of these cams claimed to be one to two stops better every time a new model came out, and really there isn't a big difference. If each one was one stop better, that would be four stops total since GH1.

• If each one was one stop better, that would be four stops total since GH1.

May be all the fuss with GH5 is that it will be night vision camera? :-)

• New rumors say the GH5 HAS 6000 pixel wide sensor.

6000 x 3375 pix sensor = 20.25 Mpixel

• This isn't new news. Rumors have been going around about the 6K burst mode since their announcement.

• I'm trying to figure out what kind of file will come out from a 6k photo mode shooting. Any thoughts?

• I'm trying to figure out what kind of file will come out from a 6k photo mode shooting. Any thoughts?

H.264 MP4.

• Panasonic GH5 will be available for preorder on January 4th according to BHphoto

43rumors as usual jumps ahead.

Only thing I know is that Panasonic office is very upset that interest to camera vanished so quickly. It is not same self sustaining talks it was with GH4.

• People are tired of waiting GH5. Panasonic has leaked so little info about GH5 that it is hard to think new speculations. Everything has been said many times.

• A lower launch price than the E-M1 MkII would be a good rumor to revitalize interest :)

• @Tron

A lower launch price than the E-M1 MkII would be a good rumor to revitalize interest :)

Well, everyone want to keep their place, and top management won't like any rumors about lower price.

• Well they need to give people something to talk about which they haven't. So there coming out with a new camera big deal what's the details make us drool with anticipation. Also they need to out do Olympus which has lots to talk about now. It will get really interesting when we are comparing the 2 Micro 4/3 flagships because Panasonic suddenly has some competition who are also first out of the gate. Translated as they may have already lost some future customers for the GH5.

• @crammond

What is this link for?

• Someone at B&H mistakingly posted the announcement date of January 4, and that the company will accept preorders then. Even though the information is correct, I don't think the posting was sanctioned by Pana, and it has since been taken down.

• Konosuke Matsushita, Panasonic Founder, Principles

1. The mission of the company is to enrich society
    2. Company’s vision must be driven by the aspirations of its customers
    3. In the long run, the public opinion is right
    4. Don’t sell customers goods that they are attracted to; sell them goods that will benefit them
    5. Treat your products like your children
    6. Any waste will increase the price of the product
    7. Stick to fair prices
    8. After-sales service is more important than assistance before sales; it is through such service that one gets permanent customers
    9. Use complaints to strengthen ties with your customer
    10. To be out-of-stock is due to carelessness; if this happens, apologize to your customers, and deliver the goods as soon as you can

It seems that current Panasonic management carefully read them and do exactly opposite.

• I hope Panasonic and other manufacturers keep the cameras recording in MP4 H264. H264 can record 4k 10bit 60p.

Computers and editing softwares can decode and playback 4k mp4 h264 in real time, it is possible to edit using the original files, no need transcoding before editing.

If future cameras become only H265 recording the files will need transcoding before editing because decoding 4k h265 for playback is impossible in real time in computers we have today.

Transcode lots of files before editing will be a pain in the ass.

• If future cameras become only H265 recording the files will need transcoding before editing because decoding 4k h265 for playback is impossible in real time in computers we have today.

This is absolutely not true. Every last GPU, including quite cheap as well as latest CPUs have hardware acceleration, no problems.

• "This is absolutely not true. Every last GPU, including quite cheap as well as latest CPUs have hardware acceleration, no problems."

If I buy a new camera I do not want to buy a new computer...