Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Thinking about acquiring a mint =Nikon Nikkor ED-IF 300mm f/4.5 AiS for my ordered GH-4 for tripod based wildlife video. Anyone have any opinions on this combo? Looking to stay under $400.

• @natureflixs

I had that lens for a while with my GH2. It was a great lens. I got a slightly scratched barrel lens for less than $100. It was an awkward lens because of its weight versus the lighter camera.

Personally I would just get the 100-300mm Panasonic lens. With IS and the ability to do software IS with 4K you should be able to do wildlife videos. Perhaps even handheld?

• This is kind of cool, though the name is misleading, since it's not strictly Gh4 footage...

I asked about which shots were shot with what camera and got the following response:

• Waves and Moon GH4
    • House on fire GH2
    • The rest G6
  • Found this on vimeo.

• @natureflixs here's a few samples of a nikkor ais ED 600mm and a Panasonic 100-300 on a G6. Most of the time in ETC 1080-60p mp4 mode.

600mm slow mo

first few scenes are with the 100-300

all with the 100-300

anyway you go, you're going to have an incredible cam and setup for wildlife with a gh4. if you can get a 400mm I think you'll be happier with how well the ETC brings in the critters than with a 300mm.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these insane effective focal lengths work on the gH4.

cheers, pete

• Thanks for the lens suggestions for the GH4. So far I have purchased the Panasonic 12-45 and the 45-175. Need a macro (maybe the Olympus 60mm) and still deciding on the long lens. Sold all my old video gear (HPX170 and accessories) to finance the move to this form factor.

• Has this camera been released in Japan already? I saw several rumors that had it coming out in Japan this week. Traditionally the Panasonic cameras have come out in Japan two weeks before the US gets them and Canada gets them one week in advance.

Maybe it is different this time?

• @albertocvr We have a GH4 and the Zenmuse Converter will not work with GH4. Recording 4K and output 1080p is possible, but Video downlink will not work. The problem is, that GH4 output the setting you selected for recording. Since the internal Zenmuse HDMI converter only supports interlaced settings, there is no way to get progressive formats from GH4 through the converter. So you can use AVCHD 50i only, with the internal converter. We are using a HD Downlink transmitting progressiv and interlaced signals. With GH3 it was possible to record progressive and HDMI out interlaced at the same time. That is the reason why the Zenmuse converter is working with GH3

• @warmupper Thanks, we must wait for a dii hdmi - progressive converter

• Yes it will come, since the Zenmuse BM Pocket can do progressive, this should work with GH4 as well.

• @c3hammer WOW 600mm x 2 x 2.4 = 2880mm! Insane! @MikeLinn The highlights look very well controlled in your video. So impressive, just a shame it took them 4 generations to get a flat recording profile!

• @joethepro

I put my GH3 on my friends 2845mm 14” F8.0 scope and used the 5.0x 640x480 crop mode. 14,225mm was not as great as it sounds though. Atmospheric conditions really prevent that kind of magnification from being useful.

I hope to use my 800mm F4.0 scope with the GH4. That should be really interesting with the 4K resolution on the moon.

• @mpgxsvcd

I ground the mirror for a 10" f7.2 scope ... beautiful piece of glass ... but even at high elevations in dry-air country with no light pollution in sight, the dang atmosphere rather interferes with the higher-mag eye-pieces. Say, 14000" up on Mauna Kea, it would probably be a bit better in "seeing" ... :)

Now, the 800 f4 at the moon on 4k ... with decent air, that ought to be pretty sweet.

• GH4 shipping in the US now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got off the phone with Samy's in California. They are picking up their first shipment today. They should be shipping to customers by next week. Their site lists it as in stock. Not sure if Amazon is filling orders yet or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161280134082

I should have my GH4 early next week.

• That is great news! Hopefully Adorama is close behind.

• That is great news. Have not heard anything yet from Texas Media Systems where I have mine pre-ordered.

• My only guess is that because Sammys is west coast the cameras come in there first since that is closest to Japan. I remember panasonic's west coast direct distribution center always got them first as well.

• Adorama & B&H Photo are both closed until April 23 for Passover. I just had a go at Sammy's instead, looks like they still have stock available. Thanks @mpgxsvcd for the heads-up!

• @mpgxsvcd I have a 12" 1500mm F4.9 scope. I'm unable to reach prime focus with it, even with a low profile focuser. Shame. Just not built for photography. The moon would look amazing closeup in 4k! Check out my moon video in the gh3 thread, recent post.

• @mpgxsvcd And so it begins! Bring on the Cat Videos Everyone!

• Damnit, I'm trying to order one but they don't seem to accept international credit cards!

• @johnnymossville Hmmm... wonder if Petsmart does cat rentals?

• Just placed an order at Samy's and canceled my B&H order. Thanks for the heads up!

• Thanks for the heads up. Placed an order with Samy's. Waiting see if they ship before Adorama, which I'm sure will be the case.