Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • I did further testing of GH4 with various class 10 cards (Sandisk 64 GB 95MB/s, Sandisk 32GB 30MB/s, and Transcend 64GB SDXC I believe to be 20MB/s). I mounted the camera on the tripod and zoomed at the TV screen using Panny 14-140 lens. I tried various combinations of MP4 (LPCM) and MOV modes with different Rec Qualities including 4K (30p, 24p) FHD 200-I (60p, 24p, 30p), FHD 100 (60p, 24p, 30p). I recorded clips ranging from 10 - 20 minutes (specially 4k and 200-I for 20 minutes). All tests worked with no failures and spanned multiple times. Class 10 cards look promising.

@Vitaliy. You may want to start a new topic for GH4 firmware 1.0 bugs and issues. As more people get their cameras and start testing, they may find bugs and problems that they can post and Panasonic can monitor that topic for issues to fix in upcoming firmware updates.

• @Zaven13 That's really good news!

• @zaven13 really good news! I really hope the Sandisk 64gb 95MB/s card will do for continuos shooting...could someone please try recording with this card as long as the battery and space lasts? thanks so much!

• You may want to start a new topic for GH4 firmware 1.0 bugs and issues

If you will find bug, just make such topic :-)

• How long do the audio meters stay lit?

• Always had good experiences with samy's myself.

• I've bought the 128gb transcend class 3. If anybody has this and a GH4 already, would love to know if the card works, especially at the 200Mbp/s bit rate. Thanks in advance

• Any parts of Europe having the GH4 yet?

• I wasn't trying to start a debate about samy's, I just had a bad experience, that is all. As far as the last minute argument goes, the camera was ordered from their website. Their website and representatives told me a specific date and said it would arrive. If it wasn't possible they shouldn't have said so, last minute or not. The only reason I bought from them was because I am leaving the country wednesday to shoot BTS for a feature film for the next couple of months. I was happy with my pre-order at BH w/ a later date, but the notion of getting this camera in time for the BTS seemed like the perfect opportunity to test out the camera. So I was little upset with the customer service, that is all. However this is my last response on the Samy's subject, cuz it seems like a waste of time.

This camera is looking amazing, I can't wait to start fooling around with it! The Cinema-D is looking beautiful, and actually looks like it has pretty good dynamic range for a Micro4/3 DSLM. I am curious to see how well the 4:2:0 takes to color grading, I wasn't that excited by some examples I have seen thus far, has anyone else played around in Davinci or Scratch with their footage yet?

• @Tomaso: "Any parts of Europe having the GH4 yet?" - Unluckily, no. I would have liked to be able to buy one before my 3-week-trip to Indonesia, but now it's getting unlikely to be possible.

On the plus side, this means that I don't have to pay a premium for buying early, but can check for reasonable prices after I return.

• I read here that several people were disappointed not to get one before a significant trip. All that I can add is if the trip is for work rather than pleasure I would have to test the GH4 with its new features for several weeks before I would have the confidence to use it on a paying job.

• @natureflixs: So you would not dare to use a GH4 even if you had also a GH2 with you to fall back to, in case the GH4 fails for some reason?

Given how many people have been fine even with using known-to-be-unstable patch settings (not me), that seems very very conservative... :-)

BTW: I just noticed rumor on the GH4 shipping in the EU from May 5th. I'm not sure I should believe this, as usually dealers are quite keen to enter their offerings along with optimistic delivery dates as early as possible, but in the case of the GH4, I don't see any online dealer claiming a specific delivery date as of today.

• "So you would not dare to use a GH4 even if you had also a GH2 with you to fall back to, in case the GH4 fails for some reason?

Given how many people have been fine even with using known-to-be-unstable patch settings (not me), that seems very very conservative... :-)"

Yes, I realize that I am conservative, but I have never owned this type camera as I come from using traditional video cameras. I think a person on a paying job should have thorough knowledge of their equipment before hand.

• @karl - Jessops in the UK say shipping from the 5th of May.

Btw, it's anybody's right to be cautious about too short a learning curve with new kit. No need to dig them up about it.

• @natureflixs

If you use the same settings that you used on the GH3 then the GH4 is nearly identical. 1080p @ 24 FPS IBP is virtually the same on both cameras especially in MF mode. If your GH3 broke and you bought a new one you would be able to get it ready in time. You could do the same with the GH4.

Utilizing the new GH4 features might be risky though.

• The big temptation to "jump in" on a new project for me would be the Cine-D or 4k, especially for those things where you could either use a cropped final output through Warp Stabilization or utilize transcoding to 1080p just to get 4:2:2 to grade.

But even then it would be wise to do at least a little post-processing to check out how the input leads to output. With the camera in hand would I be wise or ... risk-taking? Hard to say as I don't have one yet ... but even with 35 years of being "sensible" ... hmmm ... ;-)

Probably just as well I'm not being tempted now, though if I were headed out for a major shoot knowing I'd be getting one right AFTER I finished shooting, I'd be frustrated.

• That's aliasing like mad. Apart from that, very nice

• @fancydancer Did you already get a GH4 in Germany? My dealer (Scandinavian Photo) here in Sweden said maybe end next week or more probably may 5 or 6.

• @mrbill Is that on the Vimeo compressed version or on the original file. I can't se that the original is available for download.

• @Tomaso, the video is not mine. Cheers!