Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • If not already mentioned, I ask, is this perhaps the BMPCC sensor? http://www.fairchildimaging.com/files/data_sheet_cis_1910f_0.pdf

• seems to be a lot more performant than the BMPCC sensor, dont you think?

• BMPCC is said to be of the same family of sensor as the BMCC, so this may be the nexus link between the two different sensors, same maker.

http://www.atdelectronique.com/bae-system-scmos-the-highest-technology-made-affordable

Edit: @fatpig, not sure if the specs exceed the BMPCC or the features the BMPCC offers are not utilising the sensor specs, if indeed the CIS_1910f is the proposed BMPCC sensor? I am not that technical with specs, etc. Interesting times we live (or dream, within a dream)...

• BMPCC will have similar 1080p resolution as the BMCC, sensor is from the same company..

• Now tested the Tevidon 1:2 / 10mm and I can confirm that it covers S-16 with a safe margin. Distortion is pretty low, the center is very sharp, corners only so-so.

Please don't battle with me for the 16 and 25 on Ebay ;-)

• I use to compare the digital image age with automobile early years from the end of XIX century and begining of XX century.

All we live today is development, development... great thing is things are going fast.

When sdxc cards become 2TB and fast, RAW cameras will start to pop up from big manufacturers with big sensors for cheap... the standard for video/cine production to the masses.

BMD is very pioneer in what they are doing.

• Has anyone used the Sigma 8-16 on the GH2 and would it translate well to the Pocket Cam?

• 8-16 is amazing in gh2.

• Schneider Cinegon wont cover also ;(

• Tested a Kern Switar 25mm f1.4 today, a 16mm lens with very good reputation. Other than the 10mm, this one covers S-16 without vignetting. It is very sharp in the center, but outside of the 16mm area it get's quite soft.But it's so tiny and well made, I really love it!

I don't have the 16mm for testing, it may just be close to vignetting by a very tight margin.

But you might be better of with those Tevidons made for 1". After all, they were made by Zeiss (east) to spy on their fellow citizens…

• @Tungee78: The Schneider Cinegon 10mm f1.8 will cover the sensor of the BMPCC. It is designed for 1" sensors with 16mm diameter. There are different versions of that lens with different coverages. I had one, but sold it unfortunatly. This is the one I had:

cinegon.jpg
    591 x 449 - 117K
  • Exact the same Cinegon i had too ;( I sold it last year! The silver Cinegons would not cover the s16.

• Have they explained why they chose to go with the Super 16mm sensor instead of a M43 sensor?

• @Flacnvinyl, my guess is they went smaller because of heat and processing for such a small body and SDXC cards. It could also be in order to differentiate it from their other models.

• Because this sensor is only a slice from the BMCC sensor that is smaller than m4/3, and because with a known sensor they could reuse the BMCC software and lower the cost of the camera.

• @philiplipetz Well said.. It's the same sensor manufacturer plus it would be smart of them to keep the sensor the same size as the BMCC, everybody would of cancel there BMCC Pre-orders and jump on this little Beast.. It makes perfect business sense. To me the S16 size Sensor is just fine, they made it 1/3 the price of the BMCC with all the goodies. Same 1080p resolution, this is a gift having ProRess 422 & RAW in such a small body.

• @Flacnvinyl

One reason would be less heat. I have a theory for another reason as well. Maybe, just maybe the BMPCC sensors are the defective BMCC sensors which halted production last year. Maybe the defective part is in the sensor area that the BMPCC doesn't use. Maybe the BMPCC was developed, in part, as a way to not let all those sensors go to waste, and make money from them. It is an odd area of the sensor they are using. Why not the center? Hmmmmm.

162874.jpg
    973 x 517 - 57K
  • It's a different version of the same sensor family. In other words, a 1920 version of the BMCC sensor. It's not a re-purposed 2.5K sensor.

jb

• @Johnbrawley

In the picture I posted above you can see not the entire part of the sensor is used on the BMPCC. It's a 1080x1920 crop of a sensor not a 1080x1920 sensor. Just like the BMCC uses a 2.5K crop of a sensor not a 2.5K sensor. So you are saying the base sensors on both camera's, before the crops, are different? on BMCUSER (link below) you say it's a smaller version of the same sensor. Since both are cropped they are essentially the same sensors with different crops, correct?

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2965-MFT-BMCC-Silence&p=60496&viewfull=1#post60496

• nice - I'm glad the Image Stabiization was on. But regardless; very nice looking footage. With a proper rig and some nice glass, a very serviceable cam.

• Looking good, no to much jello at all.

• Thanks JB