Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Oh yes, a wide angle lens that covers S16 sensors from @SLRMagic. That would be great.

• Does anybody know what the sound recording situation is for this camera?

• 3,5" stereo input and onboard stereo mic. supposedly you have to choose between the two.

• Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I tested a Schneider Variogon 1:2 / 18-90mm on a Panasonic GH2 and cropped it to S-16. It works well at all focal lengths without vignetting and pretty good sharpness, just a bit more CA in the corners.

I found a sample in good condition on German Ebay for 270,- €.

You may have to support this lens, since it weighs 800 grams.

• @nomad 18-90 lens sounds interesting. What's the F-Stop for this lens? Do you have any footage you can share?

• What is the bit rate for audio?

• Also, the new sigma 18-35 1.8 will be killer on this cam

• The Schneider opens to f 2 constant, but got a "T" mark too, which is about 2.2 WO.

No footage to share, since my BM Pocket got stuck at the post office ;-)

Actually I just did a test chart simulation with the GH2 to check coverage.

• I like the idea of the pocket camera but these fast wide lenses are pretty pricey. An Optar 8mm S16 sold on fleabay for $1,580. Unless you shoot stills on a APS-C sensor or have a Canon C-series camera, the Sigma 18-35 is overkill and it's not even wide enough. I have my doubts BM will keep developing these S16 sensors for pocket cameras in the future. Wishing that SLR Magic or another company will make new lenses for S16 coverage that is fast seems like a pipe dream - how long do you think S16 sensors are gonna be used by indie filmmakers? I'm glad this was announced, but if I had it my way, I wouldn't want a sensor smaller than m43 in the future.

• Have a look at Zeiss Tevidon 10mm f2, they are not expensive and quite good. Hurry, though…

• The Schneider Cinegon 10mm does Vignette also ;(

• @tinyrobot Yeah, maybe we’ll have a Pocket Camera 2 in a year that’ll have a four thirds sized sensor with global shutter. If that happens, companies like Panasonic might be pretty screwed.

• If that happens, companies like Panasonic might be pretty screwed.

Do not worry, no one will be screwed. And something tells me that BM can have very strong competition quite soon.

• Assuming the image quality is really identical, as BMD claims, is there a good reason to get BMCC-2.5K MFT instead of BMPCC for a filmmaker using fast manual MFT glass and plans to distribute to the web?

Is 2.5K raw/DNG raw downscaled to 1080p theoretically supposed to look that much better than 1080p DNG raw? I know there's no BMPCC footage yet.

• is there a good reason to get BMCC-2.5K MFT instead of BMPCC for a filmmaker using fast manual MFT glass and plans to distribute to the web?

• much better sensor and electronics cooling
    • larger sensor area (+better resolution as consequence)
    • camera actually available already
    • camera actually having raw (instead of fuzzy future promizes)
  • @Vitaly : something or someone? It's a feeling or you know something more?

• It is confirmed that the BMPCC has the same 1080P resolution as the BMCC, if it's all true that would be nice..

• If they look the same at 1080p, I see no reason to spend an extra $2k to get the BMCC-2.5K.

If downscaled 2.5K raw to 1080p looks noticeably better than the BMPCC's 1080p, maybe I'd spend an extra $1k-$1.5k to get BMCC.

• How much are you willing to spend on lenses? After you answer this, then you can decide which one to get. Then later after BM abandons the S16 sensor, what are you gonna do with your c-mount and s16 lenses? Wrap them up in candy wrapper and give them out?

• @TGDude

Since its a cropped part of the same 2.5K sensor the look and colors should be the same, but the grain should increase a little and the sharpness should decrease a little. The aliasing and moire should be less if not non existent due to the 1-1 photocyte to pixel ratio. All that technical stuff aside I'm sure they will look very close and most people probably won't be able to tell the difference.

• I see, thanks. Looking forward to seeing some video.

As for lenses, I'll stick w/ manual MFT. I'm not investing in c-mount or s16.

• I still say that the way to think of the Pocket Cinema for Normal to Telephoto use and leave the wide shots for another camera. It's end up being cheaper to use another camera for establishing wide shots or landscape shots. Heck it seems to me that a GoPro Hero3 would be perfect for that use or a GH with wide angle or a cheap Nikon D5200 would be good.

• If you don't need very wide and already have a few good manual lenses for MFT, it might be reasonable to get one or two cheap 1" TV lenses for wide, shoot on the Pocket for a while and sell it cheap when the next gen is available.

• I'm really debating on preordering this camera. But I might invest my money in two Voigtländer lenes the 17.5 and the upcoming 44mm.

I wonder if they could make a sensor that is actually a MFT size, maybe next time.

The 4k also looks good and canon glass seems to be much cheaper. Hmmm decisions decisions.

My number 1# reason is for the ProRes I wonder how ProRes on this will stack up to hacked Gh2 intra footage. I will use raw occasionally but mostly for personal projects that don't have deadlines.

• I've decided that I'll preorder the bmpcc. I've never pre-ordered before, so I'm unfamiliar with the logistics.

B&H website says expected availability is July 25. Does that listed date usually change based in the # of preorders? (If B&H has too many orders, will they update that expected date?)

In other words, am I better off preordering from a less popular store since 90% of the commenters on blogs say they preordered from B&H and I don't want to be #9999 on the B&H list if I can be #50 on another good store's list, assuming they also get a supply of the first shipment from BMD.