Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I dont need advanced features. I just need basic exposure tools and good 4k 60P. Sharper EVF and better AF would be nice too.

• I think with that kind of price, Panasonic would have to look for other customers.

• "Panasonic would have to look for other customers" +1

• If the price of an advanced version is more than $1999.99 all I am gonna tell Panasonic is Bye Felisha! Based on the price of the EM1 mark II, those manufacturers are gonna be seeing more red in sales.

• $1999.99 is hard to swallow too. Too many other options to pay that much.

• It depends how good video it is capable of producing, dynamic range, ISO etc, not just numbers on paper... They'd better produce something really amazing to be able to sell it in 3K range. If it is just pimped GH4, don't think so...

• You all must remember 3 things.

Earthquake in Japan x2, this means the are recovering yet and need to make profit, since RD is in Japan, also mayor manufacturing of critical components.

Appreciation for the need of a new type of customer. Semi pro - pro, grate results bang for buck the best pay extra for same LSI fully implemented type.

They also said that prices will rise since 2017, on all cameras. Im not surprise mothefuckers (alo nick diaz ufc comment) I expected prices above 2500 easy. You will pay for it cos there is no other cam doing this stuff at any price point. Not in a proper implementable way available for the masses. Its no easy cake Panasonic ! after 4 generations you have established as mayor quality reference in DSLR and CSC market. Now charge your premium.

But after all, it make sense, since they can profit more from what those who make money making high quality with cheap tools for cheap prices. "content creators" for web applications and stuff! Lol. Thats a new market that never existed before.

And those who need that pay check for that past work, will pay for GH5 since it brings more, for better result and stuff.

You will pay since i dont see anything going against this specs easy 8 months.

Ill buy 2,

bung for buck no competition. internal 10 bit makes me really think about leaving those RED dragon siting on rental since lots of delivery are made finally on 10 bit 4:2:2. even final master for client is not over this, since they hate "big file size" lol.

If this baby can deliver 13 stops and really bring 10 bit color grading, men this is a killer for many rental products, just saying.

Now if marketing can bring "new 12 bit 4:2:2" 16 bit 4:4:4 "con compressed codecs more, well, there you go with the loop again!

• $2000 at release would be the upper limit otherwise there customers will move on or buy 2 G85s IMO. The only exception perhaps if they pull some amazing sensor out of there engineering asses that out performs the current full frame cameras. Of course the likely hood of that is minimal but one could hope.

• @Scot

I do not see how it can be $1999 considering many similar things with Olympus and current prices trend.

GH4 price already made big holidays in local Panasonic branches due to margin, but still sales was good, actually they excepted around 4x less sales. As far as I understand their mood here they hope for much more.

• Panasonic will wait and see if Olympus' pricing gamble pays off before they announce any final specs and pricing. $2K is a lot to swallow for any mFT body. $3K would be completely ridiculous for Panasonic to attempt, IMO. That's almost twice the launch price of the GH4. I'd buy a couple of G85s or an external recorder instead.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev They may expect much more, but at greater than $1,999 they will get much less.

If the Olympus E-M1 Mk II sells well at $1,999 then I can see Panasonic thinking that higher is the way to go, but WHEN it tanks Panasonic and Olympus may be stuck watching their competitors scoop up a good portion of their consumer base.

• Thath price dont have sense for me. If the GH5 come about U$3,000 I prefer buy the GH4 or the A7S1. Or saving for a FS5.

• There's no way Olympus is gonna sell a lot of EM1s for 2k - go over 43rumors and see the shitstorm in the comments. A handful of fanboys defending Oly's decision, while 99% of other people banging their heads in disbelief as to why a m43 camera costs much more than A6500 or XT2, not to mention D750 or A7II . Asking 1,5k was bordering on crazy, 2k is simply ridiculous.

I suspect GH5 will cost the same, but it may be saved by a fantastic 422 10bit video. I don't think it will sell well for more than 2k, though. Seems like a psychological barrier for a small chip camera.

• @brudney

I can even make extremely valuable advice to Panasonic on how much GH5 body must actually cost to make a splash.

It must cost exactly $699 for body with 8bit firmware recording and $799 for full 10bit ProRes one config.

G85 body at the time must have $499 price.

• @brudney I love Olympus, but Olyboys are very fanboys, E+M1II could cost U$5,000 and they buy it.

• @Manu4Vendetta

All of manufacturers will cry you on how little margins they have, actually they work at constant minus. But try to ask detailed calculation of product cost. :-) And things will change in a second :-)
    You'll become greedy bastard who want to calc money in wrong pocket.

• The closest thing to the supposed GH5 specs currently on the market would be the FS5, and that's twice this supposed $3K price for the GH5, and is only 10-bit at 1080p. To get 10-bit 4:2:2 4K you have to go up to an FS7, at triple the price. Even in small-sensor, zoomy camcorders, you're spending way more than $3K to get 10-bit 4:2:2. So I don't get the comparisons to 8-bit cameras, no matter their sensor size: you have to compare apples to apples.

Whether or not 10-bit 4:2:2 is necessary or useful for you in particular, or even most people, is irrelevant really. That still leaves lots of people who do want/need it and will pay for it, and have been paying for it for years in other cameras. Those who don't want/need it can buy the cheaper models, and always have.

The real issue here is that at $3K, the GH5 isn't really a GH anymore, it should be the next line up. If it was called the GV-Pro, and there was an 8-bit GH5 at $1800-2000, nobody would be complaining. As it sits now, with the GH5 at $3K, there's just way too big of a gap between it and the G85.

I don't think the GH5 will be $3K, though. $2.5K at most. And that still leaves too big of a gap in the lineup.

• @aldolega

The closest thing to the supposed GH5 specs currently on the market would be the FS5, and that's twice this supposed $3K price for the GH5, and is only 10-bit at 1080p. To get 10-bit 4:2:2 4K you have to go up to an FS7, at triple the price. Even in small-sensor, zoomy camcorders, you're spending way more than $3K to get 10-bit 4:2:2. So I don't get the comparisons to 8-bit cameras, no matter their sensor size: you have to compare apples to apples.

It is fully pointless to compare market prices and different things, actually it is that all Panasonic local offices and various Panasonic proponents want you to do .

Low price limit is not this - it is real cost to manufacture. And cost to manufacture for GH5 is (total secret!) close to GH2.

All this 60fps, 10bit, 422 and such are included only in fixed hardware development and firmware costs, they add zero to body production. Actual sensor and LSI price same as it was. Sensor stab adds few dollars, body and sealing add another, but below $20. OLED EVF and screen prices are actually lower than GH2 ones.

• @endotoxic Good Diaz quote!...but that was Nate. Was I the only one who had him winning 3 rounds to 2 over Conor McGregor?!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I understand that, and I'd love to pay the GH2 price, but we all know that's not going to happen. Trying to determine what the lowest possible price Panasonic could theoretically charge doesn't do me much good, as they're never going to do that. I prefer to plan for what the camera will actually cost me.

• Trying to determine what the lowest possible price Panasonic could theoretically charge doesn't do me much good, as they're never going to do that. I prefer to plan for what the camera will actually cost me.

You are wrong here. Scientist sponsored by capitalists long time ago already discussed how bad it can be if public knew not only final cost of production, but same cost for all suppliers and all intermediates. As they called it - it could be real bomb under ruling class and corporations.

• Ah, so if I fly to Japan tomorrow, go to Panasonic HQ, and use my elite corporate espionage skills to liberate their production cost figures, they'll be so embarrassed that they'll release the GH5 at $699?

Or should we just continue complaining and speculating on an internet messageboard instead?

• Ah, so if I fly to Japan tomorrow, go to Panasonic HQ, and use my elite corporate espionage skills to liberate their production cost figures, they'll be so embarrassed that they'll release the GH5 at $699?

If you will provide prove of such cost few things happen almost instantly - few top managers won't longer work for Panasonic and GH5 will be shelved and replaced by some new premium camera, in this case with body made of pure indium and covered in natural alligator leather :-)

• Lotta pants-shitting over the price/specs of a camera when neither have even been released. Besides, who cares what the launch price is, other that it just might mean you have to wait a bit. If the camera launches at a ridiculous price, and you have to wait to get it because it sold like hotcakes, then obviously Panasonic priced it correctly. If, though, it launches at a ridiculous price point, and everybody turns their noses up at this, you'll only have to wait a couple of months before you find one at a price closer to what you're willing to pay.

I have a "dream camera" in mind, and I'm hoping it's released in MFT, as I'm invested in lenses. If it is, I don't care what it costs, as it's going to make me money. We all want our tools to be as inexpensive as possible, but we also want them to be AMAZING every release. If you're just making cat videos, GH4 is well under $1000 now, and you'll probably be able to pick up a G85 for $500 if Panasonic can't fix the IBIS stickiness issue.

• Lotta pants-shitting over the price/specs of a camera when neither have even been released. Besides, who cares what the launch price is, other that it just might mean you have to wait a bit.

Like wait 6 months before getting strange rumors that Panasonic is going out of business in cameras and slow disappearance of cameras with prices going up :-)

If you're just making cat videos, GH4 is well under $1000 now, and you'll probably be able to pick up a G85 for $500 if Panasonic can't fix the IBIS stickiness issue.

It is good to know that GH4 still suitable for something. Cat videos is also good thing. :-)