Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • I should be shooting a short film in Yosemite and a short narrative next week and my GH4 arrives just on time!

• Can't say I care for the Osiris lut. They all look like they've been to the tanning salon

• Yep, spray tanning all the way :-) Prefer the Cine-D look!

• I should be shooting a short film in Yosemite and a short narrative next week and my GH4 arrives just on time!

May be recent Yosemite events are behind such unusual speed of Panasonic? They are too afraid that it'll blow up before GH4 delivery?

• Yep, Samys seems to have bodies also on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/161280134082

• So now that my camera is on its way ... can someone explain to me the purpose of the new luminance level setting? That's the one that lets you change the luminance level from 0-255 to 16-235 or 16-255.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev GULP! Sorry off topic, but do you mean at Yellowstone National Park's possible Volcano eruption? Haven't heard anything from Yosemite happening D:

It seems like adding that LUT makes the skin tones even worse! Just applying some minor curves might be better for that compressed codec. I'll do some tests when I receive my camera.

@AdamT +1. I'm also wondering the same thing.

• Sorry off topic, but do you mean at Yellowstone National Park's possible Volcano eruption? Haven't heard anything from Yosemite happening D:

It was my bad humor :-) Guys who tell about this volcano eruption assure that it won't be any Yellowstone and Yosemite after it.

• @AdamT ...

The current "broadcast standard" codec "Rec. 709" calls for delivering blacks at a level equal to 16 (8-bit) and whites at 235, ensuring no possibility of out-of-range signal. Obviously if you need to deliver for television transmission you NEED to deliver REC. 709. For most web work, 709 may also be better, given how poorly most monitors are set-up.

There are of course people who would rather shoot full-range and "legalize" in post, and those who don't need to "legalize" at any time ... they would rather record full-range off the sensor.

The GH3 and many other m4/3 & DSLR cams are set up to record REC. 709 as their standard recording-to-card. The GH4 gives you a choice, or three actually ...

• GH4 arrived this morning...I went through basic setup and I'm headed out with a couple of lenses for the rest of the day. As previewers have noted...the view finders/peaking are fantastic. Also, Auto ISO is now available in Manual Mode. One thing I am trying to figure out is how the AE/AF Lock function works in Manual Mode when Auto ISO engaged. Specifically, the AE/AF Lock does not appear to hold the Auto ISO setting in Manual Mode while AE/AF Lock does hold Auto ISO in SS Mode (for example).

No, I haven't read the manual (really?). I'll do that tonight. I haven't been able to find it online, yet.

• @rNeil @AdamT The reason you would want to shoot "full-range" (0-255) is because there will be more discrete levels of luminance within the camera's dynamic range to start out with. If you plan on grading in post, this gives you more to work with. Shooting "legal" divides the dynamic range into 220 steps. Shooting "full-range" divides the same dynamic range into 256 steps.

If you do not plan on post grading, and you are releasing to strict "legal" range outlets, then shooting "legal" is a good option.

• @rNeil Thanks very much for the explanation. Generally my preference is to shoot with as wide a gamut as possible and then clamp to broadcast colors in post (if necessary -- not often in my case).

• I wish I had the guts to buy one of the early ones, but I will wait and carefully read the reports of the early adopters, paying special attention to those who film in a closet with the lens cap on. May the games begin. I sense pulsing in the flat, grey areas but I'm hoping it is just my eyeballs expanding.

Congratulations to all those in the first wave!

• @AdamT

Then you would definitely appreciate the GH4 giving you the option to shoot & record full-sensor DR which would also always be my first choice. Then, IF you need to shoot & upload to web or b-cast immediately (which is never the case here) you ... can. I think both of us will prefer the GH4 ...

• I downloaded the originals raw clips of the Skin test... download the girl with glasses and UPS! ton of aliasing in the white borders!!!

• Here we go...

test.png
    1456 x 546 - 2M
  • Anyone know if you can use the BMCC specific speedbooster with the GH4. In 4k the crop is about the same, I'm just wondering if the protusion in the rear will hit the internal shutter or the olpf

• I doubt you can, but I bet the GH4-specific SB they just announced development for will basically be the same thing.

• I pulled the advanced GH4 Owner's Manual off the disk and posted it to Dropbox for your reading pleasure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46223003/DMCGH4AdvancedGuideUSA.pdf

• Thank you @v10tdi for the manual!

• Many Thanks @v10tdi now I can start planning settings and more to test.