Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @TGDude exactly what I did. Preorder from adorama to avoid all the traffic from b and h.

Footage looks awesome, no barrel distortion at all! Glad I pre-order it on the second day it's released.

• Today I bought a Cinegon 16mm f1.4 for ca. 40 Euros! Yippie!

• that looks very very nice! glad I ordered one immediately

• Black Magic's color science looks like an improved version of Canon's...

• Looking good so far. :)

• Looks verdammt good, im preordering now!

• @johnbrawley Thanks for posting this! It looks quite nice and convincing! I wish there is the original footage as well, this would be really helpful. Is it possible for you to upload it somewhere?

On a side note: is the c-mount golden rush back again? and is the bmpcc the new carrot on a stick we run after? ;)

• Knew it all along similar 1080p resolution as the BMCC, thank you john for posting footage. Man ooh man thic cam is going to be shake the industry, that BMCC look pocket size that's insane.

• Does anybody know if 16mm camera lens will work on the BMPCC? not Super 16 Lens found a couple 16mm camera lens that I want to buy.

• @Trackzilla: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2513-pocket-cinema-camera-c-mount-compatibility-list/

I can verify these:

10mm Kern Switar 10mm SK Cinegon Blackversion

Cosmicar 12,5mm 1.4 Aluminium version Cosmicar 12,5mm 1.9 black retro version no mod. needed

16mm 1.4 SK Cinegon All above 25mm should work (except Zooms)

• @luxis here's the download of the original BMCC footage, although it's w/o sound:

http://fil.io/FL5kh/Footage%20from%20Blackmagic%20Pocket%20Cinema%20Camera

• @killagram Original footage in MPEG2 format? I can't understand it. If you shot in pro res, you get a mov file!!!

• @paglez neither do I. It's whats up there though. I'm just relaying the info so don't shoot the messenger.

• Also you can download the vimeo mp4 file via a browser plugin. Granted it's not the "original" but it plays a helluva better on your PC then it does through a browser typically.

• Download is only 90MB so cannot tell much. Need ProRes files.

• @philiplipetz john brawley stated on the vimeo threads that he can't release the ungraded footage yet. I'm guessing it's some sort of non-disclosure agreement with BlackMagic. The graded footage though (without Vimeo touching it) should be available but unfortunately isn't at the moment.

The link that I posted is to his first posting of the BMCC footage.

• Awesome! It's shocking that this footage is coming out of a pre-release camera priced for $1000. Damn, I want three!

• People should remember this camera isn't even available yet!!! IMO you should all know pretty much what we'll be getting with this camera on the whole. It's based on the same kind of sensor and so far we can see that it is indeed very similar to the BMCC. Like most I can't wait for this camera to be out in the wild and being filmed with.

• The BMPCC is more ready now than when the BMCC was announced last year, that said It gives me an indication that they will be ready to ship @ ship date, and large quantities will be available right away. This is just a prediction, just watching the trends.

• I agree. I can't see a company making the same inventory/delivery mistakes they did on their first attempt at a camera.

That being said, the footage looks amazing. The dynamic range is what really stands out to me and the color science. Beautiful skin-tones.

I'm glad I pre-ordered the day after announcement with B&H. Hopefully we'll start to see some cameras in the wild in early August, including mine ;)

• So with the crop factor being 3x does that mean a Panasonic 14mm 2.5 on the pocket camera will be the same(ish) as the 20mm f1.7 on the Gh2?

• @kevin_kirchman So true the Dynamic Range of the BMPCC is insane, & the color science is in my opinion some of the best in the market after Arri Alexa very similar. I also Pre-Ordered mines the day after it was announced @ B&H, I believe in August will start seeing the BMPCC in the wild. They won't repeat the same mistake as last year it would be catastrophic for the companies reputation.

• So with the crop factor being 3x does that mean a Panasonic 14mm 2.5 on the pocket camera will be the same(ish) as the 20mm f1.7 on the Gh2?

Close to the same FOV. Depth of Field will be different, a bit deeper on the 14mm 2.5.

• Cheers @bwhitz

By deeper do you mean more or less DOF?